Food storage times for the fridge/freezer

Thoughts on how long various foods will keep

leky
I was just reading about food storage, recommended times etc, but every site seems to have different answers, so I thought I would see what TT'ers think.

How long can I keep a chicken curry in the fridge? I made it Sunday and was planning on eating it today, but it is too bloody hot and I fancy a salad instead, so will it be ok tomorrow or should I freeze it??

Another one, eg: the FDA site says to cook or freeze mince/ground beef within 2 days of purchase but what if the sell by date is later than that, also what about Bacon & sausages, one website says to use within a month of freeze date, but i'm sure it said 3 months on the packet?.

Help

Ok thats all folks
Clapoti
For the chicken curry... it shouldn't be too bad if your fridge is cold enough.

A for meat (chicken, turkey, pork, beef... ground or not) I try to always freeze it the day I buy it if I know I will not eat it in the next days (2-3). As for sausages and bacon I don't think you should worry about how long you keep it in the freezer, I don't think it can go really bad, it might just taste the freezing after a very long period.

I'm not an expert, but I just wanted to share my opinion... so I'm not responsible for any health problems if you follow my advices

David
Tom34
I personally have a four day rule with prepared food such as chicken curry , meatballs and the rest.
Raw meat I have a two day rule
Cake 5-6 days..only if I made it myself and know what is in there.

Mrs Tom34
Lorelei
How long can I keep a chicken curry in the fridge? I made it Sunday and was planning on eating it today, but it is too bloody hot and I fancy a salad instead, so will it be ok tomorrow or should I freeze it??
I think it should be perfectly OK to keep in the fridge for a day. I regularly make chicken casserole and put it in the fridge for a day to cool properly before freezing it.

Another one, eg: the FDA site says to cook or freeze mince/ground beef within 2 days of purchase but what if the sell by date is later than that, also what about Bacon & sausages, one website says to use within a month of freeze date, but i'm sure it said 3 months on the packet?.
Sniff it and see. With raw meat, your nose should tell you pretty quickly if it's fit for consumption.
leky
Well I made it Sunday afternoon, so tomorrow will be 4 days, should be fine, it's vindaloo, does that keep longer Anyway I reckon the Indian restaurants probably keep if for weeks and just add more stuff to the pot.
eurovol
The ingredients will tell you how long something it refrigeratable. The biggest problem is souring. Beans and other green veggies are bad for that once cooked.

The freezer is directly dependent on the temp. By -20°C, you got 6 months till things start to freezer burn, by -80°C, you got more like 2 years.
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.