Treatments for mold on a bedroom wall - Germany

Suggestions, recommended products

Pages: 1 2 3

fionaO
Dear fellow TT..

being new here and new to this climate,ive just discovered mould at the corner of my bedroom wall..After a chat with my neighbour,he was able to advice me to open my window twice a day to let moisture out(but its cooooold!!)However he cant advice me on how to get rid of it..i tried to clean it away with a damp wipe,but it just smugges but not totally gone..
Can someone advice me on how to clear it and prevent it from appearing again?..i have 2toddlers at home and dont want them exposing to mould since i read its health hazard..
Thanks alot for all your kind advices

cheers
fionaO
Moonboot
bit of info Mildew (Schimmel) and apartment repainting.
good luck!
funf
Use a dilute solution of bleach. However, I've only ever used this on white walls, so I'd test for colorfastness if your paint is colored.
minga
You can get rid of it with a "Anti-Schimmel" spray. Common brands are Sargottan/Domestos/Breff.
timezoner
Which I believe is Chlorine based and not very good for the kids to be breathing in
Allershausen
While bleach will get rid of the mould, it won't stop it coming back. There's moisture getting in somwhere and that will continue, opening the window won't cure it. Is there a terrace or flat roof above your place, because if there is that's probably where it's coming in. You should get in touch with the landloard as their property is being damaged.
llees
Dilute bleach, or you can also use dilute tea tree oil if you're naturopathically inclined.

It doesn't work as well as bleach.
Moonboot
we treated ours with the anti-schimmel spray thing (left overnight then scrubbed off) then you can use a barrier-paint, a special one that is usually for 'damp' places such as bathrooms, on the affected area.
this worked fine for us so far, touch-wood!
Small Town Boy
As Allershausen says, the mould is a symptom of a dampness problem that will remain. Heating and ventilating thoroughly is the first step to take, and may well be a condition in your contract. Keep furniture away from the wall so that air can circulate there. Next step is to buy a hygrometer to measure the humidity levels; anything above 65% is too high. You may then want to consider a dehumidifier to reduce the humidity levels.
BattalionBoy
I think you should use the bathroom at night - how can you be that lazy?
UrbanAngel
I have this problem too and I air the bathroom out after showering when I can. The filler around the bath is getting black speckles that I can't even scratch out and the paint is getting mouldy. The Anti-Schimmel spray sort of works on the paint but not where the problem is bad. Am afraid that the landlord will take all my deposit when I move in a few months.
kitkat64
Mold in the bathroom vs mold on the wall in a bedroom (or otherwise "dry" room) are two totally different things.

Allershausen is correct - the mould is not caused by anything that you are doing wrong. There is probably moisture leaking in from outside somehow. We had this problem in one of our upstairs bedrooms on the outside wall under a window. As it turned out, the window was sealed incorrectly and the water was leaking down into the wall under the window.

Contact the landlord asap.

The bathroom is obvious - too hot showers, no air ventilation after the shower - no windows (or un-opened windows) or fan/exhaust system.
Owain Glyndwr
Allershausen is correct - the mould is not caused by anything that you are doing wrong. There is probably moisture leaking in from outside somehow.
Not necessarily!

Mould in a "dry room" can be caused when the outside wall of a house is left to go too cold. When warm moist air from other parts of the house hit the wall it condenses creating the perfect conditions for mould. You need to heat the effected room properly over a long period of time so the outside wall gets back up to temperature and can dry out the moisture. Airing the room during the process is essential to get rid of the moisture. Once you've done that (and gotten rid of the mould), you can have the room cooler than other parts of the house, if you want to, but it is essential that it doesn't get tooo cold and that the door remains closed to prevent the draught of warm moist air. Airing the room is essential but don't keep the window open permanently, just open it for half an hour once or twice a day; enough to refresh the air without letting the walls of the room cool down too much.

Also it is important that air can circulate around the room so you shouldn't have large pieces of furniture pushed directly up against an outside wall. Always leave a few centimetres space to let air circulate.

This happened to me in a previous apartment.

I used to leave the bedroom window open most of the time as i hated sleeping in a room where i couldn't breath and liked to keep the air fresh. So it didn't get too cold, I left the bedroom door open. The lounge was heated and air from this room flowed into the bedroom where it hit the cold outside wall and condensed and caused mould. On the advice of an expert who came and looked at it, I fixed the problem by cleaning the area with bleach then drying out the room using the process described above. No more mould afterwards.
Darkknight
Which I believe is Chlorine based and not very good for the kids to be breathing in
Then keep the kids outta the room till it dries and the smell dissipates. (Usually in 4-5 hrs if the room is properly ventilated)
UrbanAngel
KK64- As I said; I air after most showers plus there is already a fan in the bathroom (when the light is turned on) which means that the bathroom is always freezing cold even when we have the heating on in the rest of the house Oh well.
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.