iPhone and internet deals in Germany

Tips on which providers have the best

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

mikk_13
I am after some advice on which provider has the best iphone mobile plans.

Me and my partner are moving to Germany in may and we both have iphone 3g's already.

In australia we pay 80 bucks and get $550 phone calls to everywhere, 700mb download and unlimited txt messages. Is there any similar deals in germany?

Also, we'll need internet for skype etc, are there any cheap deals with big download limits?

Cheers for the help,

p.s. we don't speak german so don't post a link to a german web page, and i've read most of the other topics and most are upto 3 years old, some fresh insite would be good.
AncientBrit
Me and my partner are moving to Germany in may ...

In australia we pay 80 bucks and get $550 ... Is there any similar deals in germany?

p.s. we don't speak german so don't post a link to a german web page, and i've read most of the other topics and most are upto 3 years old, some fresh insite would be good.
Do you speak English?
rhody
Perfectly understandable to us colonists.

Bring those two IPhones with you though. My understanding is that Oz (and Belgium) are one of the few countries that don't allow locking of handsets to a provider. Here in Germany, you have to buy from T-Mobile and sign a 2 year contract to get subsidized IPhone. This isn't bad if you don't already have a contract which you don't. If you just sign up for a data contract, you will most likely have to sign a 2 year contract anyway and pay nearly as much so why not get a new IPhone while you are at it. Now, I have a Blackberry and data contract myself with Vodafone and I'd be happy to buy one of your unlocked IPhones when you come over so I can chuck the Blackberry and drop my SIM into the IPhone.

Translation for AncientBrit: Pardon me, but if it is not too much trouble, as I don't mean to interrupt, would it be possible, if its not too much trouble mind you as I would hate to impose on you, but if I could just ask one question...
lazybum
The deals aren't as good here as in Australia or the UK.

http://www.t-mobile.de/iphone/tarife/combi-flat
minga
I would recommend to sign up with a discount provider like Fonic, Tchibo or Simplytel. There is no point in entering a 24 month contract if you don't require the discounted iPhone.
Elfenstar
...p.s. we don't speak german so don't post a link to a german web page, and i've read most of the other topics and most are upto 3 years old, some fresh insite would be good.
so we should do the work for you and post our fresh updates here, translated, just cause you don't speak german? we'll try
Hutcho
The deals aren't as good here as in Australia or the UK.

http://www.t-mobile.de/iphone/tarife/combi-flat
Actually, I think the deals over here are much better, look at the data allowances. The only thing making the deals in Australia look ok is the appalling state of the Australian dollar.
mikk_13
Ancientbrit, I guess one day i should head to england and get some lessons on proper english off the poms, eh?

Plans are a bit different over here, with the t mobile deal I assume you pay 25bucks then you have to pay for calls on top of that?

Also, what does the flat rate bit mean? I might seem a bit ignorant but I assume that it means unlimited phone calls or text for a set price?

Cheers for the help
leeza
Here's a quick and dirty translation of the above website for the Combi-Flat M (for medium):

• Tarifpreis (base fee): €59.95 per month
Calling

• Ins dt. Festnetz (to German landlines): free
  • Zu T-Mobile (to mobiles in the same network): free
  • In andere dt. Mobilfunknetze (to other mobile networks): 29 cents a minute
  • Zur Mobilbox (to voicemail): free
Messaging

• SMS zu T-Mobile (text messages in the same network): free
  • SMS in andere dt. Mobilfunknetze (text messages to other mobile networks): 19 cents each
Internet

• HSDPA-Nutzung (HSDPA use): unlimited
  • WLAN-Flatrate (W-LAN use): included

• Mindeslaufzeit (Minimum contract length): 24 months

And with this deal, you can get an iPhone 8GB black for €1 and 16GB black or white for €39.95.

Disclaimer: Of course there are other provisions, as there always are in mobile contracts, so don't rely purely on this information to make your decision.
bluedave
Can someone confirm to me what I think i'm reading?

It looks to me like I can use the 500MB download and calls to festnetz and other t-mobile phones all over Europe if I get my iphone from Austria t-mobile.

Somewhat attractive in order to avoid roaming charges!

Ok, 500MB isn't flatrate but i'm bloody sure it's enough for occasional surfing.
minga
You can make unlimited calls to all T-Mobile-Austria numbers (unlimited also to other mobile numbers in Austria) and to all landline numbers within EU. The calls should originate from Austria, otherwise roaming charges will apply.
EDIT - Probably calls to mobile numbers in EU are included, but if you check this page, the total call time is limited to 1000 minutes per month.
bluedave
Cheers minga, that's what I feared, no advantage then

What the hell do you do if you are constantly swapping countries then?

Must be many others in the same predicament or is it just suck it up and pay the extra?

Which means the €59,95 M package will not be flatrate at all, bollocks!
bluedave
Just called t-mobile Austria and it is as we thought.

Upon crossing the border into Germany I would be liable for call costs of 50 c / min outgoing, 26c / min incoming and 20c / 100kb if surfing.

The all inclusive minutes / texts / download are only applicable to Austria.

Which is bollox really as Austria is such a small place, I wonder if someone with a mobile phone in Liechtenstein also can only use it within it's boundaries before roaming charges apply?
JOB
Cheers minga, that's what I feared, no advantage then

What the hell do you do if you are constantly swapping countries then?

Must be many others in the same predicament or is it just suck it up and pay the extra?

Which means the €59,95 M package will not be flatrate at all, bollocks!
In most cases folk will just suck it up. Or if you know that you are visiting a specific country often, buy a SIM for that country too. This is what I do when I'm in the UK.

As for the iPhone, if you Jailbreak it, there is an app call SMSBite, which you can buy credits for and you are charged just 5 cents for text to anywhere in the world.
bluedave
I'd thought about that mate but the reason I want to get the iphone is for it's surfing capabilities so just buying a gash pay as you go sim card for Austria or Germany won't help me anymore than paying roaming charges.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.