Reclaiming your pension funds on leaving Germany

Why so many application forms to complete?

Pages: 1 2

empress
Hey,

To reclaim one's pension upon leaving Germany , one must fill out 3 application forms; the V900- must be filled while still here in Germany and then two others at the time of reclaiming ( 2 years from the date of departure). I have ordered these application forms from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung and they were sent to me. A week later a whole new bunch of application forms were also sent; V100, V800, V805, V410. Unfortunately, My German is not helping me here, I cannot understand a thing!

Does anyone know what these application forms are for?

Thanks, E.
Starshollow
No, and I guess not many people will know, either
However: I recently got a new entry into my service net-work for Expats, a tax advisor who is specialized in re-claiming these pension contributions (yours, not the employer's) for Expats. Since you need to stay in contact with the German authorities over considerable time after you left country, it might be well worth to employ someone in your stead. Sure, some money will then not go into your pockets because he'll charge some fees, but I am quite sure it will be worth it - because he also checks that you really get entirely what is your's in the end...

If you want to get in contact with him, let me know by email (no PM, please) and I'll give you his contact information. Just click the link below to contact me.

Cheerio
upasara-wulung
I will leave Germany soon after living for 9 months. Is it worth to get my pension funds back?
Starshollow
that dpeends on where you are moving to and what nationality you are. Many countries (including, of course, all EU member states) do have reciprocal agreements with Germany with regards to pension claims and thus you would not get your money back anyway. So, as a first step you'll have to find out if you are eligible at all or not.
Then look at your 9 payslips and see, how much money has been dedcuted from your net pay for the pension contributions - because you'll only get this share back, not the share paid by the employer. Thus you can see if the total amount is worth the hussle for you or not...

Cheerio
upasara-wulung
I went to Deutsche Rentenversicherung for reclaiming my pension fund. They gave me only V900, asked me to fill it, and send it back around 2 year later. In addition, they also told me that I have to send them a copy of evident that I have left Germany. Where can I get such an evident? Is it ok to submit V900 form only?

Thank

Upa
upasara-wulung
One more thing. I am living in Braunschweig, and will leave in a month for a total of 9 months working. Every month, I paid a large amount of taxes and pension fund. It is quite clear to me that I can get back my pension fund. What about the tax I paid? I have never filing any tax return so far? Is there any way I can reclaim the tax I a paid, perhaps partially? if yes, then how? Where can I file the tax return? Some people said I can do so online.

Thx

Upa
Conquistador
You cannot get back any tax you paid (unless it is any income tax that you would ordinarily be refunded because you overpaid via withholding while you were working- and you will have to file an income tax return in order to do that) just your share (the employee share) of the old age pension contribution. If you think about it, it makes sense that you would not get taxes back since you used public services like roads while you lived here.

When you do your Abmeldung, I would think you would get something showing when you left; also, save all of your payslips and your Zeugnis.
sloth
Why are you not using the form V901 instead of V900? V901 is in German/English language and it is the proper form for everyone leaving Germany.
You can get that form at www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de or you find also a link on my website:

www.german-tax-back.com (just click at refund of pension fund contributions)

On this website, I also provide free information whether foreigners can get a refund of their pension contributions or not.

@upasara-wulung:

Since you only worked for 9 months, the finance office ("Finanzamt") probably have subtracted too much income tax. The reason is also explained at my website. In order to get a tax refund, you have to submit a tax declaration. Now I am working on a guidebook (in English language) to explain how to make a tax declaration and it will hopefully be available at my website at the middle of April 2011. To get a tax refund for the year 2009, you have time upon 2013.

Hope that my answer is helpful.
Clapoti
Thanks for the info and for your website, it's pretty useful.

Good luck with the tax refund part, it will definitely help me also when it's up
decow
Your website was very useful.
Thanks for the efforts and the good work .
kathik
I have to send them a copy of evident that I have left Germany. Where can I get such an evident?
One more thing. I am living in Braunschweig, and will leave in a month for a total of 9 months working. Every month, I paid a large amount of taxes and pension fund. It is quite clear to me that I can get back my pension fund. What about the tax I paid? I have never filing any tax return so far? Is there any way I can reclaim the tax I a paid, perhaps partially? if yes, then how? Where can I file the tax return? Some people said I can do so online.ThxUpa
What Conquistador said...

You cannot get back any tax you paid (unless it is any income tax that you would ordinarily be refunded because you overpaid via withholding while you were working- and you will have to file an income tax return in order to do that) just your share (the employee share) of the old age pension contribution. If you think about it, it makes sense that you would not get taxes back since you used public services like roads while you lived here. When you do your Abmeldung, I would think you would get something showing when you left; also, save all of your payslips and your Zeugnis.
I did this in 2005 (left Germany in 2003 last time around) and it was really no trouble. The transferred the money to my US account...pretty simple. Except now that I am back in Germany I would have to start at square 1 if I ever work again. Although the money was invested for retirement purposes...
dani bee
@sloth. WICKED WEBSITE!!! lookin forward to info on doing my own tax return this year. whre were you when i first moved to germany... thanx for the the info!! a valuable resource!
am_here
Thanks for the useful information. One question regarding this -
I wanted to ask that if i fill out the form V901 and reclaim all the pension funds, will there be a problem if i come back to Germany sometime in future and start working here.
Will they create an issue or just make a new Versicherungs ( VSRN) number and from then whatever i pay as Pension fund would be treated differently to the previous one which i had reclaimed.
sloth
I don't know if I understand your question, but I try to give an answer.

If you have reclaimed your pension fund and you will come after this (after you got your money) to Germany again for work, you can of course do this. Getting a pension refund does not mean that you are not allowed to enter Germany again. But you will be treated as if you haven't paid for the German pension fund at all. Your pension refund will start at 0 again.

I hope this answers your question. Otherwise - just ask again !
mgmad
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but i have a question on this.

I understand that I will only get my employee contributions back when I reclaim my pension after I have been out of the country for two years, but what I am wondering is: what happens to the employer's contribution, does it get refunded back to them or what?

The reason I am asking is that I have a very complicated situation. I am on a research fellowship, which defines an amount I am entitled to each month. Now my contract states that this is then subject to Sozialversicherung deductions. I understood that this would be my contributions to health insurance, pension etc etc, however it turns out that no, my employer is taking their contributions out of my gross pay, and from that new figure I am paying tax and my own contributions to Sozialversicherung. So as far as I'm concerned I'm paying ~20% pension and 15.5% health insurance, my employer is being a total cheap skate as they also get a not insignificant figure per month to cover overheads as well as not having to actually pay me with their own money.

Anyway, my question is really relating to what the hell happens to the money that I was awarded, that my employer has paid as "their" contributions to my pension and so on? I am resigned to the fact that I more than likely won't be able to claim it back, but I'd like to know where it goes.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.