Alternative ways to say "bye bye" in German

I don't like "tschüss" and "ciao" that much

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Danila
Weird first post, I know, but I've moved to Germany recently (3 weeks ago) and am living happily in Freiburg. The only thing aside from the bureaucracy that's really been bothering me, though, is how to say bye. I never used to say "tschüss" when I visited but it's gotten too hard to get around without. I've been told "ciao" is a little flirty, which, in an office full of women (about 85-90%) might be a bit problematic. "Servus" is more of a greeting (though I do love it), "auf weidersehen" is too formal, "ade" is too definitive, and while everyone would understand "bye", that's, well, English.

Have I just disqualified every way of saying "bye!" to Germans? I don't think that "bis bald" and "bis später" count, unfortunately, since everyone always says "tschüss!" right afterwards. Though I would be fine with those.

And, of course, if you want to jump all over me for such a ridiculous first post, please feel free -- I won't mind. :-)
gideon
bis bald, tchöööööö, servus, pf'di, bis später, bis nachher, as are all bis bits some form of bye.
sarabyrd
Avoid "tschüs" at all costs, it sounds like you've just been goosed.
(by the by, it's a bastardization of adieu, so if you're going to see the person again, don't use it either)
gideon
Was the original adieu a permenant good bye? A sort of renaissance way of saying "go shove your horse and cart where the Sun King doesn't shine"?
Expaticus
I always use Auf Wiedersehen.

It's a bit old-timey, and you're perceived as either well-mannered/bred or an ironic hipster doofus.

Nothing worse than people here trying to act casual or relaxed ("Ich bin voll eingechilled!" ... ) and hearing shit like "halloeschen" or "tschussi" in a Betty Boop voice makes my ears bleed.
bluedave
C ya.
mlovett
freak them out and say Moin Moin. They will think you're from the north. It's used for both hello (usually just one Moin) and goodbye/ see ya later.
eurovol
Hasta la vista baby!
HellesAngel
Servus
Pfuat' di
fRe4k
I always say "Schönen abend, ciao". Never thought that "Ciao" means something flirty. Maybe its because you are close to Swiss and French borders and the German language over there is influenced by other languages like French and Italian?
sarabyrd
Was the original adieu a permenant good bye? A sort of renaissance way of saying "go shove your horse and cart where the Sun King doesn't shine"?
A dieu as in I commend you to God
opposed to
Au revoir an in see you again
highered
Wiedersehen.
Bis morgen.
Ich verabschiede mich.

I've never thought of Tschau/Ciao as being flirty. In fact, it is often used in combination--one person says "Tschüss" and the other responds "Ciao".
bluedave
Just flip them the bird as you leave.
Gen
if you want to jump all over me for such a ridiculous first post, please feel free -- I won't mind. :-)
Someone in your profile picture already did.

Ciao is not flirty. Tschauie has to be said ironically to not sound stupid. If you can carry off the Pfüat Di (Gott behüte Dich), well then you're ready for Pfüat Eahna for the formal form. But that's Bavarian anyway.
Danila
Avoid "tschüs" at all costs, it sounds like you've just been goosed.
(by the by, it's a bastardization of adieu, so if you're going to see the person again, don't use it either)
See, that's what I mean. I'm used to Bavaria, not Baden-Württemberg. "Tschö" is even worse, "Auf Wiedersehen" is, like I said, out of the question because it's too formal, and you can only say servus to men, right?

Hmm, looks like it's stopped raining, guess I can finally walk home from work... ;-)

Thanks for the help! Pfuat di...?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.