Public transport between Stuttgart and Heidelberg

Info on the best most cost-effective options

jnf487
Hi,

I am new to the area and was wondering what the best choice and cost effective way to travel from Stuttgart to Heidelberg. I do not have a car, so unfortunately that is not an option.

Regards and Thanks!
Heathclyffe
An obvious choice would be Deutsche Bahn. If it is to be a regular trip, then consider getting a Bahnkarte (same site). You don't give any more detail, so hitch-hiking or a chauffeur-driven stretch-limo is also possible, it depends upon your needs.
bluebell16
The most cost effective way is to use the Single Baden-Württemberg ticket. It costs 18/19 euro (I'm too lazy to check for you, sorry), and is good from 9am for the rest of the day. Just so you know, it's a pain in the butt to get from Stuttgart to Heidelberg and back unless you time your trip perfectly (once or twice/day). The connections suck, and there's an excellent chance you will be hanging around for awhile in Mannheim, doing nothing.

Why they don't make a faster/direct connection is beyond me.
Agnes
http://www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de/. People travelling by car from A to B on a particular day advertise for people to share the cost of driving with them. Cheap, easy and comfortable way to travel.
leky
The most cost effective way is to use the Single Baden-Württemberg ticket. It costs 18/19 euro (I'm too lazy to check for you, sorry), and is good from 9am for the rest of the day. Just so you know, it's a pain in the butt to get from Stuttgart to Heidelberg and back unless you time your trip perfectly (once or twice/day). The connections suck, and there's an excellent chance you will be hanging around for awhile in Mannheim, doing nothing.

I assume you are only talking about connections using the BW ticket? The best way is IC, not the most cost effective though! There are also monthly/yearly tickets..we really need more info to be able to suggest anything.

I am also having a case of déjà vu with this subject!
kato
I assume you are only talking about connections using the BW ticket? The best way is IC, not the most cost effective though!
For a one-way trip Stuttgart - Heidelberg, the IC is definitely more cost-effective at only 1 Euro extra cost compared to BWT.

There's a direct connection every hour by IC, and a direct connection every 2 hours by RE.

And since there's an active ITF node in Mannheim, you'd also wait all of 5 minutes for the next S-Bahn to Heidelberg there.
bluebell16
There's a direct connection every hour by IC, and a direct connection every 2 hours by RE.
Whoops... looks like things have changed since the last time I tried to make the Stuttgart-Heidelberg trek by RE...
Elfenstar
i'm asking a mod to merge this thread with Cost-effective commuting in Baden-Württemberg since people spent a lot of time in the old one collecting and posting helpful info.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.