Which is the least racist country? - Germany

Germany, UK, US, Canada, or Australia?

17 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Last »

DanielF
If an Asian claim, I want to be the president or chancellor of your country. What will you react? Laugh and think I am mad, don't you?
I remember when I was in a german language class. I told the german teacher, after I finished the language class, I would like to join the Bundeswehr(Federal Defence Force). The teacher said, "komisch, ein chinese in Bundeswehr, komisch!" (strange, a Chinese man in Federal Defence Force, strange!). At that time I realise Germany is not the country that I can devote myself.
wasn't there an asian the president of peru pretty recently?

Personally, if I moved to an african or asian country, I wouldn't expect too much of a chance to become president, but I don't know if I would put that down to racism. First of all, it takes, usually, a pretty extraordinary person to become president or chancellor of a country in the first place. They have to have, at the very least, very well-honed political instincts and the ability to deal with other people very well. Secondly, if I was living in an asian country, I would be different, to some extent, would not have been born in the country, know less about the country, and the issues/concerns of the people there, I would think. This would put me at a disadvantage. I would be a stranger in a foreign land, for the first years at least, why would that qualify me to be the leader of the country like.

also, just because one individual teacher/person said something to you like that does not mean everybody is like that, and i'm sorry, but it is just blind and stupid to think it is. On my first day in a german school the teacher asked me how I was I finding it. I said I was finding it had to understand because everyone was talking so fast - I was 17. He then replied in anger, "should I talk very slowly just for you?", which was not the intented meaning of my statement at all. For the next few weeks I found him an unfriendly and unhelpful teacher. He was one man. If I was to think because of that incident that every german (teacher) is like this it would be completely stupid of me. He himself was a dick with issues, but it doesn't mean everyone else is. Similarly on that trip I was treated pretty badly by my exchange student. After me doing so much for him in Ireland, he basically left me to my own devices, I was "ihm egal" totally, and it was a bad mark on the trip. He again was another dickhead. Him, not all germans. It would be completely stupid of me to think that all germans were dicks because of one individual person.

and, maybe that teacher genuinely was being a dick with you. But maybe he just thought it was strange. Nothing really wrong with that, as long as he realises in time that it is ok (maybe he didn't, if so, a dick.) If an african guy became a police officer here in ireland, or asian, whatever, I would think it'd be cool, but there is no denying its different. Of course it is.

why do you think because one german teacher said something like that to you, you cannot devote yourself to the country. One person. I'm sure there are lots of germans who would be delighted for you to serve the country.

also, what makes you think that a european in asia or africa would be better treated there than an asian or african in europe? or do not think that?
miwild
... (strange, a Chinese man in Federal Defence Force, strange!) ...
Not only strange but impossible ... due to the fact that German citizenship is a legal precondition for becoming a soldier in the Bundeswehr:

Soldatengesetz

§ 37 Voraussetzung der Berufung

In das Dienstverhältnis eines Berufssoldaten oder eines Soldaten auf Zeit darf nur berufen werden, wer

1. Deutscher im Sinne des Artikels 116 des Grundgesetzes ist ...
DanielF
is there anything wrong with having to be a citizen of the country to join the army?
tom_a
There was a half-Japanese guy in college with me, who looked quite Japanese, but had a German passport. He did serve in the Bundeswehr, and he was (presumably still is) an active member of the CSU. He never mentioned anything about having experienced racism, even though he grew up in rural Niederbayern where he was the only exotic-looking face around at the time. Possibly he was too polite to talk about negative experiences, but I can confirm that he was popular in college, finished with excellent grades, and now has an obscenely well-paid job with a German financial institution in Frankfurt. He'll probably never be chancellor of Germany, though.
tom_a
If an Asian claim, I want to be the president or chancellor of your country. What will you react? Laugh and think I am mad, don't you?
At least as far as the US is concerned, you can definitely never become president, because you weren't born as a US citizen. In that respect Germany (and presumably most other Western countries) are less restrictive, because no other country (as far as I am aware) has this requirement, it's technically enough if you've become a naturalized citizen at some point along the way.
perdido
Damn wrong thread I was hoping for NASCAR or is it Formula 1? Same thing really...
happyradio
if you think Germany/Europe is racist perhaps you ought to try India, the worst fascist in the world and China is not all that better either. Ask any black man that has travelled through China and they'd have millions of stories to make most sick to their stomachs. One of the commonest things is that they laugh with their hand over their mouths and the of course they'd stick their clenched fist next to your and say dirty to the one with dark skin. Try visiting a barbers shop and see what happens. BTW I never saw a black soldier in China either and I wonder why?
Krieg
so do I. Most of the western world is majority white - are you seriously saying that the USA, UK, France, Germany, Canada, Australia etc etc cannot have "have a realistic [debate] about racism" simply because we are majority white?
Check the replies I've got when I gave my opinion about which areas in Berlin you have to be careful as a non-white.
Deetz
I'd say it'd be pretty tough to determine how racist an entire country is. For example in Canada you might find some extremely tolerant people but you also could be stuck in a shit hole like Calgary. See Racism Reborn Part 1

