Using a U.S. desktop computer in Germany

Power converters and adaptors etc.

Pages: 1 2

ircarrascal
Hello,

I just moved in here last week and soon I will get my desktop computer delivered from USA (long history why I did this, I know it's a pain but I had to do it). Since it works at 110V I will need a voltage converter or maybe several of them (?). Has anybody done this before or something similar (like a TV/DVD set)? Do you know what would be best to do? Where can I buy those converters? I may also need some extra plug adapters.

Thanks!

-Ivan
eurovol
I have some converters for sale.
Expaticus
If it was bulit in the last 10 years or so it probably has a little switch on the back for 230v operation. Have you checked? If not, refer to this.
Bipa
Yep... back in 1999 I brought over my desktop from Canada to Switzerland. All I had to do was flick the switch on the back to 230v, and get a new power cable at a local shop. (different wall plugs, you know) Turned it on and it worked just fine.
interplanetjanet
What kind of computer is it? As far as I know, no macs require switch flipping. My two laptops just work on both. You can pick up cheapo cables for the proper plug style on ebay.
BadDoggie
Look at where the power cord enters the computer. Does it have a red switch? If so, shift it to the other side and note a "220", "230" or "240" marking. You're set. If you don't have a switch, look for a label near the power supply or on the bottom of the machine/transformer box. If it says "110V" or "120V" you're screwed; If it has something like "110/220" or "120/240" you're fine. You just need a new cable to plug it into the wall, and I happen to have many such cables for free.

As for your TV, give up. We use a completely different system here (PAL, not NTSC), so even if your TV could use 240V it can't receive and tune a signal. Give it to someone on a military base. Your DVD player will likewise cause you trouble since it's A) NTSC, not PAL; and Region 1 (North America) and not Region 2 (Europe). Thank DRM for that. You can get free software to allow watching DVDs from any region on a computer but it's not going to work on a TV here.

Do not use plug adapters. Get new cables. They're cheap.

woof.
Maurik
You can buy a new power supply over here for your computer, it's very easy to install. Plenty of guides online.

Definitely cheaper than a power inverter! and less bulky!
ircarrascal
thanks everyone for your help. i got my computer "in the mail" today. it turned out that my cpu had a switch for 230 volts and the monitor also works in the full range 110-230v so i'm all set! thanks!
chrisfisher
Like most of us I am an American citizen currently living in Germany. I moved over here with the bare essentials..clothing and stuff like that, but with the intentions of having my Desktop computer sent over later so I could continue my online education since it has all my papers and school work saved..Along with alot fo other information that I need.

My question therefore is...Because it is an American PC, chances are it will draw a lot of power. More than a German PC. Can I just buy a European AC Adapter Plug, replace that with the one on my PC and be ok? Or is there some sort of adapter that I need to look at getting? I would also have my Moniter sent out to, and it;s a 24 inch LG moniter, can I also just buy a different AC Adapter? And what about the extensions plugs that have 6-8 slots in them...

Topics merged by admin
RebellionLies
There should be a switch on the back of your PC's power supply unit that allows you to switch the voltage to 220V. Then all you need is to buy a German power cable which should set you back all of 5 euros.

Also, why the hell would an American PC use any more power than a German one?
rhody
Look at the back of the PC where the power plug connects. If it says something like 100-220V then you are good to go. Some power supplies will have a small switch that you have to move to change it. Do this before plugging it in. Macs have no problem. Just because it is from the US doesn't mean it uses more power. Most power supplies are made in China and Taiwan. I guess you were thinking it was like an American car?
Kay
Like most of us I am an American citizen currently living in Germany.
That's quite an assumption...
chrisfisher
There should be a switch on the back of your PC's power supply unit that allows you to switch the voltage to 220V. Then all you need is to buy a German power cable which should set you back all of 5 euros.

Also, why the hell would an American PC use any more power than a German one?
Well, because when I got here, my friend who I am living with brought his Xbox, but before we plugged it in we asked around to see if it was ok. Turns out..An american Xbox draws out more power than a European one does by quite a bit. So just to be sure I added that on. I didn't mean anything bad by it...sorry if it upset you in anyway...
Darkknight
Any decent Power supply sold in the last 3-4 years will do auto switching, and doesn't have a manual 120/240v switch.
The trick is to read the sticker on the PSU to see if it does auto switching or not.

An american Xbox draws out more power than a European one does by quite a bit.
This statement makes no sense.. Either the PSU in the Xbox, can handle 120 and 220v automatically
or it can't. It has nothing to do with how much power it draws.

(Which BTW if it does draw more power,than the EU system will give it a 120v boost over what its used to in the US..)
chrisfisher
This statement makes no sense.. Either the PSU in the Xbox, can handle 120 and 220v automatically
or it can't. It has nothing to do with how much power it draws.

(Which BTW if it does draw more power,than the EU system will give it a 120v boost over what its used to in the US..)
Um, You sure about that? We went to an electrionic store in Munich, they showed us that a US Xbox draws almost twice as much a a European Xbox. So either they were lying to us, or you have it backward...Either way, Thanks for the imput.

My Computer is only two years old, so hopefully it will auto switch.

But what about the Monitor? Should I be ok just buying a new plug for that too?
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.