No idea if this is the right place to ask these questions, but I'm having trouble getting google to tell me the answers, so here goes! Hope someone can help.
Background next, then questions...
I have very old grandparents in Bavaria, who have no other family in the country (I live in NZ so am ages away).
They live in their own house. A recent visit showed that they are in desparate need of care, as they are obviously unable to look after themselves. My Opa, however, does not see this (he is quite a stubborn man).
We have been told that if things doing improve, the authorities will move in and force them into a home, god knows where and they would also take over their assets. I can NOT imagine my Opa letting anyone take him away.
We really need to sort things out before it gets to that stage, but I have grown up in NZ and never lived in Germany, and have NO idea how things work there.
- How easy is it to get places in nursing homes? Is there normally a waiting list etc.
- How easy is it to get a couple into the same place? They would have to stay together of course.
- Who pays? Do Germans have to have insurance for this sort of thing, or do we pay? Or, would they be expected to sell their house etc and pay from that?
- How much does that sort of thing cost?
- Can the elderly be forced out of their homes against their will?
Any help / answers greatly appreciated - I really have no idea and am in a tight spot - as I'm on the other side of the world and there is no-one over there that can help.