Changing the decimal separator in Microsoft Excel - Germany

English/German number formatting, how to do this

Pages: 1 2

meikeerik
Not the best title, feel free to edit for accuracy.

Here is my question:

Trying to do an Excel spreadsheet (minor accounting) and I need to use a comma where in the US one would usually use a period i.e. €12,45 instead of €12.24. This confuses the program and is causing problems with functions, etc. Is there a way to switch this over somewhere? Have been searching around the software preferences, but no luck thus far. I know Excel basics, but I wouldn't consider myself adequate. Help!
TroutKing
In Office 2007, open the Excel Options window, select "Extended" (Erweitert in my German version)... at the bottom of the first group "Edit options" (Optionen bearbeiten), there is a checkbox to override the default decimal separator.

I can only assume the procedure is similar in Excel 2003 or earlier versions.
Keydeck
In 2003 it's Tools --> Options --> International where you can set what the 'decimal separator' is.
TroutKing
Okay, then I assumed wrongly.
meikeerik
Thanks guys.

I'm using 2004 for Mac. Didn't find either option. But looking around for "decimal separator". At least I know now what exactly I'm looking for.
Keydeck
Twas close enough to find it easily, TK.
Small Town Boy
Right-click, select "Format cells" and change under "Number".
meikeerik
No to seem dense, STB, but where exactly under "Number". I know I can use a general number, but if I want use currency where do I switch the decimal separator?
Small Town Boy
Try the "Currency" or "Accounting" tabs.
meikeerik
Mmh, under "Currency" it gives me the option to select how many decimal places and what currency symbol, but not to change the separator. Tried choosing Euro, but it still gives me a period.
don_riina
Spend your time more productively by just writing offensive emails to whatever krout muppet asked you to get rid of the proper decimal symbol, and you a thousand separator instead. Point out other frailties he might have, like not being normal and using normal time, but pissballing about with fucking "fiscal years". December 2008. Which is 12/2008. Unless you are a finance twat, in which case it is fucking 03/2009 or some shit. Idiots.
meikeerik
Don_Riina - thanks for breaking the tension. I pretty much had the same thoughts...
meikeerik
No luck with "Accounting" either...
TroutKing
Google tells me there is no way to change the decimal separator in Mac Excel 2004.

If you're desperate, open the MacOS system settings and change your region from UK or US to Germany. Log out, log in, open Excel. Might/should work. However, this will affect ALL apps, not just Excel.

Btw, it is NOT sufficient to override the system's default decimal separator, as Excel's internationalisation seems to be a bit buggy. (It always uses the region's default, and ignores any overrides. Hence the required region change.)

Keep in mind this is all very theoretical advice: I haven't been within five miles of a Mac since I bought my iPod in an iStore last autumn.
meikeerik
Thanks TroutKing,
Very kind to find this for me.
Just found same info on Google. Back to counting beans.
M
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.