Steueridentifikationsnummer vs. Steuernummer - Germany

Differences between these two tax numbers

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Darkknight
No, Not yet. It's still best to put BOTH numbers in all correspondences with the FA and Invoices.
YorkshireLad6
The Identifikationsnummer is useless and superfluous on an invoice. You must use either your Steuernummer, or your Ust-ID-Nummer (if you have one), or if you feel like it, then both (UstG §14, Abs 4, Nr 2)
The Identifikationsnummer is unique to an individual and does not apply to companies or other legal trading entities. It is therefore possible for a person with one Identifikationsnummer to have or share multiple Steuernummern, hence they are unique to the trading entity and should be used on any invoice related to that entity.
nomadin
Hi there,

I've been searching the forum and the Google Oracle for the past 2 hours and still can't quite find the answer I need, so I'll post my question here in hopes of getting some clarification.

I moved to Germany in 2008 as a student and was issued an 11-digit "Persoenliche Identifikationsnummer" from the Bundeszentralamt for Steuern in February 2009 while living in Frankfurt. I didn't earn income until Summer 2009, when I was a freiemitarbeiter (freelancer-like arrangement in which my employer made some contributions to Versicherungen) in Bonn. After being told that the Letter with the Personliche Identifikationsnummer was not what I needed, and that I needed a Lohnsteuerkarte, I applied for one in Bonn. This Lohnsteuerkarte has nothing on it that is labeled "Steuernummer," but it does include the same 11-digit number that was listed as my Persoenliche Identifikationsnummer - on this form it's called simply "Identifikationsnummer."

Fast forward to now, where I am living in Bonn and recently did some Nebenjob-type work (transcribing an interview for someone) for which I need to send an invoice with my Steuernummer.

So, in my case, is my Steuernummer the same as the "Persoenliche Identifikationsnummer"/"Identifikationsnummer"? Or is it a different thing entirely? Where would I find it on a Lohnsteuerkarte?

The Identifikationsnummer is useless and superfluous on an invoice. You must use either your Steuernummer, or your Ust-ID-Nummer (if you have one), or if you feel like it, then both (UstG §14, Abs 4, Nr 2)
The Identifikationsnummer is unique to an individual and does not apply to companies or other legal trading entities. It is therefore possible for a person with one Identifikationsnummer to have or share multiple Steuernummern, hence they are unique to the trading entity and should be used on any invoice related to that entity.
And what is the Ust-ID-Nummer mentioned above? Is this also something that would show up on a Lohnsteuerkarte?

Many thanks!
YorkshireLad6
The USt-ID Nummer is a VAT Registration number - you only have that number if you are registered for VAT in Germany. Your local Finanzamt will be able to provide you (or issue you) with your Lohnsteuernummer if you don't have it on any other paperwork such as a tax declaration or return. The may need your Identifikationsnummer to be able to identify you to do this.
nomadin
Many Thanks, YorkshireLad. I was confused because I thought if I had been receiving paychecks all this time (most recently as a contract worker), I must have that pesky steuernummer somewhere... But will check with Finanzamt tomorrow.

I'd say "Gracias," but that hardly seems appropriate given the outcome of tonight's match.
PCDonkey
Hello Toytown

I am really sorry - I have read all 17 threads on numbers but I am stupid, I admit it and if anyone can tell me where to go (in a nice way!) they will be greened.

I am a minijobblerin and so have never had a Lohnsteuerkarte as I was told i did not need one
I have never filed a tax return
I registered at the Einwohneramt in 2007 (UK citizen)
I never received any new numbers of any kind last October
My boss needs a 'Steuernummer' from me and says I won't get paid from this October without one
I emailed info@identifikationsmerkmal.de in May and got an automated(?) reply on the 19th May saying they would pass the details on but I have yet to hear back/receive a number

What do I do now?
Email the id team again?
Write intead to BZSt, 53221 Bonn (same people?)?
Go the Einwohneramt?
Go to the Steueramt? (90402 Nürnberg if anyone knows which office)

Would be grateful for any advice/specially from minijobbers.

If I did get a Lohnsteuerkarte will the Steuer-identifikationsnummer be on it now and will I end up being taxed/having to do declarations when i only earn 288 euros a month?

If I go to the Steueramt as a new customer will i get the correct no. (that everyone should have got by post anyway?) and am I then doomed to filling tax returns each year despite not paying any? (minijobber!!!)