That and there's a fair amount of racism in places like Burnaby as some people feel like there are so many people from Asia and none of them speak English etc etc. When usually it's not really that high of a percentage and most can speak acceptable, very good or are Canadian born and bred. Lots of friends in Canada who were born here but are Chinese or Japanese find it hilarious at university how other students, and especially professors assume that they are international students and can barely speak English.
RushingtheNet
Until Canada,Uk,Australia and Germany begin to show signs of power sharing economically and politically in real terms on a nation wide level, the least racist country in the world is America.Keep in mind that racism is not just breaking down social acceptance barriers,it comes down to accepting people in every possible way including running the government of that country.Before Barack was elected there were already states ran by minorities and women.There are minority state senators,legislators,assemblymen/women,whole state legislators ran by minorities. There are minority/and women US Govenors,Senators who have the potential to become president of America.Until countries in Europe reach similar social and political progress(which will happen one day imo)America has proven to be the least racist country in the western world.
DanielF
true, at the same time some of the US has a very bad rep for racism. Could you equate blacks in the US with immigrants into Europe? Coz the blacks have been in the country for centuries, whereas most european immigrants would have been in the last 50 years
The Beaver
Antarctica

Although not a country, the fact that penguins sport both black and white proves beyond a doubt that it is the least racist landmass.
RushingtheNet
I have lived for extended periods of time in Canada, the States and Australia. Hands down I found the Aussies to be the most racist but then I was in a small city of 200,000 and nowhere near Melbourne or Sydney where I am sure attitudes would be more liberal. I agree with other comments that it all depends where you live in the States. I lived in Boston, New York, Florida, and California- all very liberal minded states. My group of best friends dating back to high school included Muslims, Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Hindus, Indians, Blacks, Asians, Arabs, etc. That is to say, that I find American social circles to be very diverse and all inclusive. In contrast, when living in France, I found the French to be less racist, as a whole, but much more segregated (very little intercultural mingling)in their professional and private lives.

The best caliber to gauge whether a country is racist or not is to look at the disparity (or lack thereof) of socioeconomic power between ethnic groups/minorities and the majority. The fact that Blacks, Latinos, and Asians in America are represented in all levels of government, business, industry, and academia is quite telling. Neither Canada nor Australia can boast the same.

* 1/4 of my professors at Univ of California at San Diego were minorities or women. None of my professors at McGill in Montreal were minorities and I never saw any Black or Asian professors in the halls or posted on the faculty boards. At James Cook University in Australia, where I did my Masters, there was one aboriginal associate professor that taught, you guessed it, indigenous health. Otherwise the campus was void of any minority presence. There was a guest lecturer once that explained he was 1 of 19 doctors in Australia of aboriginal descent.
I agree with this posting.I want to add that social acceptance alone will never take the place of economic and political acceptance.If someone were to ask me if I had my choice of being liked or respected,respect would come first in dealing with other people.It would be nice to be liked but real respect is more lasting.In most European countries they have a type of appreciation or liking for minorties but in America,Asians,Latinos,Blacks and browns are respected for their abilities.I do believe Europe will evolve in time.
RushingtheNet
you missed my point entirely Carmen. I wasn't making a judgement as to whether Canada is or is not more racist than anywhere else. I was pointing out the irony of bluebell using an example of positive discrimination as evidence that Canada is less racist than elsewhere. Which ever way you look at it, positive discrimination can never be an example of why Canada may or may not be a less racist society.
Not sure I agree with your last statement.I believe positive racism or aka corrective measures, to even the playing field can be useful tools/laws to rid a country of a racist mindset.There is no way America would have a African American president if not for all the effort(tough medicine) from years gone by to change people's way of thinking.When you change the way people think you can then change the way they behave.I don't think there should be a hugh population of Asian or Indie people in the UK or Turks in Germany for a Asian or Turks to be Prime Minister.Not if the canidate is brilliant.If the canidate can't win political power because of lack of his/her ethnicity in that country voting for him/her,what does that say about ethnic acceptance in said country? Barack became president in a country with only 12% of the population being his minority ethnicity.I would like to think a Pakistani ethnicity but born in Britain could some day become UK PM.
RushingtheNet
true, at the same time some of the US has a very bad rep for racism. Could you equate blacks in the US with immigrants into Europe? Coz the blacks have been in the country for centuries, whereas most european immigrants would have been in the last 50 years
I agree that Europe should be afforded time to go through it's own form of growing pains to learn how to become one single diverse society.I will happen just takes time.50 years from now minorities will make-up about 25-30% of the UK and Germany's population.
17 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Last »
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.