Where to buy organic chicken - Munich

Free-range "bio" poultry, farmers markets, etc.

Pages: 1 2

Dunia
Any ideas on where to buy bio chicken in Munich? Where are these Farmers Markets?

Thanks!
HellesAngel
Wild & Gefluegel Poerrer on Viktualienmarkt. It's near the road that runs from Tal, on the end of a row of permanent stalls that faces the biergarten. There are already some other threads that may be interesting.
don_riina
I'll try to keep myself from spitting out a rant about the absolute falsehood of "bio" products in Germany, but I will ask this - why do you assume that farmers markets sell bio-chicken?
Dunia
thanks a lot!
Dunia
somebody told me that farmer market sell good quality meat and fruits
HellesAngel
That may be true but a lot of 'bio' food is bland, tasteless, over priced rubbish but the chickens from the little shop I mention above are very good. Kills them with his own hands he does. They also do excellent ducks and geese, not to mention goose fat for the best roast potatoes you can do, and the duck breast is just excellent cooked, but still pink and juicy inside, on a charcoal grill.

Edit - and as to farmers' markets I'd go only after checking them out carefully first. There is a good one on Mariahilfsplatz on Saturday mornings but that's a long way from you. There's one good stall selling meat, and two or three selling good fruit and veggies. Most carry a 'bio' label written on in biro but you can tell from looking at the produce that it's true.
don_riina
Farmers markets often do sell better quality meat and fruit than the supermarkets here, but that actually says alot more about the supermarkets than anything else. Lots of the veg stalls on these markets are selling fruit from italy, and vegetables grown in huge poytunnel type constructions in Holland*
My woman picked up some chicken recently from a supermarket; huge great big letters on the packaging "B I O". They were chicken breasts, and were limp and watery. Appalingly poor quality chicken. Even thought I detest the German reliance on the word bio, and some grade from some silly stiftung test thing, even I was shocked by the quality of the chicken, it was dire.

I salute your efforts to source higher quality meat, but trusting the bio label is not guaranteed to get you particularly special produce.

*Although in fairness, I did read that the German organic farming industry simply cannot keep up with demand as "bio" labels become more fashionable here, hence some "bio" food is actually imported...in huge pollution spouting trucks..
Dunia
thanks a lot for your answers, I just want to eat a better quality chicken and turkey meat.
don_riina
For the best tasting chicken, go to Karstadt, Marienplatz, and get a "poulet de bresse" if they have any in stock. It will cost you a small fortune, but should taste super awesome. Bresse chickens actually have a form of "appelation controllee" on them.
austriana
I agree that german BIO-products are far away from perfect, but I still think they are so much better than the conventional meat-production in Germany.
These chicken at least have the chance to be outside whenever they want - they actually get to see the sun somtimes before they die - and dont grow up in tiny cages without light, where they can hardly move.
I definitely prefer BIO meat!
eviz
I have been wondering if Bio necessarily equals free-range when it comes to supermarket poultry. Does anyone know if it has to also say "Aus Freilandhaltung" like on eggs, or does Bio meat reliably mean raised in reasonable conditions (and not just stuffed with Bio grain but in the same miserable cages, for example?)
kati
The best chicken is definitely sold by a little stall "Biohof Butz" every wednesday afternoon at U-Bahn Grosshadern (next to the Tengelmann). Thir meat is fantastic. They also sell every saturday morning at the market in the englische Garten in Front of the Seehaus.
don_riina
I have been wondering if Bio necessarily equals free-range when it comes to supermarket poultry
And there you have it. Free range, organic, "bio"...what on earth does it all actually mean?

Food packaging is deliberately misleading. Not in Germany, everywhere. Whack a nice bit of some blue and white chequered pattern on a box, everyone assumes it comes from the lovely bavarian alps. Hmm. I don't know what conditons meat sold under "biobio" or "naturgut" labels is raised in, and I dislike the German language far too much to research into it, but one thing I do know is that my taste buds are good. Very good. I trust them. Bio labelled chicken that I have eaten does not, in any way, resemble the taste or texture of free range farm birds I've eaten, that I know were 100% free range.
greenshake
Those ranting and badmouthing Bio products are probably your regular Edeka/Tengelmann/Aldi customers who don't have any idea what bio really is. Regular supermarket chains stock the worst end of the bio range - no wonder people get the wrong impression!

Try going to a Bioladen - a store that only stocks Bio products. I personally only shop at my local Bioladen and eat/drink exclusively Bio. The quality is exceptional and can't be beaten.
Buehler
there's a guy at the lehel market (thursdays, saint anna platz) that sells excellent chicken (also eggs, bread, jam and butter). not sure if they are strictly bio but he raises them himself, they eat whats grown on the farm and go outside, and they taste just great.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.