Anybody out there help me please!!! I don't mind being stupid - I do mind having jumped through hoops to have a personnel bloke act like it's all my fault when I have sent all the details requested to the appropriate body and still not heard anything. He then said it's on your Lohnsteuerkarte - but I don't have one - WHAT?!! - but I don't need one I'm a minijobblerin - Oh Oh Well you'll have to go to the Einwohneramt then....
YorkshireLad6
Right now it sounds like it's not an Identifikationsnummer you need, but a Steuernummer (although it's a bit confusing, it's important you understand the difference!). You can get this from your local Finanzamt. If you are only mini-jobbing I can't imagine why your employer would need this. If, on the other hand your employer is actually asking for your Identifikationsnummer (more accurately "Steuer-Identificationsnummer") you can apply to be reminded of it in writing to Bundeszentralamt für Steuern, 53221 Bonn , or by email to info@identifikationsmerkmal.de You need to give them your name, first name(s), full address, date of birth and city of birth. It can take up to 12 weeks to receive a response (maybe your earlier mail is still being processed?). Your Identifikationsnummer should also be shown on your 2010 Lohnsteurkarte if you have one (but not on earlier cards). Your Steuernummer is NOT shown on this card and you do not need this card for a minijob, so don't apply for it unless you do need it other reasons.

Unless you have any additional income to declare or benefits to claim you do not have to complete any tax declaration, for this year or future ones.

Firstly I would clarify what your employer is actually asking for.
PCDonkey
Thanks Yorkshirelad - the info you posted is what my boss had given me already so I believe it is the Steuer-ID number he wants: I have already emailed them and they have the 'overwhelming enquiries/thank you for your understanding' excuse on their automated reply.

So...it has been 2 months - you reckon I should wait until August 19th? (3 months) or would you write to them in German with the details again...do you think they will process a letter/gentle reminder quicker than the original email?

Is there any other way of getting the steuer-id no. apart from the ID team? I really would rather not apply for a Lohnsteuerkarte as a minijobber it will just get complicated or..?! Cheers xxx
YorkshireLad6
I know from personal experience they are slow at re-issuing these numbers. You should certainly wait longer - they've clearly received your application.

You could *try* your local Gemeinde/Rathaus. They have the number on record, but they are not obliged to tell you it.
Maui
Hi, I'll add a follow-up question to this thread, since it is related but I didn't see my specific question answered.

I moved here recently and so I've only been assigned an Identifikationsnummer. ELSTER is asking for my Steuernummer. If I understand this thread correctly so far, I don't have one since the INs replace the SNs. ELSTER won't recognize my IN as my SN, and thus doesn't accept my tax form as error-free. However, it will accept my form as error-free if I check the box that says I don't have a SN and I need to apply for one. I have serious reservations about this since I believe that this is unnecessary, and I don't want to create any bureaucratic messes. Can anyone offer advice on how to proceed here? Has this happened to anyone else?
PandaMunich
The Identifikationsnummer does not replace the Steuernummer, you have:

• a Identifikationsnummer which will stay the same all your life and
  • a Steuernummer which will change if you move to a different town where a different Finanzamt has jurisdiction.

You only get the Steuernummer from your local Finanzamt the first time they take notice of you.

So if they haven't given you a Steuernummer yet just leave it empty and let Elster object as much as it wants, you're a valid exception because you just entered the German tax system/moved to a new town.
teddybear
Panda,

I just went through this, really simple: you write a one-sentence letter to your local Finanzamt that you would like a Steuernummer. Indicate your ID number, as well as your address of course, and mail it. A few days later you will get the official application form from them, which you will have to fill out and send back within 2 weeks! Another 1-2 weeks later you will get your Steurenummer in a letter, which will also say that from now on you need to indicate both numbers on you tax forms, blahblahblah. I'll be happy to help you fill out the form if you get stuck.
I hope this helps!
T.B.
Maui
Thanks so much for explaining it to me. It turns out that in Elster you can request a Steuernummer automatically, so I will go that route and have the Steueramt take notice of me that way. (I just assumed they already knew I existed, seeing as I have already filled in miles of paperwork, but oh well.) If problems arise then I now know I can just send them a letter. Thanks!
Maui
I'll just post a quick update in case it helps anyone in the future. I actually ended up writing a letter to the Finanzamt to request a Steuernummer, which went unanswered. :-/ I waited about 2 weeks. Then I went back to Elster and clicked on the button to request a new SN. This allowed me to submit my tax data electronically but I had to also send a paper copy with my signature. So that was near the end of March...and this week, on May 5 or so, I got an email from the tax people saying I can view the tax decision through Elster. Then on Friday I received a paper copy of this decision, including the new Steuernummer! And today, the refund is already in my bank account.
maskman
Typical to do it with paper work.
I suggest you to buy a software which is good to deal with
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.