Average wages for a nanny in Germany

Au pair pay levels

Pages: 1 2 3

kiwi02
Hi my Partner has started working as a Nanny for 5hours each day, She entertains two chidren after school, prepares the meals, baths them and gets them to bed, the children a boy aged 2 and girl aged 5. Obviously they are very demmanding and constantly competing for her attention!! One wants barbies and one wants to kick a soccer ball. The family seem very happy with her, she works late some friday nights and they have asked her to do the odd Saturday night! How much should she be getting paid for this type of work? Is she being taken for a ride getting only 6 euro and hour? I have no idea what is the going rate in this sort of work?? Would really appreciate your feed back here!!:-)
Kay
Is she being taken for a ride getting only 6 euro and hour?
I think she's being exploited.
UrbanAngel
How old is she? It sounds more like a babysitter than a nanny.
PES
She should get 9 or 10 an hour. My niece is working for a family with kids in Heidelberg and gets 9 an hour.
Krieg
Is this under the table? Does she has any experience/education? You can easily find babysitters that charge 5 EUR per hour around here.
Kay
You can easily find babysitters that charge 5 EUR per hour around here.
She is not a babysitter, Krieg. She seems to be doing much more than a babysitter normally does.

She entertains two chidren after school, prepares the meals, baths them and gets them to bed
I'd pay a teenager €5 an hour to sit and watch TV while my kids are asleep, but the set-up described here (and the duties involved) seems very different.
Krieg
She is not a babysitter.
And she is not an Au Pair and she is probably not a nanny. You (or me?) are getting too Germanized.
Kay
I think "child minder" would fit the bill.

Edit: Ooops, pun not intended.
kiwi02
I think she gets 6 in the hand, she had to go get a tax card yesterday though, so not sure?? she is 22, but very efficient and particular. The house is kept immaculate and they are very specific about things. Even the barbies clothes have to be folded and put away in a special place, and bath toys individually rinced and washed after the bath! haha. But that doesn't worry my partner as she is a clean freak also. She does dishes etc, cleans the bathroom after the kids bath, takes them to play in the parks and definately pulls her weight by the sounds. The parents have told her multiple times how happy they are with her. Just a lil more pocket money from week to week would be good, is she justified in asking? She does not live in or anything so has to U-bahn there!

Cheers everyone, feedback so quick is really appreciated!!
Katrina
kiwi02, you seem to be most active in the Frankfurt forums - is that where you're located?
And does your girlfriend have any childcare qualifications?
These bits of info might help with the rates question.
kato
Ask them for more and see if they're still buying. I'd suggest a 50% raise.
Kay
The parents have told her multiple times how happy they are with her.
Of course they're happy! The place is spotless, the kids well looked after, and they pay next to nothing. No wonder they want her on Saturdays as well!
Krieg
The point is the OP should better get an idea of his local market. getting opinions from people from the south (expensive) and people from the north (cheap) does not help. And the kind of parents would be relevant as well.

As far as I understand she is getting >30h per week, if this is black that would be 800 to 1000 EUR a month. Actually if I were the parents I would better get an Au Pair.
kiwi02
yep in Frankfurt, No qualifications just lots of experience looking after friends and families children, but not as intense as her current role. Although Im a bit messy and she does a good job of cleaning up my stuff so well qualified in that department!! haha Qualifications aside she doesnt really need papers or letters next to her name to no she is doing a good job and the kids love her!!
kiwi02
gets about 150 a week...roughly...Im not wanting to know if they are better off with another option, just whether she is getting the right deal. thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.