Help with English grammar

Various questions and answers

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RickMunich
comprises vs. comprised of

At my job (I edit texts for native German speakers), my colleagues very often write a formation of the following phrase:

I always change it to:

But since six different people are so damn consistent about making the same "mistake", I have started to doubt my edit. Is it perhaps a British English construction that my American self is not aware of? Or am I right? Or am I just plain wrong?
It is not a British English construction, it is standard English. "The committee comprises six members." is perfectly correct and is common usage. "The committee is comprised of six members." is also technically correct, but less desirable since it is passive voice and considered idiomatic.
mlaemmer
According to Garner's Modern American Usage, "The phrase is comprised of is always wrong and should be replaced by some other, more accurate phrase."

Using the phrases "comprised of" or "comprise of" is a common error. Many people get its usage mixed up with the words "compose" or "consist," which are similar. The proper way to use the word is "comprise." It is correct to use a different word and say "composed of" or "consist of", but incorrect to say "comprised of."

Read more: http://languagestyle.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_use_the_word_comprise#ixzz0TouElYOm
leeza
Ah! Good that I asked. "Comprises..." just sounds so wrong, but I will bow to your higher knowledge on this one. Cheers!
tor
According to the OED, 'comprised of' is 'fast becoming part of standard English'.
Orla_inka
I say: Good that you asked.
I would have tended towards "is comprised of". My book, Cobuild English Usage, says: "It is generally thought to be incorrect" (So not 100% incorrect )
KDD
Which is the best one to use?
Confirm receipt of the item.
Please confirm receipt of the item.
Could you confirm receipt of the item.

And why?
westvan
The second one. It's the most polite.
bohemka
Please confirm receipt of the item. - Because it contains the golden word.
leky
Please confirm receipt. If you ask, could you confirm receipt, the answer might be "yes I could but I am not going to"
leeza
Okay: "Confirm receipt of the item." Technically correct, but not very polite.

Best: "Please confirm receipt of the item." Technically correct, and polite.

Wrong: "Could you confirm receipt of the item." A question requiring a question mark at the end.

That's my best shot. Although as proved earlier in this thread, I could be wrong.
westvan
Depending on the context you could also probably say something like

We ask you to kindly confirm receipt of the item
Serenissima
Actually "Please could you confirm receipt of the item." works best for me. No question mark needed, a polite subjunctive, and the magic word.
westvan
"Please could you confirm receipt of the item."
Definitely not. It sounds like it came from a non-native speaker.
lamontia
Definitely not. It sounds like it came from a non-native speaker.
I don't understand why you are saying "Definitely not".

As a native speaker this sounds perfectly acceptable to me. It is not a question, rather a statement of request hence does not require a question mark, it is polite, and, to my understanding, is correctly formed in all aspects of language, grammar, and punctuation.

(But my English language exam was quite a few years ago )

Edit: Unless, of course, you are saying that you have not received the item which, given the performance of Deutsche Post, would not at all surprise me.
JeffZ
Sorry, but no competent native speaker would ever write "Please could you confirm...". It's either imperative without the helping verb (Please confirm) or the helping verb comes first (Could you please confirm). If you think "Please could you confirm..." sounds right, your English has been Germanified.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.