Life expectancy of laptop computers

Do Dells or Macbooks last longer?

Pages: 1 2 3

USCTrojan
Hi guys,

I couldn't turn on my Dell laptop this mornin (and couldnt go into safe mode or anything either, cause the blue error screen pops up as soon as I turn it on) and I'm not sure if it is worth fixing it at this point. I bought it 6 years ago!

So I'm considering buying a Macbook, but I'm curious to know, whether Macbooks last as long as Dell laptops? Does anybody know?

Thanks!
RainyDays
Well, my Apple iBook can almost compete with your Dell in longevity: 5 1/2 years without repairs, and it still doesn't show any signs of weakness.
meckle
Well my Acer lasted about a year and a half before it started acting up - then it struglled along before dying about a year and a half later

On the other hadn my Macbook has had tons of problems since i got it two years ago...but since i got the three year warranty thingy i just get them to fix it whenever it breaks
PES
I have Mac notebooks and laptops that still work fine after over 8 years. The kids use them now, so they still get wear and tear. Macs are built, inside and out, to last.
RS500Guy
I got the kids a MacBook Pro to use while they're here in Munich, and it's held up remarkably well considering the daily pounding it gets. My Fujitsu/Siemens laptop would have cracked in half already had they used it the same way.
Jeeves
Are you guys talking "physically robust" here, as in the kids play basketball with them, or do you mean simply in terms of hours of use?
USCTrojan
I mean both .

So rumor has it that Apple will be releasing the new macbooks on Oct 14th! I'm definitely going to wait and check those out. I'm glad I did some research before running to the store and buying the current version. So yeah, I'm definitely going with a Mac. I've used my friend's macbook pro and really liked it.
USCTrojan
I got the kids a MacBook Pro to use while they're here in Munich, and it's held up remarkably well considering the daily pounding it gets. My Fujitsu/Siemens laptop would have cracked in half already had they used it the same way.
good to know...cause my dog is into walking all over my laptop and putting his head on it as a "cushion" cause it gets so warm and cozy.
mlovett
I have Mac notebooks and laptops that still work fine after over 8 years. The kids use them now, so they still get wear and tear. Macs are built, inside and out, to last.
same here! Once you go Mac, you will never go back.
Deccie
My Dell is now in its 7th year and still going strong. Never had a repair required. It is sufficinet for my needs and used every day.
Clapoti
I think it depends a little bit about the brand and about the usage... but it's also a part of luck with the parts inside. Even the best brands can have failure and it's not by buying a Mac that you will be safe from that. Mac or Dell have a better track record than Acer, but you can still be unlucky.

Good luck.
USCTrojan
yeah, I'm definitely going to see how much more I have to pay for a 3 year warranty or a macbook.
Small Town Boy
My Dell is now in its 7th year and still going strong. Never had a repair required. It is sufficinet for my needs and used every day.
The problem is that this says everything about the quality of computer products built seven or eight years ago, but nothing about the quality of computer products built today. Seven or eight years ago, these products were built to last. But prices have tumbled since then, and the quality of the hardware with it. They're just not built to last this length of time anymore. I'm hoping to get four or five years' service out of my current PC, and will consider myself lucky if I get that. My first ever PC was still going strong after eight or nine years, and only needed replacing because it was technically obsolete.

For the prices they charge, I would hope that Macs are built to last, but it's hardly in the company's interests to do that, considering that Apple have a monopoly on the hardware and that every Mac owner says "you'll never go back to PCs"...
don_riina
*cue the music from the 'Hovis' adverts*

Seven or eight years ago, these products were built to last.
Aye, new fangled rubbish, all breaks these days. When I were a lad, laptops lasted 40 years, and we used to take 'em down t' mine.
Small Town Boy
Tha'rt true though, ee by gum.
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.