All my white laundry is slowly turning grey - Germany

What am I doing wrong?

Pages: 1 2 3

mookie
OK, so I know that I'm living in a hard-water area, but c'mon, there must be some way to wash white clothes? Everything white that I own---towels, sheets, underwear, socks---is now a shade that could politely be called "pearl grey." I've tried Calgon tablets, no effect. I don't see Clorox bleach on the shelves---what on earth do people do? (I can't believe I'm posting on a public forum with a laundry lament)
JOB
For a start, you wear white socks. That, for me would be the most obvious problem.
mookie
Only to the gym. You wear black socks there?
Carm
Ace is a bleach, but you can get Clorox, but its in the area where the toilet cleaners are, they use it for cleaning toilets here, I place some in my washing water for laundry.
eurovol
For a start, you wear white socks. That, for me would be the most obvious problem.
And you are an American? Must be a northerner.

You simply need the right laundry detergent. You are now living in the land of no good chemicals.
Jozi
Try a little Vanish liquid in your wash along with regular detergent.
mystery
Rub or soak them with ox- gall soap (gallseife) - depending if you have liquid or bar soap, for the best and brightest effects soak over night.
Gather all your socks and other white things and soak them every few months. You'll be surprised.
westvan
Are you using a high enough water temperature and enough detergent, and using Vollwaschmittel as opposed to Colorwaschmittel? Vollwaschmittel supposedly has optische Aufheller that helps keep white clothing white.

DanKlorix Hygeine-Reiniger is bleach and is available in supermarkets and drugstores in the bathroom cleaner section.

There's also this stuff Dr. Beckmann Super Weiss that's supposed to pep up your whites again.
HellesAngel
It might be obvious, but you do wash whites separately don't you? Not together with dark colours?
chumbawumba
You simply need the right laundry detergent. You are now living in the land of no good chemicals.
That is why, when my parents drive over from the UK they bring the plant killin', animal deforming, kick-ass Fairy non-Bio.
Also the fact the German stuff brings my 3 yr old out in a rash...
Deccie
wash your whites on 90 degrees and they will come out virgin white.
robinson100
If you have the chance to hang your white washing out in the sun to dry, then do it, as the sun also has a bleaching effect!
SillyOldSlapper
I often use a colour catcher sheet in my wash. Especially if it is a mixed colour load. You can buy either sheets made by Dr Beckman or Woolite Dye Magnet in the shops here. They are amazing but I have heard tales of the small sheets getting into the washing machine pipes so it might be best to put the sheet in a small bag for safety.
Katrina
Vanish Oxyaction Intelligence Powerweiss is superdooper, I've just seen that Vanish now do a combination product of stain remover and dye catcher, hmmmm. Bung it in with the normal Vollwaschmittel.
Acé is a good product and also colour-safe.
If you'd like a more eco solution, ecover does a powdered bleach available in bio shops.
Even adding household soda (Natron) will work.
Rilana
DanKlorix Hygeine-Reiniger is bleach and is available in supermarkets and drugstores in the bathroom cleaner section.
I always use this stuff...it's done the trick so far.
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.