Best places to live in Germany

For jobs, cost of living, and quality of life

Pages: 1 2 3 4

LexiMStL
I'm just wondering, based on personal experiences... what would you consider the best place to live in Germany based on the following criteria...

Job market for Non EU nationals
Affordability
Quality of living
Safety
Entertainment
And any other points you can think of that are worth mentioning.

I'm not just talking about the city... even the neighborhoods... What are the good places??

For whatever city you list, it would be great to list the BAD neighborhoods... sometimes it's good to know where to avoid, lol.

Im looking forward to hearing some opinions =)
Pas
Just search through this site. It's an oft asked question and there are many replies already.

The only real answer is Munich but others disagree.
Freising
Looking for "the best" place in germany, based on a list of very vague terms wont help you much to find the perfect spot for your taste. If this is not just a try to incite a little verbal brawl between the habitants of northern and southern germany, I would recommend to define what entertainment (nightclubs or museum), affordability (penthouse or 1room app.) or security (low crime or a policeman at every corner) means for you and then do a little search for yourself. In the meantime here is a little map of the allocation of germanys highest earners.
Keefy
[----]
In the meantime here is a little map of the allocation of germanys highest earners.
OK, we might be as poor as church mice 'ere in Berlin, but we'm honest folks, an' no mistake. None of yer stook-oop southern pooftahs 'ere, like. Except that bloody Frederick the Great, 'e were queer, 'e were, but at least 'e used to take 'is whippets fer a walk every day an' yer can't say fairer than that. Buried with 'em, 'e is, outside 't palace in Potsdam, the one wit' poofy French name. Folks come from all over 't world to see it.

Got crackin' good museums, theatre an' opera an' all that 'ighbrow stuff 'ere 'n all, if that floats yer boat. Can be bloody cold in winter, mind, but that makes us tough! Aye, lad, none of yer namby-pamby stuff 'ere!
Bell the cat
Munich beats everywhere else on every one of your criteria apart from 'affordability'. But then the affordability issue is because it is such a superb place with such a thriving job market that just about everyone in Germany wants to be here, driving the rental market up.
good123
check out

http://www.citymayors.com/features/quality_survey.html

"But the best place to live is where one feels at home is "

cheers...
HEM
Although Berlin appears to be an outpost for Ecky thump (a martial art hailing from Lancashire), Berlin isn't to my taste.

"But the best place to live is where one feels at home is "
That about sums it up. The problem can be determining where you will feel at home. For me its in Schleswig-Holstein on the NW side of Hamburg...
swimmer
Munich beats everywhere else on every one of your criteria apart from 'affordability'. But then the affordability issue is because it is such a superb place with such a thriving job market that just about everyone in Germany wants to be here, driving the rental market up.
That's right of course. The best places with most opportunities and the best surroundings and other amenities will also usually be the most expensive and draw in the better-off. Simple supply and demand. Hence Düsseldorf, München and Frankfurt being close to the top of the list linked to here.
Keefy
Although Berlin appears to be an outpost for Ecky thump (a martial art hailing from Lancashire), Berlin isn't to my taste.
Isn't it Lancashire where they rub exstasy into their teeth, otherwise known as "E by gum"?

Ecky thump? Pah! We have much to learn from the Welsh...

http://www.llapgoch.org.uk/

Seriously, though, reasons to move anywhere can be based on all sorts of factors. In mine, it's been a fascination with Berlin and its history since I first visited in 1978. Studied to become a local tourist guide and as the ad says, I'm lovin' it.

An English friend of mine moved to Upper Bavaria some years ago. She loves winter sports and diving in the lakes, so that's the right move for her.
Bell the cat
yeah, except Düsseldorf and Frankfurt are ugly as sin. If I couldn't live here in Munich and had to move for work within Germany then Hamburg would be top of my list and then Berlin.
spatown
Must say I have never understood the attraction of Berlin. The couple of times that we were there, I hated it - couldn't wait to leave. It's the sort of squashed in city that makes me claustrophobic. Munich on the other hand is just right.

Didn't like Bonn when we lived there, but now find it pleasant to visit. Not sure why. But I know I would not like to live there again.
mlovett
The answer from my German husband: Mallorca.

I do prefer Munich over Hamburg, but home is indeed where the heart is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAwpocZYUJI
Freising
Berlin, Düsseldorf, Munich ... doesnt make no difference to me. Those big cities are all just cesspits of crime and decadence. I like me small bavarian town surrounded by forests and hills and fields. No brothels, no night clubs, no "Bussi-Gesellschaft". Thats the only decent way to live.
DanielF
you'll have to do more investigation into what exact type of place you'd like to live in

dachau is nice
- pretty
- close to munich but separate
- good transport connections
- close to an international school
gaberlunzi
best place to live
file:///home/al/Desktop/Schaerding
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.