American "McEnnedy" food day at Lidl stores - Germany

Update: Special promo from 17.Sep.2009

15 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 » Last »

garibaldi
LIDL is doing American "MCENNEDY" foodstuffs from 13th. August 2008.
I'll pop down just to see how the other half lives and survives.
Who says German supermarkets are useless? Huh?
BadDoggie
The McKennedy stuff, for the most part, sucks. Not an American firm, not American products, not very good. It's what Germans think American should taste like.

woof.
Pas
Leeza and I were joking about this. How come when they have British food we have a massive thread about it but the US food nobody is interested in.

Leeza said it's because it's not American. Americans don't have sweet popcorn. She must be wrong as it clearly says on the boxes 'American Style' so it must be true.

I might buy the icecream.
garibaldi
The McKennedy stuff, for the most part, sucks. Not an American firm, not American products, not very good. It's what Germans think American should taste like.
woof.
...and who's talking reality?
It's MCENNEDY and not McKennedy - unless you've gone all catholic or summat.
DanHessen
Man, this really takes me home. I mean who can forget the wonderful aromas of Mcennedy cheese pasta coming from Mom's kitchen? And how about that Western style pizza with corn on it? Remember the old saying...baseball, Mom, apple pie, and corn pizza.
BadDoggie
The shit is made by German firms. It is as much "American food" as throwing (maize) corn into something makes it Mexican (which, in German eyes, it does). It's horrible, horrible crap. And while tastes and products do vary across such a large country, I challenge you to find non-imported sweet popcorn anywhere within the US.

woof.
Janx Spirit
Shoppers prefer Aldi and Lidl to big four supermarkets, poll says

A retail revolution is taking place on Britain's high streets as consumers switch their allegiance to "no frills" German discount supermarkets Aldi and Lidl, according to a survey out today.
Why are German supermarkets so crap again?
Pas
Do they have Lidl in the US? ;-)
BadDoggie
Nope, no Lidl in the US for the same reason that Wal*Mart failed here in Germany: incredibly tight and tough market with massive infrastructure in place for those already there.

woof.
Jules Winnfield
I would say that "tight" and "tough" are code words for undemanding...
Janx Spirit
In all honesty, the Germans probably do a better job on the food than underpaid American workers from ethnic minorities (and don't use genetically manipulated ingredients).

Miaow
Melia
Non-imported sweet popcorn is actually quite popular in parts of the Midwest, often called kettle corn and sold fresh from the kettle at fairs and festivals.
Jules Winnfield
Bla bla bla... Now Germany is a hotbed for gastronomy too? Some people really have been living here too long.
crusoe
Americans don't have sweet popcorn
What? Honest?
A formative experience, and not in a good way, was a bag of mixed flavo[s]u[/s]r popcorn I tried in America. Watermelon, grape, cinnamon, lemon, apple etc. Definitely sweet, but not flavorsome.
lilplatinum
In all honesty, the Germans probably do a better job on the food than underpaid American workers from ethnic minorities (and don't use genetically manipulated ingredients).
If all the Mexicans in Texas are a sign of anything, underpaid ethnic minorities (actually a stretch to call them much of a minority) make quite delicious food.
15 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 » Last »
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.