Freezing point of beer - Germany

Can I store my booze on the balcony?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Tomasino
Anyone know the degrees?

Liking having it outside, but don't want the bottles to explode.
penelope pitstop
You're OK I think - put a beer in the freezer the other night to cool down quick and that is much
colder than outside and yes, it did explode after a few hours but -5 C is no problem. If you are worried, just
put a blanket over the bottles or keep them close to the flat wall - no probs...
Darkknight
It all Depends on the alcohol content, other solubles in the solution would affect this as well.
With that said, your avg. 3-5% alcohol content beer will start to freeze at around 28°F (-2c)

Watch this beer freeze solid in 30 seconds..

penelope pitstop
your avg. 3-5% alcohol content beer will start to freeze at around 28°F
I have been here too long - ´what is that in centigrade?

Oh, by the way, what does that video prove - sorry I did not understand it but then that
is perhaps just me...
Darkknight
Temp F to C = See above post..
Video = Doesn't prove anything.. Its just cool to watch. Although if somebody asks how Long it takes, you can say 30 seconds and show them the vid.
So in this case.. Its just you.
Crawlie
The video is so old
UrbanAngel
Why, did beer freeze differently in 2008?
penelope pitstop
Thanks for editing that for me - I am now in the picture.
HellesAngel
Beer left on the balcony at the moment will freeze, but if it's not in pressurised bottles it won't come to any harm...
Owain Glyndwr
i have a crate of beer on the patio and it hasn't frozen. I drank some last night and it was perfect. This must be because the actual temperature next to the house is a lot warmer than the temperature measured at the weather sites.
djgrazy
be carefull, this global warming thingy that ALL SCIENTISTS AGREE UPON might kick in at any moment, you wouldn't want warm beer would you?
Lupo
Well, last night it hit around -10C so I did haul in my beer crate from the balcony. A "normal" beer like mentioned above will freeze around -2C...but I think the temp of the corner of a balcony (and next to the wall) here in Munich is warmer than the official temp. Someone with a portable thermometer could probably enlighten us...

On the bright side, this is how ice beer is made i.e. some of the water is frozen out leaving the remaining beer stronger in alcohol concentration.
Owain Glyndwr
doesn't the 2 degrees only apply to beer in an open container? (5% beer should freeze at about 2,5 degrees to be more precise) Beer in a bottle is under slight pressure so the freezing temp should be lower, shouldn't it?
Allershausen
If you get a beer that's been out in really cold conditions, but is still liquid, it can freeze almost instantly as soon as the top comes off. I've always assumed that it's because it was under pressure, which as you say should lower the freezing point. If a beer freezes, but doesn't break the bottle and you let it thaw unopened it will still be fizzy, but if you open it and let it thaw it will be flat as a witches tit, presumably the gas gets reabsorbed with the top on, but escapes with the top off.
Lupo
doesn't the 2 degrees only apply to beer in an open container? (5% beer should freeze at about 2,5 degrees to be more precise) Beer in a bottle is under slight pressure so the freezing temp should be lower, shouldn't it?
I´m not a physicist but if you look at a phase diagram of water you are correct in stating that increasing the pressure results in lowering the freezing point. However, I believe this is negligible in the realm of beer. The brewery pressure is set at around 0.8 Bar (gage pressure and for a standard Lager beer at 3C) and is thus fairly comparable with the data for an open system. Again the best way to do this is empirically, maybe I´ll get around to it sometime!
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.