Culinary schools in Germany

Studying here for a career as a chef

Pages: 1 2

roni831
Hello. I've lived in Esslingen for about 2 months and have always had a passion for cooking. I was wondering if expats can apply for an education in Germany if they have a residence permit? Also, does anyone know of any culinary schools in Germany?
makkadman
German-cuisine is an oxymoron. Go elsewhere.
flawed
I don't know about culinary schools. But one way of starting a career as a chef in Germany is an apprenticeship ("Ausbildung") at a restaurant. You work at the restaurant to learn the practice and also have classes at a vocational school ("Berufsschule") for the theoretical stuff. You also get a (small) apprentice salary. My cousin (German nationality) does this kind of apprenticeship at the moment.
I think you can get information about this kind of education at the Arbeitsamt.
roni831
Thanks Flawed! Does your cousin do this apprenticeship over here in Germany or elsewhere and what vocational school did they attend? I'm heading to the Arbeitsamt tomorrow.
flawed
My cousin is in Germany. He works in a restaurant in a town near Stuttgart. I don't know which school he attends, but I guess it simply is the nearest Berufsschule for the subject from his home.

The dual "Berufsausbildung" system of work training at an employer and classes at a Berufssschule is very common in Germany for all kinds of jobs that don't require an academic degree.
Most people do this after they graduated from high school, though, so depending on your age prospective employers might be hesitant to take you as an "Auszubildende".

But the Arbeitsamt might know about other career options for your. They have people doing career counseling.
Don't know if they can speak English, though.
Dr. Love
German-cuisine is an oxymoron. Go elsewhere.
You must have had bad experiences then to not like German cuisine - fair enough.
That is sure up to you if you like it or not and tastes vary.

I take it you are Indonesian by your profile and how would you feel if I brush the Indonesian cuisine in the same way you did?
Kay
how would you feel if I brush the Indonesian cuisine in the same way you did?
I can't speak for makkadman but the rest of us would most likely conclude that you don't know what you're talking about.
Dr. Love
Kay speaks for the rest of all

...you don't know what you're talking about.
How would you know?
Go ahead and tell me about.
don_riina
I'll slag off Indonesian food if you like.

1 - they use far too much rotten fish. Call it preserved if you like, but it isn't, it's rotten. Fridges have been invented. Learn things.

2 - they get some delicious fresh prawns, throw them on a wood fueled grill, then waft the smoke, and with it tons of bits of ash, all over the prawns. Ashy prawns. Idiots.

There you go.
BigEnglish2009
Talking about rotten fish. I have booked myself on a one day Volkschule Sushi course on April 24th in Unterschleissheim. Fucking brilliant...why don't you come along Don???
Kay
Go ahead and tell me about.
About.
Dr. Love
The don: Indonesian cuisine - is an oxymoron
BigEnglish2009
Oxymoron....?

Please explain.
Dr. Love
About.
Abuut
About on what you base this "would most likely conclude that you don't know what you're talking about."
makkadman
I take it you are Indonesian by your profile and how would you feel if I brush the Indonesian cuisine in the same way you did?
I would consider you a [s]oxy[/s]moron

edit: This statement is not made in the same spirit as Dr Love. It is the honest opinion of someone who has had extensive experience of Indonesian cuisine and German "cuisine"
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.