Bring a pickup truck vs. buying a car in Stuttgart

Private vehicle options when transferring to EUCOM

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Military_wife
Hi guys,

My husband has received orders to EUCOM so we will soon be moving to Germany. We're wondering whether we should bring our 2007 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck (midsize truck) with us, or sell it and buy a new car once we arrive? Our primary concerns are whether the high price of gas would make it worthwhile to buy a smaller car with better mileage, whether parking will be a problem with a relatively large vehicle, and whether we would look like a couple of redneck Americans driving around Europe in a pickup truck

If we were to bring our truck over, is it possible to sell it in Germany, and if we are allowed to sell it, is there a market for American pickup trucks in Germany?

Thanks so much!
DDBug
Yes, yes, yes.

Yes, not really.
eurobabs
Our primary concerns are

whether the high price of gas would make it worthwhile to buy a smaller car with better mileage,
whether parking will be a problem with a relatively large vehicle, and
whether we would look like a couple of redneck Americans driving around Europe in a pickup truck
Yes
YES
YES
Expaticus
Hi guys,

My husband has received orders to EUCOM so we will soon be moving to Germany. We're wondering whether we should bring our 2007 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck (midsize truck) with us, or sell it and buy a new car once we arrive? Our primary concerns are whether the high price of gas would make it worthwhile to buy a smaller car with better mileage, whether parking will be a problem with a relatively large vehicle, and whether we would look like a couple of redneck Americans driving around Europe in a pickup truck

If we were to bring our truck over, is it possible to sell it in Germany, and if we are allowed to sell it, is there a market for American pickup trucks in Germany?

Thanks so much!
1. If you're US military, then you should be able to fill up at AEFES gas stations on post at US prices, so no issue there.

2. The Tacoma isn't that much different in dimensions from a lot of the German SUVs plying the roadways, but using parking garages will likely be a bit tight.

3. Probably ... although we have German contractor/builder neighbors with Suburbans and pickups. I don't think they're issuing special HK or AD US/NATO plates anymore for force protection reasons, so you'll likely have an ersatz local registration but be allowed to drive with US standard lights and emissions. Lots of Germans make rednecks look like runway models.

4. You could probably resell it, but to a buyer knowing full well he'll have to put more money above and beyond the purchase price into converting to German standards. Also, I'm not sure how tough parts and service would be ... most of the Toyota line here is specifically targeted at the european market.

Might be better to sell it at home and buy a US-spec model here on a buy-and-travel plan (I know Mercedes, BMW and Volvo and Saab have them) and take it home with you at the end of your tour.
tinkerbel9
Hi. You got it all right on. You will be fine here:) Plus you would have to help move peoples stuff around all the time.
bluebell16
You won't get an HK or AD plate, it will be either S, BB or ES, depending on where you live, just like the rest of the Germans. Gas prices at AAFES aren't bad; they're a little higher than back in the States, but it's still reasonable. That being said, assuming the military is paying to send your truck and you don't mind looking like a redneck, I'd bring it over and not worry about buying something new...
gatzke
Yeah, you really don't see many pickups here. I think I have seen a handful in six months.

If you get US gas prices through the military, you are set. Maybe you should buy a bigger truck before you come over?

Parking will be a PITA. But I would be most worried about parts and service here. However, cars are super expensive in Europe from what I can tell.

Gun rack?
mlovett
Bring it. You don't see many here, and that means SOMEone probably wants to buy it. Pick-ups are SO great, even if Europeans mostly hate them. I also had a Tacoma: '04 4x4 TRD, supercharged. I now have the SUV version of the same (FJ), and will sell it here and probably buy another when back in the States.
cinzia
You could probably resell it, but to a buyer knowing full well he'll have to put more money above and beyond the purchase price into converting to German standards.
Maybe, but lots of military folks just sell to each other. If you sell to an incoming serviceman, I wouldn't think they would have to convert to German standards.

Might be better to sell it at home and buy a US-spec model here on a buy-and-travel plan (I know Mercedes, BMW and Volvo and Saab have them) and take it home with you at the end of your tour.
Or you could bring your pickup, sell it at the end of your tour, and buy a European car as described above just before you go home.
eurovol
You will lose money selling it. BRING IT!
cinzia
For future viewers: can we all be in agreement that the deal-breaker here would be if the OP were not military? I would not recommend bringing a large pickup truck over from the States if you're going to live on the European economy.
mlovett
Yes, cinzia, you are correct. My FJ gets ~ the same gas mileage as my Tacoma did, which sucks. And parking lots can be a problem. But I *still* love my rig, and I miss my Tacoma! Pick-ups can be seen in Germany, in rural areas.
Expaticus
For future viewers: can we all be in agreement that the deal-breaker here would be if the OP were not military? I would not recommend bringing a large pickup truck over from the States if you're going to live on the European economy.
Believe it or not, the same applies to New York City, where they have to be licenced as commercial vehicles and only drive on the main thoroughfares.

I used one from home (with PA plates) for a weekend to move apartments, and came out on Sunday morning to find it had been used as a dumpster ... and was half expecting to also find a homeless person asleep in the back.
bluebell16
You would be correct.
eurovol
No you wouldn't! Resale value is where it is at. You couldn't get shit for it right now in the States and the money lost is a concern leaving it behind.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.