Munich Airport to Taufkirchen via public transport

Advice for the clueless on getting from A to B

Cardiganuk
I'd be grateful for directions on the simplest/quickest public transport to get me from Terminal 2 Munich airport to the Holiday Inn Unterhaching at 8.30pm midweek.

I've download a plan for the metro (presume its a metro) is there an entrance at the airport, is it sign-posted?

Thanks
sarabyrd
Here's a link to the English language public transport information. Use the link Timetable information for a customized itinerary.

The entrance to the S-Bahn is in the Central Area and easy to find. You buy and punch your ticket upstairs before heading down to the platform. It is advisable to have some Euros ready for ticket purchases although I have heard that the machines at the airport take credit cards.

You have to change trains at Ostbahnhof and possibly platforms as well. If you have tons of luggage it's worthwhile to change at Isartor or Rosenheimer Platz where both trains are serviced by the same platform.

Your hotel is about 5 minutes walk from the station.
UrbanAngel
Look for the big S in a green circle - this symbolises the S-Bahn. The Central Area = Zentralbereich in German.
By the way, by "metro" you probably mean the underground/subway which in Munich is called the "U-Bahn". This is different to the S-Bahn but only the S-Bahn runs from the airport. When you change and you want the U-Bahn, look for the U in a blue circle.

You can tell which train is S and which is U by the name of the line, i.e. S1 and S8 run to the airport and are S-Bahns. U1, U2 etc are U-Bahns.
dreamer
Take the S8 from the airport to Rosenheimer Platz - journey time approximately 40 minutes. Don't take the S1, the total journey time will be much longer.

After you get off the train at Rosenheimer Platz, walk 2 metres to the other side of the platform.

Wait for the S5, it is usually 3-5 minutes after you've arrived at Rosenheimer Platz, and travels in the opposite direction from the train you just got off.

Get on the S5 (direction Holzkirchen/Deisenhofen).

Don't panic when it seems to go back in the same direction at Ostbahnhof - its just changing track before heading southward.

The S5 takes around 20 minutes to Taufkirchen. Get off.

I'm in a helpful mood today, and used to take this route regularly
YorkshireLad6
Did you think to check with the hotel for information on reaching it?
sarabyrd
YL6, when I compare the hotel's instructions (train S5 to Taufkirchen) and dreamer's excellent directions based on personal experience I think that cardiganuk chose the better option.
Owain Glyndwr
Take the S8 from the airport to Rosenheimer Platz - journey time approximately 40 minutes. Don't take the S1, the total journey time will be much longer.

After you get off the train at Rosenheimer Platz, walk 2 metres to the other side of the platform.

Wait for the S5, it is usually 3-5 minutes after you've arrived at Rosenheimer Platz, and travels in the opposite direction from the train you just got off.

Get on the S5 (direction Holzkirchen/Deisenhofen).

Don't panic when it seems to go back in the same direction at Ostbahnhof - its just changing track before heading southward.

The S5 takes around 20 minutes to Taufkirchen. Get off.

I'm in a helpful mood today, and used to take this route regularly
forget everything else written (except the bit about following the green "S" to get to the S-bahn station), just follow dreamers instructions in the post above. Rosenheimerplatz is by far the easiest place to change trains!

here is a link to check times of the trains:

http://efa.mvv-muenchen.de/mvv/XSLT_TRIP_R...ST2?language=en

just enter "Flughafen M√ľnchen" in the field for "from" and "Taufkirchen" in the field for "to". Enter the time as 24hr clock. And remember, change at Rosenheimerplatz, not Ostbahnhof, even if the link above tells you to.

here is a map showing the location of your hotel and its proximity to the station:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...027874&z=16
BadDoggie
I've download a plan for the metro (presume its a metro) is there an entrance at the airport, is it sign-posted?
No, there are no signs. We keep our public transport system hidden from outsiders.

woof.
YorkshireLad6
YL6, when I compare the hotel's instructions (train S5 to Taufkirchen) and dreamer's excellent directions based on personal experience I think that cardiganuk chose the better option.
You're right. The Hotel's instructions assume a modicum of intelligence, as does finding those instructions in the first place, and dreamer's instructions are indeed excellent par excellence.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.