Tuning a Sky box to receive German TV channels

Is this possible?

MrT
I have a Sky plus box,is it possible to tune into the german channels aswell as the ones from the UK?
Owain Glyndwr
no. for a few reasons.
YorkshireLad6
The biggest issue is that a Sky box has no way to switch between the two LNBs (or dishes) providing the channels from 2 different satellites.
Even if it could (or both English and German were all on the same satellite) a Sky Digibox can only manually tune up to 50 channels (and even then the manual tuning parameters are very limited so not all channels could be tuned), the channels will not be in the EPG (so can't be recorded on Sky+) and they will not have their own channel numbers.
All in all not practical, even if possible.
KaiserWilly
a Sky Digibox can only manually tune up to 50 channels
How does that work then? Do you mean that one can only manually tune up to 50 channels.? Coz I thought a Sky Digibox can automatically tune hundreds...
YorkshireLad6
Unclear - I agree. The Sky box doesn't do the manual tuning, the user does.
MrT
Is possible to rearange the channels into an different order?
Owain Glyndwr
no. not with my EPG version, anyway. I have an old box so i don't have the newest EPG like on the HD boxes. It could be different for these but i doubt it. When i got mine I was told Sky didn't want people to be able to re-arrange channels because they charge a premium for the best placed channels on the EPG.
Owain Glyndwr
How does that work then? Do you mean that one can only manually tune up to 50 channels.? Coz I thought a Sky Digibox can automatically tune hundreds...
a Sky digibox will automatically tune into all channels on the Sky EPG. However, if you want to add a channel not included on the EPG, you have to do this manually. The channel still won't show on the EPG, though, and you access it via "Services"->"other Channels". You can only add 50 of these.
MrT
what channels does a Sky card unlock?
The only list I could find was: Five US,Fiver, The Hits, TMF, Sky Sports News,Sky 3, UK History, Dave, FTN and E4?
SpiderPig
A sky card will unlock all of the channels transmitted on the Sky TV platform. Just as long as you pay for all the Packages available..

If you chose only to pay for Basic channels and Movies, the card wil unlock the Basic channels and Movies!

Simples!

SP
YorkshireLad6
The only list I could find was: Five US,Fiver, The Hits, TMF, Sky Sports News,Sky 3, UK History, Dave, FTN and E4?
These are the encrypted channels that a "Freesat from Sky" card will unlock. Such a card can be bought (direct from Sky, UK addresses only) for a one-time £20 from Sky. There are no monthly charges. You can also currently use an expired Sky subscription card to receive these channels although that MIGHT not continue with the new edition of cards currently being sent to subscribers and it is likely that existing expired cards used for these channels will shortly stop working in this respect.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.