Ideas on how to remove burn marks from wood

After leaving a hot pan on a wooden work surface

Pages: 1 2

Chocky
As a result there is a small but dark burn mark on my flatmate's previously immaculate worktop. Apart from sanding it down and recoating it, are there any other ways to remove it?
Owain Glyndwr
replace the work top with a new one.
Chocky
Yeah thanks Owain, would you come round and replace it for me?
robinson100
I think sanding it down is your best bet there - sorry!
mlovett
How deep do you think it is? e.g. just the finish, or into the wood? Do you have a picture?
meckle
Live with it, it adds character!
Darkknight
Sanding, painting or replacing are your only options when it comes to wood..
HydroSkater
Sanding it usually gets rid of the burn mark, then you can either stain/varnish it or rub oil into the wood.

For ring marks left on dark woods by cups, simply get a walnut and rub it on the mark... it will vanish. (PS: Remove from shell first and rub the actual nut on the wood, not the shell - for all you numpties out there! LOL)
Darkknight
It's more the Walnut oil that does the trick more than the nut itself...
mlovett
So rubbing bottled walnut oil in it is probably easier.
HydroSkater
But the majority of people are more likely to have walnuts at home than walnut oil... ;-)
In our flat we both love to cook and one of us is a chef... we have practically everything you can think of here except walnut oil :-)

But yes, should you have it at home, it would be a whole lot easier... :-)
mlovett
I had walnut oil back in CA, since walnuts grow there. I use an "orange oil" for antiques on my furniture... maybe I ought to switch to walnut oil!?
Darkknight
Most people I know don't have walnuts laying around the house. It doesn't make much sense
to buy a bag of walnuts, just so you can use one.. Esp. when you can get a small bottle of oil
much cheaper.. But hey.. Do whatever you think is best..
bluedave
If it's just in the lacquer just use a warm iron to lift it.
perdido
As a result there is a small but dark burn mark on my flatmate's previously immaculate worktop. Apart from sanding it down and recoating it, are there any other ways to remove it?
Burn the fucking thing and do the german style and go to Ikea.. You at least make the inlaws happy and get a decent set of swedish meatballs.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.