Life in the Milbertshofen area of Munich

Info and opinions on living there

Pages: 1 2

thiggy
In mid-August I'm moving to Milbertshofen.

What's the area like? I haven't looked around it before.
thiggy
Cor that was a quick move.

I'm living in a student type place, eg have my own place, but the building is with other interns/students.

Close to OEZ and Olympia is about all I know.
sarabyrd
Personally, I find it delightful and can hardly wait to move back even though my balcony only boasts a perfect view of the BMW parking garage and the foundry blocks out any fireworks from the Olympiapark.

The public transport is awesome, two U-Bahn lines (U2 and U3) whiz you to town in upmost 12 minutes, various east-west buses ease the agro of Munich's star-shaped system, streetcar 27 brings you into the heart of Schwabing and its night life. The nightlife in Milbertshofen itself is subdued unless you really dig Greek restaurants.

Shopping-wise you cannot complain: Penny, Lidl, Norma, REWE and Tengelmann represent the chains while your friendly neighborhood Greek or Turk vegetable/fruit/butcher store covers your needs for fresh produce.

The Luitpoldpark and Olympiapark are there for the asking when you want some nature and space.

You made a good choice!
fraufruit
I like that area a lot and would live there so long as it wasn't downwind from the BMW painting facility.

Some nice restaurants around and walking/biking distance for shopping for the most part.

I hope that both of your moves go without a hitch!
bengreen
Cor that was a quick move.

I'm living in a student type place, eg have my own place, but the building is with other interns/students.

Close to OEZ and Olympia is about all I know.
Is it the Knorrstraße halls? If so, that's where I am.
thiggy
Yeah it is!

Cool!

Opposite the big orange cube?
thiggy
Actually no, Its here?

The student accommodation "Schleißheimer Straße" in the Munich city district "Milbertshofen" (northern Schwabing) at the corner of Schleißheimer Straße and Keferloher Straße has been finished and occupied in the end of 2004.

Its opposite a big orange cube.
sarabyrd
Umm, there are three big orange cubes in Milbertshofen. One is the Amazon depot on Moosacher, the other is the BMW kindergarten/trainee housing on Riesenfeld, the third is the Bürgerhaus, which is the one you mean. Saying "a" big orange cube can be misleading.

That location is perfect for both U-Bahn lines, the Plus store is good for staple needs, the chicken stand in front of it is fantastic, and Blücher at Keferloher/Blücher is a great place for cool beer, a cheap feed and communal soccer experiences. I'll surely see you there.

Keferloher also boasts a 18-hour-a-day laundromat with one extra large washing machine perfect for bedclothes.
jxn
I live on Schopenhauerstr. and I really love the peace and quiet. I used to live at the Isar, Erhardtstr - the traffic Lärm & the constant pigeon attacks on my tiny balcony drove me away. As mentioned above, the parks are great for jogging, enjoying the sun etc, public transportation is great, and even walking home from Münchner Freiheit is a not a problem (even if you're drunk!).

One thing that's not been mentioned is the cafe in Petuelpark (I think that's the name, the one built on top of the Petueltunnel). It's the weird glass cube in the middle of the park, across from the bowling alley. They have nice 'cafe food' there, including a monster omelet chock-full of veggies, ham, and enough eggs to kill a horse

Cheerio
-jun
99luftballons
Hello Toytowners,

I am currently interested in renting an apartment that is located near the Petuelring U-bahn station (Hanselmannstrasse) . What I wanted to know if it is a good area/neighbourhood to live. Since I come from Rio de Janeiro, I'm not very worried about safety, but it would be good to know if this is a safe area as well. Mostly important, I would like to know if there are supermarkets, apothekes and restaurants nearby.

Please send me your opinions.
Topics merged by admin
sarabyrd
That location is perfect for both U-Bahn lines, the Plus store is good for staple needs, the chicken stand in front of it is fantastic, and Blücher at Keferloher/Blücher is a great place for cool beer, a cheap feed and communal soccer experiences. I'll surely see you there.
The Plus store has turned into a Rossmann drugstore. Hanselmannstrasse is a little bit between the shopping facilities but you can reach most of the above stores in five minutes on foot.

EDIT: Just for the hell of it, here's a map
grnflash
I'm not very worried about safety, but it would be good to know if this is a safe area as well.
Topics merged by admin
The entire town is ridiculously safe. There's probably more murders on any given night in NYC, than there are bicycle thefts in Munich. But if you're looking for more specific information, I live a block from the U-Bahn Haltestelle at Milbertshofen, and I walk to work every day, walk back from the bars late at night, never once have I seen anything that looked shady going down.

The area has really good access to the U-Bahn in two or three places, and the night trams or busses stop about a block away to the south. Good inexpensive shopping in the area too, with quite a bit of variety.
Malcolm Spudbury
near the Petuelring U-bahn station (Hanselmannstrasse) . What I wanted to know if it is a good area/neighbourhood to live. Mostly important, I would like to know if there are supermarkets, apothekes and restaurants nearby.
There are a few shops on Riesenfeldstrasse which is one block over from Hanselmann. There's a Penny Markt, a Getraenkemarkt, an Apotheke (Schlecker if I remember correctly) a newspaper shop, a Greek fruit/veg store, and a few others.

There are a couple of restaurants in the area. Flugfeld on the corner of Schopenhauer and Hanselmann was pretty good.

I lived there for 4 years and never saw any trouble.

From Petuelring you've got the U3 which is convenient for getting into town (Marienplatz), and since I moved they extended it in the other direction and now you can get to the OEZ. There's also the tram 27 which takes you down to Karlsplatz.

Hanselmannstr is closer to Petuelring U-Bahn than Milbertshofen. If you walk down towards Milbertshofen there are more restaurants and shops. The Greek one in Schopenhauerstr was good.
exquitius
I lived on Hanselmann strasse for a number of years.
Location was 100%. Norma grocery shop is round the corner, and a Penny Markt is on the other side of the Underground station.
Transportwise its hard to beat. You have an underground to town in 10 mins to either Marienplatz or the main station and the stairs to the platform are just at the end of the street. Or 3 stops outbound you have the massive OEZ shopping centre, biggest in Bavaria.
Theres also a tram to town which is good because that also runs all through the night every hour, or every half hour at weekends.

The only negative about my experience there was the building I stayed in (Nr 11 if I remember right, on google maps a very square looking building), which was terrible. My apartment was literally only 12 square metres and was constantly far too warm, especially in summer when the sun in the morning came up and cooked you.
Every other building on the street though was 100% and I wouldnt mind moving there again to a normal apartment (but not to that building!!)
Malcolm Spudbury
The Norma you're talking about became a Penny Markt - the one I mentioned in my post above.

The other Penny on the other side of the station is a fair walk away.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.