Help with configuring an Alice modem - Germany

What username and password to use etc.

Pages: 1 2 3

zaebos
I just received my alice modem and setup package.

I am unable to find anywhere the username and password to connect to the modem.

Normally it is something like admin/password etc.

Instead there is a tickbox thats says zugang something, and form fields only appear after ticking.

With the documentation I received, I am also unsure what my connection password is, as it says frei wahlbar.

Can anyone with past experience tell what steps must be taken?
tor
Your user name is your telephone number, and you can choose to connect without a password.
YorkshireLad6
You need to be more specific. Make/model of equipment always helps.

If you simply have a modem, then it's a dumb beast - no username/password required as you can't "login" to it. If it IS a dumb modem then you simply set up a PPPoE connection on your PC with the username/password provided. "Frei wahlbar" means you can choose your own password. Alice usually uses your phone number as the username.
zaebos
It is a dsl modem, and I do not have the model number with me..as I am at an internet cafe.

I do not know what a 'dumb modem' is, but dsl modems have always had a webpage being server for browser configuration.

I don't know what the tickbox when trying to connect is, I assume I tick it and choose my own username and password, and then connect with my phone number and password of my choice to alice?
SmittyBoy
It sounds like you are being prompted for your ISP username and password. Assuming you have an account with an Internet Service Provider (ISP), just enter those details. This won't be the same thing as, say, your Hotmail/GoogleMail/Yahoo login details; nor will it be anything related to computer level security (like a Kerberos ID, or something).
SmittyBoy
Oh, crap, sorry, just read your first post.

OK, never mind. try admin/password or something equally obvious.
YorkshireLad6
It is a dsl modem, and I do not have the model number with me..as I am at an internet cafe.
I do not know what a 'dumb modem' is, but dsl modems have always had a webpage being server for browser configuration.
A "dumb" modem is just that - dumb. No programmable intelligence so nothing to log into and no need for a username or password. MOST modems are dumb and have no need for configuration. The modem simply modulates/demodulates the signal onto the DSL service. Swervice login is performed over the service protocol, usually PPPoE, which on Windows, at least is termed "Broadband Connection" when setting up your network access.Modem/router combinations are intelligent and need to be configured- not only do they contain the modem function but also the protocol translation, the PPPoE (usually) login and the IP routing functions. That's why we need to know what you really have. I suspect you don't know yourself - if you DO have a modem only then it is likely to be dumb.
zaebos
All modems can be configured, just not always with a fancy web interface. A modem that does not need authentication or provides a web interface can still be configured by sending commands to the modem itself.
YorkshireLad6
Not on A-DSL modem in the domestic market, as there is no simple access interface to "send" commands. The only A-DSL modem I can ever think of that was configurable is the now long gone D-Link DSL-302G, and the only reason this had any GUI configuration was a half-hearted router/firewall implementation to allow PCs to be connected to both Ethernet and USB ports simultaneously, so strictly speaking it wasn't a dumb modem in any case.
chicagolive
Being a Alice customer who is about to leave there crap service. You can not program nor access Alice modems they are locked and only the tech can access them. Which they sometimes do when they reset the modem from there office. When you lose connection which you will alot. Also I hope you have no plans of using more than one computer with them since there new modems only allow one computer at a time to connect to the internet. You might get lucky and get a old box but don't put bets on that.
Timmeh
is it the wired or wireless modem that you have? I've been through months of shite trying to get these to work...the easiest solution is to throw the router in the bin and buy a new one
zaebos
Not on A-DSL modem in the domestic market, as there is no simple access interface to "send" commands. The only A-DSL modem I can ever think of that was configurable is the now long gone D-Link DSL-302G, and the only reason this had any GUI configuration was a half-hearted router/firewall implementation to allow PCs to be connected to both Ethernet and USB ports simultaneously, so strictly speaking it wasn't a dumb modem in any case.
OK...

I have worked in IT for more than the last 10 years, and have never seen a DSL modem that cannot be configureed. Any DSL modem you will buy now can, without a doubt be configured.

Being a Alice customer who is about to leave there crap service. You can not program nor access Alice modems they are locked and only the tech can access them. Which they sometimes do when they reset the modem from there office. When you lose connection which you will alot. Also I hope you have no plans of using more than one computer with them since there new modems only allow one computer at a time to connect to the internet. You might get lucky and get a old box but don't put bets on that.
I can access my modem fine.

is it the wired or wireless modem that you have? I've been through months of shite trying to get these to work...the easiest solution is to throw the router in the bin and buy a new one
wired.
YorkshireLad6
I have worked in IT for more than the last 10 years, and have never seen a DSL modem that cannot be configureed. Any DSL modem you will buy now can, without a doubt be configured.
Give me an example.

In fact, better still (as some of us are still trying to help you) give us the make/model of YOUR "modem" so we can give definitive advice to get you on the internet...
sas
Can anyone with past experience tell what steps must be taken?
I think YL6 got it right in his first post
you simply set up a PPPoE connection on your PC with the username/password provided. "Frei wahlbar" means you can choose your own password. Alice usually uses your phone number as the username.
As far as I recall, that's exactly the information I needed to set up my Alice connection
maekelborger
You can not program nor access Alice modems they are locked and only the tech can access them.
AFAIK the "dumb" Alice modems are actually castrated Siemens routers (or at least the one I've got sat in a box at home is). Depending on the model, Alice set an admin username and password and then don't publish these. A bit of google-fu can in some cases get you them however so that you can log in to the admin pages (although there should never really be a need to do this since the PPPoE details are entered on the computer and not on the "modem"). If (as already requested) you put the make and model of "modem" which you've been given on here then it would help us help you.
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.