Minimum wage in Germany

Legalities, and average lowest wages

Pages: 1 2 3

LeonG
I can't help you with average, however a (German) friend was offered 6,50€/hr + tips and I've heard of people working also for 5€/hr (these figures are for Berlin).
Worst I have heard in Berlin was people being offered 400€ jobs, full time. Working 40 hours a week, it is 2.31€ an hour.
LukeSkywalker
I still don't understand why the German government doesn't implement minimum wages across all industries. They fear loss of jobs. Strange, because surrounding countries like Austria, Denmark and the Netherlands have minimum wages since day and age and have the least unemployment in Europe.

In my country, the Netherlands, the minimum wage in any industry is now €9.05 per hour (€1446,60 per month) for a fulltime job. It applies to a 23-year-old person onwards. You don't need a second job then to pay the bills.

In Germany, a person on Hartz IV, is often better off then low paid workers with a fulltime job. This is unbelievable.
Lblaney
I was pretty surprised at the prices babysitters seem to be charging. When I was younger I used to charge minimum wage (US) or lower to babysit. Some people (these are mostly 17-19 year old girls) ask 10 Euros an hour to watch one kid! It seems a little over the top. When I was in college I was thrilled if I could get 10 dollars an hour to babysit, and that price could only be justified by late hours or multiple kids.
NinjaMaus
I get 10€ an hour for catering/waitressing work, but this is on an event basis with an agency so I guess it is a bit higher than a salaried job.

On the other hand I could probably also only charge 10€ an hour for any Nachhilfe type jobs, whereas I charged 20€ an hour for this in Austria (my only qualification being the school's native speaker English assistant).

I was really surprised to learn that Germans don't have a minimum wage, but then I got more involved in their bureaucracy and taxes and nothing surprised me any more ...
cwb34
To name and shame, I earnt €4/hr at the 'Zur Post' in Erding (quit after i received my pittance) that was in 2007. I currently make a little under €8/hr as Kuechenhilfe (typically a min. wage job in UK). In Bavaria I would say it is somewhere between €6-8/hr for waiting depending on where you live, but then you add on tips and it can actually be fairly decent (what's quite normal is to round up when paying a small bill or give a couple of euros for a normal/big one, if you work somewhere busy think about how many coffees you serve in an hour - even 10 times 50 cents means you're making a really good hourly rate).

Course you don't get tipped for washing up. Perhaps I should go into the restaurant and ask people if they like how clean their plates are?
iamaddictedtoipad
i read a longish article a few weeks ago on the job trends in the developed countries. In a nutshell, growth is going to be in the lower end jobs which cannot be automated (like cleaning, nursing tc.) and higher paid jobs which require management of complex tasks. The number of solid middle class jobs are steadily on the decline (machine operator, travel agents etc.). Seems like the poorly paid jobs are here to stay for a long time.
jeremyhay
Luke Skywalker:

In a low-paid job you can have your pay topped up
by Hartz-IV - it's not necessarily one or the other.

"Seit der Einführung von Hartz IV 2005 hat der Staat Niedrigverdienern mehr als 50 Milliarden Euro an Zuschüssen bezahlt. Linke und SPD bekräftigen angesichts dieser Zahl ihre Forderung nach einem gesetzlichen Mindestlohn. Andere sehen darin einen Beleg für den Sinn der Arbeitsmarkt-Reformen."

Spiegel online, late 2010
Jens Andrew
I was also one of those in the IT green card. To my surprised, I was called cheap labor (by a few locals) when my salary was in the same range of German IT engineers and a few said that we take jobs from the Germans.
Simonst
The talk of my office this week is all about low waged work in Germany.

My boss said he watched a documentary all about people who are earning €2:50 an hour working in German factories. - car manufacturers included.

Its hard to get more info on the subject, but I guess if there really is no minimum wage then there really is no minimum wage.

Is this the reason German industry has remained so competative????
cicero
Low wages in car manufacturing would surprise me, as they enjoy a strong union representation. Might be some poor buggers stuck with temp agencies. The real low wage jobs are probably service-sector in East Germany like barbers.
cmellon
Beware of forced minimum wages and guaranteed employment laws. those countries that enforce these laws seem to have some of the highest unemployment and worst wages.

Look at Spain and Italy. Really bad. Businesses may actually need the help, but the law makes it too expensive and risky to hire. Both have generous minimum wages and guaranteed employment laws - and... nobody hiring in either country. No €1 jobs in Spain. No siree. Better to live on the dole there. Millions do.
Pages: 1 2 3
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.