Rules on bringing home made food from the U.S. - Germany

Regulations when taking a flight into Germany

Pages: 1 2

Yasmapaz
Alo! My sister is coming to Germany from USA. There is a tipic food that is only made in my city. They sold them raw to prepare at home. I was wondering if is possible to bring it with her in the bag. The thing is that is a cold product not in a sealed package but in a carton box., is allow to pass raw cold food to Germany? Is made of rice >.< So we think of pack it with dry ice in one of the checked bags. No in the carry ons.

Thanks for your help!
Kuzzer
C'mon, @Yasmapaz- I'm intrigued as to what this raw rice-based comestible might be . . . can you give us any more clues?

And as for packing in dry ice - BAD idea, B-A-D idea - just what do you think the TSA will make of a suitcase that's leaking frigid smoky fumes?! Did you by any chance mean Ice Packs?

K
wren
That's not going to work, at all. The mere scent of an apple that my husband insisted on bringing as a snack, but had eaten about 3 hrs before landing, was enough to set the beagle off. We had to have our bags completely searched by customs.
mere
i've traveled with cheese, beer, root beer, dog food, and dog treats and have had no problem (some in luggage some in carry on). plus other food stuff (dried food mixes etc).
kitty_kat
Dried food being the important point from the above.

Raw foods are suspect.

Of course you could always just call the airline you plan on flying on and just ask.
Showem
The airline can't help you, you have to try customs. Here is the German Customs webpage, in English. Take a look and see if the answer is there. If not, send them an email. It will depend on the ingredients of this mysterious raw dish.
AnswerToLife42
That's not going to work, at all. The mere scent of an apple that my husband insisted on bringing as a snack, but had eaten about 3 hrs before landing, was enough to set the beagle off. We had to have our bags completely searched by customs.
I have never seen beagles at German airports. You mean bagles?
I only saw beagles at American airports.
Kuzzer
Hello Mods - why did my last comment get deleted? It wasn't exactly rude or defamatory? Pretty harmless, actually.
Betty Tyranny
The airline can't help you, you have to try customs. Here is the German Customs webpage, in English. Take a look and see if the answer is there. If not, send them an email. It will depend on the ingredients of this mysterious raw dish.
I don't know if I'd trust the Zoll site (even though it should be the authority). It's the reason why I didn't have my friend bring over a bunch of stuff from the states. Later I was told it would've been no problem.

According to Zoll:

Foodstuff
is for consumption. In the Law on Foodstuff and Necessaries food is defined as "stuff intended to be consumed by man in unchanged, prepared or worked condition".
There is a distinction between

* foodstuff of animal origin
e.g. meat, milk, eggs, honey and
* foodstuff of plant origin
e.g. potatoes, mushrooms, wine and vine leaves.
Which pretty much includes everything. By this definition, a candy bar is verboten.
Showem
Well it was helpful to someone when I gave the advice 4 years ago.
Bell the cat
I flew with frozen Hallibut and Samphire wrapped in freezer cloth from Edinburgh to Munich recently - it was for a dinner party.
Betty Tyranny
Well it was helpful to someone when I gave the advice 4 years ago.
Sorry, I forgot. The new people around here aren't equipped to give advice.
wren
I have never seen beagles at German airports. You mean bagles? I only saw beagles at American airports.
Yeah, I think it must have been an American airport. We've had an unfortunate series of airport mishaps over the last few years so some of the specifics of individual events are slightly jumbled. It's been fun!
Allershausen
I flew with frozen Hallibut and Samphire wrapped in freezer cloth from Edinburgh to Munich recently - it was for a dinner party.
But Edinburgh is in the UK, which is in the EU, which means you can transport foodstuffs from one country without any restrictions, normally anyway, unless some new disease has broken out in Britain again. Bringing food from the States is a whole other kettle of fish!
RainyDays
Another extract from the Customs hp, where restrictions on importing "fish, molluscs and crustaceans" and meat and dairy products from non-EU countries are explained:

If meat, milk and products manufactured from them (such as cheese or sausage, including canned goods) are imported privately, these products must meet the same veterinary requirements as commercially imported consignments. This means that travellers who are carrying such goods are only allowed to enter Germany at certain entry points where a veterinary inspector is on hand. In addition, the products must be accompanied by official health certificates from the country of origin.
Foodstuffs that contain milk or cream in small quantities (e.g. cream toffees, chocolate or biscuits) are not affected by the new regulations.
It is very important to bear in mind that all goods that are subject to prohibitions and restrictions must always be declared at the frontier customs office when imported into the EC (and always when exported). The submission of a proper customs declaration is even necessary if the value is within the tax- and duty-free allowances.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.