Second-hand Steam PC game problems

Can't install if it's been registered before

MrT
I bought a game second hand,it needs to be registered online to a steam account to install it,the key code that comes with it was used by the previous owner so cannot be used again,which means the game cannot be installed.
I checked online,it says there is no way to play second hand steam games.
Anybody know if there is a way around this problem?
Darkknight
Nope, there isn't one.. If you want to play it then you need to buy a new key.
Maybe you can find a crack that will let you play the game locally, without needing a steam account.
veronicavonn
In my experience with Steam, you have to have a Steam account in order to play the game you purchased.
Sounds like you got scammed. lol
Darkknight
Direct From the Steam Wiki.

Resale limitations

Games bought through Steam cannot legally be resold due to the unsuitability of current proof of purchase laws. The only valid proof in an entirely digital transaction is the credit card used during the process, but as ownership of credit cards cannot be transferred, neither can that of Steam-bought games.

When a buyer purchases a boxed game they must authenticate it with the registration of a CD Key.[63] In the event that the CD Key that they have registered is already in Steam's database the user is required to submit an image of the physical purchased CD Key for verification purposes, as well as a purchase receipt. Valve does not accept receipts from eBay or known used-game resellers
I suggest you read the entire wiki section, as they are also doing many other shady tactics wither their users..
Valve/Steam based games should be avoided at all costs.. Bottom line is you got scammed, or the orig. user/seller didn't know
about this restriction.
Owain Glyndwr
maybe the seller also didn't know the game wouldn't work with a new user.
Darkknight
Perhaps, but if you play Steam based games long enough, you come to expect $hit like this.. (Read the Wiki)
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.