Veteran Administration (VA) offices in Germany

Where to report to collect U.S. military pension

Pages: 1 2

gptfreight
Hi everybody!!

I just signed up here today and I have a question:

I am german, married to an american and we are living in the States right now.

We are thinking about moving back to germany maybe in summer, but the problem is that my hubby is retired from the army and has to show up at the local VA every couple of weeks to keep his retirement money.

What we dont know is, if there is any VA in germany or if he could maybe see a doctor on one of the army bases in germany or whatever.

Does anyone have any ideas on that?

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

Silvia
robinson100
Why doesn´t he just ask them the next time he has to "check in" ?
GGRITS
Not according to the Facility Listing Report.
Darkknight
There are no VA Offices in Germany.
Get your Husband, to have his money directly deposited into his bank account in the US. No need for monthly trips to the VA Office.
Infact most Govt. offices insist on Direct deposit, and have for the last 15+ years.. For some Govt. payments its even mandatory.

or if he could maybe see a doctor on one of the army bases in Germany
While the US Military medical centers in Germany can see/accept a retired military person (With a Retiree ID Card), their priority level is close to or at 0..
The military Medical centers in Germany are currently overloaded with troops from the various conflict zones, so much so that normal active duty
personal in Germany have had a hard time getting appointments for anything less that life threatening situations. For anything less than
"life threatening", they are sent to a German Hospital for treatment.

So don't count on him getting into any US Medical center here.. If he has medical problems, then he's better off just going to German Hospital.
leky
Actually getting an appointment at the clinic (at least in Heidelberg) is not that difficult at all, so I guess it depends on where you are planning on moving to. Have a look at the info contained here: Tricare
Darkknight
Actually getting an appointment at the clinic (at least in Heidelberg) is not that difficult at all
For a Retiree, right?

What service are offered in HD now adays, Full or limited treatment? How many people do they have to send to Landsthul
or a German Hospital for further treatment?
perdido
What if they were like a special forces sniper like Mr Rogers would he get special treatment?
Darkknight
Nope.. Still a Retiree (Lowest Priority in the Military system) Same goes for Space-A Flights (Cat-6 / The lowest).
gptfreight
thanks for your replies.

well, what I totally forgot to mention is that he is not only retired, he is a disabled veteran also. and that is, why he has to check in there every couple of weeks.

so, if that'd be possible in heidelberg or wherever that'd be great.

I will have him ask the next time he has an appointment at the VA
gptfreight
we found something here

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Foreign/Medical.htm

I'm posting this link because it might be of interest for someone else.

So there healthcare for disabled veterans abroad
leky
For a Retiree, right?

What service are offered in HD now adays, Full or limited treatment? How many people do they have to send to Landsthul
or a German Hospital for further treatment?
They pretty much offer all outpatient treatment, no overnight anymore unless it is absolutely necessary after same day surgery, but anything that is considered outpatient is still offered, so the OP wouldn't have a problem, even as a retiree. I don't know how many are "sent" to Landstuhl as the patient wouldn't be sent to Heidelberg in the first place if they required hospitilization.
Darkknight
If the OP in question lived around HD, then since HD's medical center is closer it would stand to chance they would go there first.
Then if it was something they couldn't treat they'd be sent elsewhere. But thanks for the info. I'm sure it will help.
leky
Ah sorry, I assumed you meant sent as in via ambulance, I guess referred would be in better context! Anyway the OP was asking about (I assume) routine check ups not life threatening emergencies.
gptfreight
Yes, that is what I asked about, routine check ups. As I said, here he has to show up like every 6 weeks for an appointment to get his medicine and to keep the benefits of course. What we found out in the meantime is, that hubby basically could go to every doctor, as long as the billing would be in english (if not, it will have to be translated by a certified interpreter - too much of a headache for my opinion).

We still have some research to do...

but thanks for the replies so far!!
Sanwald
As a retiree he can also use Tricare to see a German doctor. If you're going to be near a US installation he can have this managed throught the patient liason at the MTF there. They also have Tricare representatives at most MTF's here to help with filing claims from German medical facility's.

If using this option I recommend a Tricare supplement from Usaa or some other organization.

I know there are VA doctors located in Frankfurt. A buddy is currently processing his disability claim and had to go see these doctors last month. So your husband should be able to have his free VA care handled by there.

Edit: I just found out you can contact the Federal Benefits Unit atthe US consulate in Frankfurt for information.
the number is (0)69 7535 2495 or 2278
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.