Leftover lamb

Recipe ideas

marka
I have quite of lot of roasted leftover lamb (lambkeule) which I really dont want to throw away as it tastes bloody wonderful. I have carved it all off the bone and it was roasted with garlic, rosemary and thyme.

So I wanted to ask if anyone has any top recipes for leftovers?

I was thinking about chopping it finely, making a rich sauce and covering with mashed potatoes with fresh horseradish, a kind of cottage pie.
sarabyrd
Matter of fact, that would be a proper shephard's pie for a change.

Coat it in olive oil and let it rest for a few minutes, then fry it with cubes of pita bread and onions and throw in some feta cheese just at the end. Serve with zucchini and tzatziki.
Melf
The title made me think of an invite to help "cleaning up" the leftover lamb
Johnny English
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database...les_85938.shtml

Lamb rissoles - or Lamb Arseholes as they were called in my house as a kid. My mum used to try and mince the lamb in a Kenwood Liquidiser, but of course it would jam, so she would pick it up and shake it like fuck around the kitchen whilst it was running. Bit odd was my mum.
Bell the cat
use the bones to make stock, dice the meet small and add it to the stock with finely chopped leeks, small diced carrot and "soup barley" to make superb Scotch broth! One of my favourite tings to do after a big lamb roast!
BadDoggie
You could try searching the intarwebs for "leftover lamb recipes".

Or you could make pasties out of the remains:

Package of pastry/filo dough
200g (½ pound) diced cooked lamb
100-200g (¼-½ pound) diced cooked potato
optional: 2oz (50g) cooked peas
¼c finely chopped onion
2t chopped mint
salt & pepper
3 T cream
1 egg to glaze (beaten)

Sautee the onions over medium heat until they go translucent. Add the rest of the veg and spices, then the lamb and cream. Remove when the lamb is warm. Divide into portions and wrap in the pastry dough, wetting the edges to make it stick and crimping the edges. Place on a greased baking sheet and brush with beaten egg, then bake at 220°C (425°F) 7 for around 20 minutes or until golden brown.

woof.
marka
Thanks for all the ideas. Of course I did the usual Google for ideas but sad as I am I prefer to avail myself of the collective genius of TT. The answers and feedback feel more personal than scouring the "Intarwebs".

I really like the idea from Sarabyrd, with a few more spices bunged in for good measure! And those pasties from BadDoggie, bloody excellent. Hopefully I have enough to make both.

If we Googled for everything we wanted an answer to, why bother with TT?!?!
Bell the cat
or make a North African Tagine as follows (adapted from aguardian recipe):

Moroccan lamb tagine
Serves 4-6, preparation and cooking time: 35 mins

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 red chilli, deseeded & sliced
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp raz el hanout or mild curry powder
  • ½ tsp tumeric
  • ½ tsp cumin seeds
  • 500g diced lamb
  • 1 swede, peeled and diced into centimetre-sized chunks
  • 2 courgettes, topped & trimmed then halved lengthways
  • 1 leek, sliced into thick rings and properly washed
  • 1 litre lamb stock - fresh is best but cube does the job
  • Couple of bay leaves
  • A few sprigs of thyme, or 1 tsp dried
  • 8 vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • A handful of dried apricots, roughly chopped
  • A handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped

Method

Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan. Fry the onion, garlic, chilli and spices for five minutes on a high heat. Add the lamb, swede, courgette and leeks and fry for another 5 mins. Then pour in the lamb stock, bay leaves, thyme and apricots. Bring to the boil, add tomatoes then turn down and simmer for half an hour.

Taste the stock for seasoning, stir in the lemon juice and serve with mint sprinkled on top. Couscous would be the ideal accompaniment.
shelly5
i've used left over roast lamb to make great sandwiches - brotchen, Aillade spread(mayo and garlic mixed), red onions, lamb and some greens (rocket, lettuce, etc).
Kuzzer
Just last weekend used the (considerable) remnants of a leg of lamb to make a Lamb Jalfrezi with the marvellous "Curry Magic" powder and a Rogan Josh with Patak's RJ paste.

Both totally delicious - naan and a spinach bhajee on the side - and plenty for another meal for two now living in the freezer.

K
Darkknight
Putt the meat off the bones, and make K-Bobs.. Lots of K-Bobs..
Kuzzer
Sorry - it's the voices in my head - but I just can't get the mental picture of a cooked leg of lamb on the floor, and Bernhardt Langer knocking bits off it with his "Ping"...
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.