Understanding the dials on heaters and boilers - Germany

Basics of German heating systems

socrates74
I hope this is not too stupid a question. I have a heating system in my apartment in which there is a central boiler in the kitchen and the usual radiators around the apartment, they are connected by gold colored pipes along the walls. Both the boiler and each radiator have a dial going from 0 to 5 (including the snowflake). My question concerns the dials. Are the dials on the individual radiators thermostats? If so, should they generally be at the same number? And then what about the dial on the boiler? Is that also a thermostat? But why should there be two? And if not, what is it doing? I have just been leaving the individual radiators around 2 and turning the boiler on and off as I come and go. What is the most economical way to heat the apartment using this system?

Thank you.
sarabyrd
The dials on the individual heaters regulate how much heat they will emit. No sense in heating up a room that you don't use much or that has other heating sources, such as the kitchen. Keep those heaters on low, 1 or 2. If you want to treat yourself to a bubble bath turn up the heater in the bathroom a bit beforehand and put your towel on the heater - instant home spa. I generally don't turn my heaters up over 3 and tend to put on a sweater and thick socks to keep warm.

Very important: Air your apartment two to three times a day to rehumidify the air. Get a water container to hang from the heaters that you use most.

As to the boiler - it's been a while since I had one of them. Switch it on before your shower/bath/dish washing session and leave it off at other times.
kato
If the dial on the boiler is the only dial there, then it'll likely be an on/off switch with multiple settings (e.g. 0 - off, 1 - water only, 2 - water and heating). Although 6 settings seems a bit much. Should be in the manual for the boiler

Dials on the heaters are thermostats.
westvan
The "3" on the radiator thermostats is about 20°C, I believe, and we keep ours at 3 in the living room and kitchen (unless I'm using the oven a lot and then I turn it down), 4 in the bathroom (but the heat is programmed to go off at night) and 2 in the bedrooms if they're feeling chilly.
spatown
Our house had had a brand new heating system installed (according to the new regulations) before we bought it. But it is SO complicated - we had to get the heating guy out (twice) to tell us about it when we were first trying to adjust it. He has about the thickest Bavarian accent you can imagine so I was having to concentrate v hard.
swimmer
Someone will have instructions - most likely the managing agent. If they don't, get them to get one from the manufacturer / installer or even an engineer. Your neighbours may know in detail.
bluebell16
Our house had had a brand new heating system installed (according to the new regulations) before we bought it. But it is SO complicated - we had to get the heating guy out (twice) to tell us about it when we were first trying to adjust it. He has about the thickest Bavarian accent you can imagine so I was having to concentrate v hard.
Yeaaah, that happened to us too, except it was a Schwäbisch accent instead.. well, not even that. Full on Swabian dialect is more like it. At any rate, a lot of the new systems (so I've heard, ours included) can be changed to operate in a number of different languages. Having ours in English did help... It turns out we have some broken radiators, and it wasn't a problem with the system itself.

Point being, if you can figure out how to switch languages, you may be in business.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.