Affluent/upscale suburbs in and near Frankfurt

Suggested areas and towns for a family to live

Pages: 1 2

kato
since DB's privatisation there's been an ongoing wrangle as to who actually owns these buildings
BS, all station infrastructure belongs to DB (subsidiary DB Station&Service), there was never any question about that.

DB S&S just didn't invest in them much, and sold off as many as possible (planned for 75-80% of the 3000 station buildings throughout Germany, about half of that sold already). The station building in Bad Homburg was sold by DB to the town in 2007 - for a planned renovation of the entire area -, the station in Oberursel by that town in 2009 - for five new buildings on the grounds that they now do not have the 40 million Euro for.
NikNak
Bad Homburg and Friedrichsdorf Bahnhofs ...latent goldmines
Absolutely. BH station always struck me as astonishingly commercially underdeveloped every day I passed through with hordes of suited office-workers.
What a great location for a gastropub with large copper bewing equipment, fresh brews (so rare in this area) and a stumble to the train/bus home...

Bad Homburg is oozing with wealth, particularly on the western and northern fringes. It's no accident that the region's Lamborghini and Bentley dealer is there.
Notice that such a small town has a fully-blown Karstadt department store and luxury hotels.

Because of the curious tax system here (taxed by the town you live in) BH has money to lavish on public facilities and events. For example the library is excellent (free DVD hire and a good choice of English books) and going to the town offices to get a rubber stamp on a piece of paper was actually quick and pleasant the few times I had to (!).

BH is a nice place to live, family-friendly and plenty of events. Thumbs up from me.
Jever
For an upscale neighborhood, I would suggest Königstein, Kronberg, or Bad Homburg.

We are an expat/repat family living in Oberursel, very close to Frankfurt International School(F.I.S.) and we are a so-called FIS family.

Over the years though I have noticed the trend for families to move closer to school. We have had quite a few parents moving to Oberursel from Königstein and Kronberg. Commuting, gas prices, lots of chauffering (whether for after-school-activities, private lessons or play dates) took its toll.

So maybe choosing the kindergarten/pre-school should come first.

I love living in Oberursel: close to the Feldberg mountain, but only a 35-minute train hop to Frankfurt.
marie-claire
Kelkheim is another town with some upscale neighbourhoods. Here is a list of properties which includes houses in Kelkheim and other small towns near Frankfurt.

This one would be nice for a family
swimmer
Because of the curious tax system here (taxed by the town you live in) BH has money to lavish on public facilities and events. For example the library is excellent (free DVD hire and a good choice of English books) and going to the town offices to get a rubber stamp on a piece of paper was actually quick and pleasant the few times I had to (!).
Local collection of tax does not mean money stays where it's raised. Five or six prosperous German states are net revenue raisers (including Hessen), transferring money to the other 10-11. Hessen gives about 500 bill, Berlin receives 1,600 bill say. Hessen is well off because it can generate wealth in the first place, not becaus of tax, like most wealthy places the world over.

The sort of services you refer to are nothing special - it's normal. I'd not call it a USP of any town.

The point about people migrating into prosperous towns - rather than stumping up travel costs - is also a general trend. May as well pay more to live in the "nicer" places.
baggyk
I would actually recommend Dreieich-Buschlag just South of Frankfurt. It is much, much closer to Frankfurt than any of the other suggestions and has a new International school with spots and small classes http://www.strothoff-international-school.de/
kato
Hessen gives about 500 bill, Berlin receives 1,600 bill say.
More like Hessen gives 2.5 bill, Berlin gets 3.2 bill. Per year.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.