Packing a football in a plane hold

Is it allowed or will it pop?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

penelope pitstop
This may seem to be a really stupid question and probably is but I'll give it a go anyway:

My Dad wants to bring my son a Man City football by plane from UK to Germany for his birthday
and is not sure if there would be any problems if he put it in the hold in his case.

Could it pop due to the pressure changes?

Considered calling EasyJet but could imagine the trauma of trying to get through the call-centre questions
before speaking to anyone who probably wouldn't have a clue and thought you folks may have experience
on this one.

Thank you in advance
Deccie
just deflate it.
eurovol
Deflate it. Easier to pack.
Pas
Why not just let some air out and pump it up again when it gets here?

Or put it in hand luggage. Should be fine there though you should be banned from carrying such an offensive item. (Sorry Dave;-)).
sarabyrd
Don't inflate it completely. And make sure that the kid has a pump that fits, or give him one for Christmas.

Slightly off topic: I drank a bottle of milk on a flight from Houston to Sacramento (back in the good old days) and screwed the top back on when it was empty. During landing procedure in Sacramento the bottle went - plopp! - and the sides were suddenly concave, showing that the pressurization had been switched off.
I can do science, me!
BigEnglish2008
In short, it is safe to put the football in the baggage hold.

Most baggage holds are pressurised the same as the passenger cabin. Otherwise you would find that items suchs as perfumes and shaving cream would have leaked or exploded all over your clothing when you open your suitcase!!!

You can put the football in the hold no problem at all. If it is a cheap ball then I would recommend letting a little bit of air out otherwise it might stretch and lose shape, as the aircraft will be pressurised to approx. 8,000ft (altitude!) and not sea level....
false
Surely there is less pressure at higher altitude? Hence your water bottles crumble up and collapse on themselves. The same would happen a football, but maybe you don't want to induce any unnecessary pressure on the ball when it comes back down to 'ground level'.
BigEnglish2008
False: stick to talking about baby rabbits and fluffy kittens...
penelope pitstop
Thank you for your answers. It isn't a cheap ball so hopefully it will be OK but will
tell Dad to deflate it a bit to be on the safe side.

Was really expecting some stick about Man City though
BigEnglish2008
Well, they are crap. Does that help?
perdido
Its a known fact UK footballs cannot hold up the pressure of an American football just to let you know.
BigEnglish2008
And todays 'brag of the Day' award goes to...another American. Well done oh superior one.
perdido
I would not say superior like proper superior but maybe better .
bluedave
They've already taken their best shots many times petal.
Owain Glyndwr
False: stick to talking about baby rabbits and fluffy kittens...
not exactly, false. Air plane cabins and holds may be pressurised but they not pressurised to the same pressure as sea-level but to an equivalent altitude of about 2,500m (once they get to cruising altitude). This pressure difference is enough to make shampoo bottles leak, make crips packets expand etc but isn't enough to make anything like tyres or footballs burst.

edit: just re-read what false actually wrote. and yeah fluffy kittens etc.

False, If you were to inflate a ball at altitude and then bring it down to sea-level, it might go soft. Doing it the other way would make it expand, but the pressure difference isn't enough to have any significant effect and make it burst or anything.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.