Translations of the German 'Orientierungskurs'

Where to get copies of the questions in English

Pages: 1 2

rubytue
I enrolled in a class to learn German, and as part of that class I must take an "Orientierungskurs" to learn about German culture and history. The class materials and the test are only in German and I am looking for an English translation. The questions are from the citizenship test - I must answer 13 correct from 25 randomly-selected questions. Does anyone know of an English translation of the citizenship questions? I am using Leo for individual words, but it requires a lot of time. I am hoping for a shortcut. Any suggestions?
Jon Blaze
This is probably close to what you're looking for: Citizenship test
Good luck
rubytue
The right questions...just not enough of them. I'd like to find all 250-310 of them. But thanks, it's at least a fun way to practice!
swimmer
OK. Here's a hint. The test is not exactly difficult and (keep quiet about this) you might just be spoon-fed the answers to actual questions that will be the ones "selected" for you. But you didn't get that from me, right .

The orientation course is not a "German citizenship test". It's simply a pre-requisite for certain groups in the event that they apply for German citizenship later (and it may also earn you a year off the period you have to wait). Also little point learning them in English if the test is in German.
rubytue
Swimmer, thanks for the hint. I hope you're right. Some of the possible questions are pretty tough. No, it is definitely not a citizenship test. Although the questions come from the same "pot". If I wanted to become a citizen I would have to answer 17 from 33 instead of only 13 from 25, which I need to get the Zertifikat Deutsch. I only wanted to learn enough German to get by, but the bureaucracy requires that I take this course as well. I take your point about learning the questions in German, but I find that I must translate many words in order to understand exactly what the question means. But Leo and I have spent a lot of quality time together, so perhaps we will continue our relationship.
Krieg
Why do you bother? You are going to take the integration course, that means you will speak good enough German to understand the questions directly in German. If after 600 hours you can't speak German I suggest you reconsider living here.
cinzia
I was thinking the same thing. Not to be rude, but the very topic title is highly ironic.
rubytue
I probably shouldn't bother to answer, but I feel somehow compelled to defend my honor. Firstly, I must say the topic title is not mine. It has been changed from "Orientierungskurs". Secondly, I did not learn in my Sprachkurs how to interpret, "Die Interessenverbände üben die Souveränität zusammen mit der Regierung aus" or in which year the DDR was "gegründet".

But thanks, anyway.
swimmer
Words like "gegrundet" should be familiar by the time you get to the B1 level, which is the level that the Orientation Course is associated with (and indeed a good integration course will get you well into B2). I'd have understood most of that longer phrase when I did the course. I could have pieced it together what it meant. If not, I'd have asked. It's a training course after all . That's what it's for.

We should expect that language training uses some language beyond that we have learned to date. Otherwise, it's not teaching us anything. Surely you can ask your teacher if you don't understand the words? Ditto commit basic facts to memory - given that the whole purpose of the course is to tell you facts about Germany that you might not know.
rubytue
Yes, of course I expect to learn in this course and I do ask questions. But it is rather a lot to learn in 10 days and I must study some on my own as well. I'm focusing on the part about the test not being too difficult - it makes me happy. But it isn't only about the test. I really am interested in learning about the country I live in. Fortunately, the political concepts aren't too different from what I am used to.

p.s. Thanks, Bob!
Krieg
Sorry, I thought you were taking the full integration course, that's why I did not see the point.
gypsyMarianne
http://www.isk-hannover.de/Druck/O-Kurstest.pdf

Not in English but the last page has the answers in case this subject comes up again.
whatnow
Good way to study for this test:

1) Use the online study link from BAFM http://oet.bamf.de/pls/oetut/f?p=524:1:1031279109152684
2) Pace yourself, take on maybe 20 questions at a time.
3) Make a short list of the questions (by number) that you missed.
4) Go back and review missed questions by simply scrolling to those questions again.

Chances are, you will be able to answer many of these questions correctly on the first try. That cuts the work down to size. I reviewed the questions two weeks before the actual test, then made sure I went through the whole 250 questions a few times the week of the actual test.

Remember, on test day the questions, as well as the muliple choice answers beneath them, look EXACTLY like they do on the BAFM practice page.
chi-beth
I'm confused, So have you taken and passed the B1 level test? Because if you have, then the test you are studying for is einfach. As in, I don't know one person that hasn't passed it. But you are saying you're looking up all the words on Leo. I know there are some specific words on that test, but if you can't understand the majority, how did you pass the language test before it? And they will explain everything in detail in your course, so if you don't understand a concept, ask the teacher; she has probably answered it 100 times before at the B1 level. Good luck!
Fredrico
Hi there..

I have prepared for the "'Orientierungskurs" and I am ready to do it.

- I didn't attend any classes (just self study).
- I didn't pass B1 exam yet.

Am I allowed to apply for doing the "Orientierungs" test?

Many Thanks for your help

Regards
Frid
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.