How to cash a U.S. cashier's check in Germany

On receiving such a check from a U.S. bank

Pages: 1 2

Devo
I did a search, but didn't find anything to answer my question. I've also done an internet search with no luck. I received a cashiers check from a bank account that closed back in the states. The check is in dollars of course and I want to cash it here. Is this possible? I don't have a bank account here in Germany yet and probably won't for at least another month or so. I don't care if they cash it and give me Euro's instead of dollars either as I need Euro's anyways. The check is from Bank of America. If I take it into a Deutsche Bank will they cash it for me?

Any assistance would be appreciated...THANKS!!!
HerrDinksbumps
Looking for answer to this as well.. Have lived here for years, and never even thought about checks.. But Opa back in the States is asking if he can send a check...

Anyone??
HEM
I would have thought its far far easier to do a bank => bank transfer but I appreciate its difficult to explain that particularly to elderly relatives....
HerrDinksbumps
I think b2b transfers are expensive.. Like 50 bucks or something..

I know within Europe you can do it with these IBAN and Swift codes or whatever.. But I don't think they apply to the US...

(Insert scratching-head emoticon here..)
HEM
I think b2b transfers are expensive.. Like 50 bucks or something..
& how do you really think a German bank will react when you walk in with a U.S. cashier's check?
IMHO that 50USD would compare very favourably.
perdido
I did in spain in 2000 but it took about 10 days to clear. Would be much easier to do a money transfer but hindsight is 20/20 and I am sure you already know this.

Oh the bank i got the check from was bank of america. I needed to verify the route number which is on the bottom of the check and some other info which I now forget.

Edit: I agree with HEM on the fee and I also think I got charged a fee for the check. Much easier and safer to do the transfer.
HerrDinksbumps
perdido, did you have to pay a fee?
westvan
It's been years since I cashed a (Canadian) cheque here - elderly family friend sending them as birthday presents, Canadian govt refunding GST etc - and back then the fee was something like DM 13, it'll be way more now. And it had to be deposited into my account - I don't think they'll just cash a cheque and hand over the money unless you have an account with the bank.
perdido
Yeah exactly I am sure I paid a fee but when it came to Pesatas it really meant nothing. I needed the money from the check anyway so no choice. Agreed with westvan in that I had an account there and money had to be deposited into said account. It was about $2500 so they took their time in transfering the funds. This was Spain though and in 2000. Things will be diff but do expect a fee from your bank.
JeffZ
You're looking at EUR 15-20 in service charges to clear a U.S. check, and the only option is to deposit it in your account.

In addition, they don't credit your account for several weeks (or even months) because the check can be canceled retroactively (at least that's what they told me six months ago when I last deposited a check from the States).
batchfile
I received a dividend cheque a few years ago for 20gbp - Sparkasse told me they'd charge me more than that to bank it.

Your best bet is to get your grandfather to give the money to someone younger/pc literate in the US and have them transfer it to you electronically. I think the US use SWIFT rather than IBAN but moving money online between there and here was easy enough when we were there a good few years ago.
HerrDinksbumps
Hey, so you reckon an online transfer is possible with no fees?
JeffZ
A wire transfer will also cost something like $20-30, but PayPal charges around 0.3% plus 30 cents per transaction, which is a much, much better deal than you'll get from any bank.
batchfile
Hey, so you reckon an online transfer is possible with no fees?
I'd say that depends on the originating and the receiving accounts. Neither Postbank nor Sparkasse have ever charged a fee for us to receive foreign transfers in. As far as I know we have bog standard accounts with both.

We banked with Citibank in the US and they seemed to charge us for breathing the air in the foyer. We certainly paid originating fees moving US$ back here. Just not as expensive as a cheque would be.
Serenajean1
I was able to take US checks to my German bank they just hold them a lot longer, of hand I think 7-10 days. It then cleared and was deposited in my account. I do not recall any fees, but that is always hard to see with the currency conversions.

Good luck
I
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.