Phrases that make no sense

E.g. slept like a baby

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Pas
I spotted on somebodies Facebook Status this morning that they 'slept like a baby'. Surely they didn't wake up every three hours demanding their mother's milk?

What other phrases make no sense when you think about them?

Edit. Leeza's on a mission to get me to use ' correctly and I think I got another one wrong there...
Allershausen
As easy as taking candy from a baby. Have you ever tried to take anything from a baby, they scream the place down!
skadi
Sleeping like a log is equally as daft.

Then there's 'it'd be cheap at half the price'. Well obviously.

I don't understand why this is not 'cheap at twice the price' as that makes much more sense. Or do some people say that?
don_riina
I'm all fingers and thumbs. Makes no sense. Imagine is somebody said that to you, and you pulled out a machete and lopped off their thumbs. Would they be happy then? No. They'd be well annoyed, ungrateful bastards.
sarabyrd
Birds in their little nest agree.
Forget it, it's each for himself alone. Darwin rules. Ask the cuckoos.

Attached image
worm
'head over heels'

- I take this to mean 'doing a cartwheel in joy'

however, if you were in the process of doing a cartwheel, technically your heels would be above your head, thus making the phrase redundant.
Johnny English
I don't understand why this is not 'cheap at twice the price' as that makes much more sense. Or do some people say that?
That is of the course the correct expression - the other is just people being funny ha-ha silly.

Me? I'm feeling fit as a fiddle today.
bluedave
Just had a krapfen and i'm full as a Catholic school.
gideon
"Piece of piss". Has anyone every tried seperating pee?
cb6dba
Are you growing your hair... Yes - every f**king day!

Its always in the last place you look! - really, could that be because most normal none f**ktard people stop once they find the damn thing they were looking for?

New and improved! - make your f**king mind up - which is it? Are you saying that you developed a product that was so crap you had to improve straight away? Are you Microsoft?
Expaticus
"Taking the piss". Jumbo shrimp. Non-dairy creamer.
UrbanAngel
The American idiom 'I could care less' when they actually mean 'I couldn't care less' i.e. the subject is unimportant to them. If they could care less, then obviously that subject has at least some importance to them.
Techsmex
"Happy As A Clam" how do you measure happiness in a clam? who can tell when a clam is happy or sad? they look indifferent to me
Owain Glyndwr
The American idiom 'I could care less' when they actually mean 'I couldn't care less'
i think we need a separate thread for sayings people get wrong and thus completely fuck up the point.
BigEnglish2008
Well, fuck me sideways!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.