Easy way to get German citizenship

Just be good at basketball, like LeRoy Kaman

lilplatinum
Apparently you just need a German great-grandparent and an ability to jump over to the German basketball team. You don't even have to speak the language to become a citizen.

ESPN: Kaman the German: He'll never wear a Team USA jersey

the Los Angeles Clippers center is not only an American citizen, he's a German citizen now, too, in possession of a freshly minted Deutschland passport that was processed earlier this summer, allowing him to join the German national team for the Beijing Olympics.

So when Germany takes the court against Team USA on Monday at 8 a.m. ET for its final game of this tournament, the man in the middle playing opposite Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh will be Chris Kaman. A red-blooded, born-and-bred American, three generations removed from the great-grandparents who decades ago first set foot on U.S. soil at Ellis Island
yeah111
I just can't believe how Chris Kaman, a US born basketball player with both parents being US citizens, received German citizenship thru claiming descent from a "great grandparent" just so he could play on the Germany national basketball team for the Olympics.

I mean isn't that impossible to do under German law? Doesn't he need a parent with German citizenship in order to obtain citizenship?

Would it now be possible for everyone and anyone to claim German citizenship via grandparents or even great-grandparents?!

Topics merged by admin
gaberlunzi
Nope, only if you have a quality which is desired in Germany. This rule is also applicable for most other countries.
yeah111
Isn't this completely unfair to those people who still have REAL connections to Germany but can't get German citizenship because they can't jump hoops like Kaman can??

This is totally absurd. There are so many who have lived in Germany and can still speak German who aren't eligible to receive citizenship because neither one parent wasn't German anymore. Now this guy comes along, who has never lived in Germany and doesn't know any German, claiming it thru a ambiguous "great-grandparent" then is granted his citizenship??? To top it all of its expedited!

Is reason and equality dead in Germany?
ruapehu
This rule is also applicable for most other countries.
Is reason and equality dead in Germany?
This rule is also applicable for most other countries.
DDBug
Did he have to give up his American citizenship??
Conquistador
Don't have a link, but I recall reading this summer in a German media source that it was a grandparent, not just a great-grandparent. German citizenship was until 2000 based entirely on the principle of jus sanguinis, so if Kaman's descent from a German grandparent was paternal, he was eligible (from birth) and did not have to give up his US citizenship.
yeah111
So does this now mean others can also apply for German citizenship via their grandparents even though their parents were not German anymore?
Conquistador
Depends on a lot of things, but in some cases, yes, although not if the formerly German parent or grandparent voluntarily gave up German citizenship when naturalizing elsewhere prior to the birth of the child/parent.
mlovett
My family left Bavaria for the States around 1750 for religious persecution, and I can play a pretty mean game of volleyball. Am I in??!

edit: anyone else notice that Nowitski and Kaman look like twins in that picture?
SquirrelKate
I'm part of a German blood line, too. A few years back... like WWI but hey ho. I'll give it a go at the Auslaenderbehoerde.
mikem
I mean isn't that impossible to do under German law? Doesn't he need a parent with German citizenship in order to obtain citizenship?
Anybody can (in contrast to those having a right to) be granted German citizenship. It is simply up to the authorities to decide if it is in the interest of the German nation to grant it.

German citizenship was until 2000 based entirely on the principle of jus sanguinis
Yes, but that can be misleading since jus sanguinis/jus soli only concern themselves with the circumstances of your birth and how that affects your rights to gain citizenship. It does not say anything about other ways to gain citizenship which are not related to the circumstances of your birth at all. Anybody could for instance gain German citizenship before the year 2000 if they lived for a certain number of years (legally) in Germany.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.