Steueridentifikationsnummer vs. Steuernummer - Germany

Differences between these two tax numbers

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

atcanobbio
I'm in the process of filing taxes. I'm prett confused though. I went to the Finanzamt and asked for the Steurerklaerung form, which they gave me.

But I have a question: what's the difference between the "identifikationummer" and the "steurenummer"?
Expaticus
This gets a bit complicated in light of the fact that Germany has just recently moved to lifetime tax IDs akin to the US social security/taxpayer ID number system.

There's a number on the top of your Lohnsteuerkarte. I think this may have been variable in the past. However, you should have received a letter with your permanent number ... in fact, my (as well as my wife's) 2009 Lohnsteuerkarte had the old serial number x-ed out and the new one typed in.

This week, my employer asked me for a xerox of the letter with my permanent tax ID number anyway.
missmargaret
i received an identifikationnummer yesterday in the mail. i would call today to ask about it but the offices are closed and unfortunately my boyfriend is gone off to switzerland for two weeks...so i will attempt to figure this out through the web today.
here's the thing, i am waiting for my work visa to go through. (it's been over three months now, which turns out to be a crazy story in itself...the foreigner's office had been sending my papers to the wrong offices for three months! we didn't realize this till my employer called and clarified that that is the wrong employment offices, ours is in another district. it's such a mess!) so as you can imagine, i am really anxious to get the ball rolling here, i've been waiting long enough. this is the only official piece of mail that has come for months (oh and i have been living and have been registered here for over a year and a half).
what does this piece of paper mean? are they finally getting to my case? or is this just a really late (a year and a half late) form from registering myself?
Darkknight
Steuernummer = Tax payer ID Number. Write it on your tax returns. (Old ID System)
Identifikationummer = Global ID Number for all people in Germany. The only ID # you should need in the future.
All the various govt. systems link to you via this number. (New ID Number) Also write this on on your tax returns as well.
Eventually, it will be the only # that you need.
YorkshireLad6
But I have a question: what's the difference between the "identifikationummer" and the "steurenummer"?
If you look closely at the form it should say "Identifikationsummer (soweit schon erhalten)", i.e. if you have already received it. Otherwise the traditional Steuernummer is sufficient. If that is your only confusion on the completion of the form, then you are practically a tax expert in any case.
missmargaret
but do you think it is linked to receiving a work visa soon? or is it just a really late after thought of registering myself here?
HEM
IMHO its a consequence of your registration & probably nothing to do with your work visa.
Darkknight
Everybody living and/or working in Germany gets a Identifikationsummer.
Whether your working or not, whether your visa is granted or not.. If you
register your address you will get a Identifikationsummer.
bohemka
Funny. My status is bungled beyond belief so I'm not the one to give advice, but I always thought my Identifikationsummer came from the Finanzamt and that's what I was to use for tax purposes.

The Finanzamt in my town couldn't give a hoot about whether I have the right to work or not. They just want to be prepared to collect money.

But I'd love clarification if someone can help.

Edit: DK, my Identifikationsummer didn't come for a full year after I registered, but it did come shortly after I paid a visit to the Finanzamt. And I thought it came from the Finanzamt. Not so?
Darkknight
The Identifikationsummer is something new, they only started sending them out 4-6 months ago..
They have to generate the #, print out the letter and mail it to EVERY SINGLE Person in the country.
So its going to take time for everybody to get theirs.

Looks like your # just happend to come when you went to the FA, the 2 events are not related...
bohemka
Thanks. Well, more paperwork to take care of then.

Edit: Now that I think about it, this has completely ruined my day, and I may even be in trouble due to my lack of understanding, which will end up costing me even more money. This country is like the great fleecer. Low-paid people shouldn't have to pay a few weeks of earnings for help just so they can pay their f'n taxes.
chloe26
Eventually, it will be the only # that you need.
So does this mean that at the moment the Identifikationsnummer is NOT the only no. I need??? Do I still need to bother getting a steuernummer or will this magic personal ID number (which I received automatically after registering my address) be enough??

I have just started freelancing and my employer has asked me to give them my steuernummer....

Would appreciate not having to get another number if it's not needed though!!!
RMA
So does this mean that at the moment the Identifikationsnummer is NOT the only no. I need??? Do I still need to bother getting a steuernummer or will this magic personal ID number (which I received automatically after registering my address) be enough??

I have just started freelancing and my employer has asked me to give them my steuernummer...

Would appreciate not having to get another number if it's not needed though!!!
I would assume that the new ID number is also your new "Steuernummer", however, I must admit the whole business is so confused that I'm not actually certain!.

I'm still a bit confused that my employer has not contacted me for my new "Steuernummer", but maybe it was also sent to them directly.
YorkshireLad6
I have just started freelancing and my employer has asked me to give them my steuernummer...
If you are freelancing then you don't have an employer - using this term (if you are a freelancer), especially to any officials could get you into bother (suspicion of Scheinselbstständigkeit). None of your customers should even need this number, but you MUST include it on any invoice, at least during 2009, so yes you do need it.
swoitman
So, in conclusion, can this new Identifikationsnummer be used on an invoice instead of the old Steuernummer?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.