What to do with an abundance of tomatoes

Recipes and other advice

robinson100
Hi there
I have loads of red and yellow tomatoes, mostly the "cherry" type, and won´t be able to eat them all in salad, with mozzarrella, etc.
Does anybody out there have a good recipe or two which will use them up???
Thanks!
SpiderPig
Chuck them at that bastard of an ex-husband!!
sarabyrd
Google "recipe pickled tomatoes" and take your pick. I don't recommend using them for tomato sauce (not ketchup, sauce) as they are generally too juicy and peeling them is a pain.
Katrina
My favourite use for lots of tomatoes would be the Good Housekeeping recipe for Spiced Tomato Chutney. It's wonderful and very easy. Plus less chopping if you use cherry toms.
This chutney goes very very well with strong cheeses, Christmas turkey or plain roast pork - it also keeps for lots longer than the 4 months listed so makes a great Christmas present for those facing yet more dull Boxing Day turkey sandwiches.
gaberlunzi
I make tomato soup and freeze it. Also you can freeze fresch tomatoes, just put them in a plastic freezer bag and chuck them in the deep freeze. (if you have one) My wife makes paste, which also can be frozen for later use.
don_riina
I don't recommend using them for tomato sauce (not ketchup, sauce) as they are generally too juicy and peeling them is a pain
I'd disagree on both points; too much "juiciness" can be fixed by reducing the sauce or slow roasting the tomatoes before making the sauce, and if you get a mouli-legume or a sieve, the skins are not even an issue. Cook with skins on, mouli removes them later (along with the seeds).
sarabyrd
True, oh [s]King[/s] Don. I'm used to using plum tomatoes for my sauces and always remove the skin and pulp first.
don_riina
Oh, and if you are making sauce with home grown toms, when you have finished it, put LOADS of the tomato vines into the sauce whilst it is still hot, and let it cool with the vines all in there to steep out some flavour. The ace smell of fresh tomatoes comes from them, not the fruit itself.
Jeanie
Emm, I thought the vines were the poisonous part?
don_riina
Well, neither I nor loads of other people that do this, or eat at restaurants where this is done, are dead, or even slightly sick.
sweetsilence
Dry them in the oven - cut into quarters, but not all the way through, open, salt and put in at ca 90-100C. Takes ca 5h, but is very aromatic and keeps quite a while. If you like, put the dried tomatoes into a jar of oil, some garlic with it for extra flavour, or chili...
BadDoggie
Well, neither I nor loads of other people that do this, or eat at restaurants where this is done, are dead, or even slightly sick.
Hahahaha! I was going to write about cooking them down with vines but then I got distracted and later forgot what I was doing. Dammit, beat to the punch by my arch-nemesis who, stunningly, is correct this time.

Here's another tip: Donate some to the BadDoggie Institute of Culinary and Cuisine Internationale Experimentation.

woof.
Janx Spirit
Tomato Brushetta is scrumptious:

Bruschetta (Wikipedia)

We dice the tomatoes and mix with freshly chopped basil...
cosine
Salsa is the only reason tomatoes were created.

There are a vast variety of types of salsas one can make and enjoy beyond the ordinary supermarket variety as well.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.