Hello everyone…Guten Tag!
I’ll try to make this quick and simple. Please Help with any advice if you can. Here it goes…I understand that there’s a couple of U.S. military base(s) in Frankfurt Main. Can anyone tell me if there’s an apartment that I can rent near the base(s), preferably walking distance. My German is not good. I’m currently living in the U.S. Obviously, I plan to move to Germany, preferably Frankfurt Main. I’m a Barber. Once I’m there, I know and understand that it’s going to be extremely difficult the first 6 months to a year. For income, I like to start building clientele from our U.S. military personnel. I do regular haircuts, skin fades and shadow fades, razor line up. Here’s the plan…
1. When I get there in FFM…I will stay at a hotel for about 14 days while looking for an apartment hopefully within walking distance to U.S. military base/housing. It is somewhat critical during this time as I would like to get an apartment as soon as possible as staying in a hotel is expensive. I won’t have a car, so getting around would be by foot, taxi, or public transportation. The apartment I’m looking for would preferably be unfurnished 2 bedrooms, 1 living room, 1 kitchen, and 1 bathroom. I read about some of these places being real safe and nice…Bornheim, Bockenheim, Nordend, Sachsenhausen. I read somewhere on TT that Hanau has a lot of U.S. personnel living there…is that a good area? One more area I need to know….is Braunschweig??? Are there U.S. military Base/Housing there? If anyone has any recommendation of a place that‘s near a military base/housing please let me know in detail to what street the apartment would be on. (BTW…what does cold rent and warm rent mean?)
2. Income. This is obviously the most critical. During the first couple of months while I’m getting use to the weather, lifestyle, etc. I will do barbering for income. I would like to know if anyone is willing to give me a try??? Awhile back I cut a U.S. military personal who was stationed overseas in Belgium and when I was done; he said that he wished he had a good barber like me in Belgium. Please don’t misunderstand. I’m not trying to show off or say I’m the best or anything like that. I’m not the best and not the type that like to show off. It’s just that he gave me the idea that I can actually move to Germany. I believe that if I can give you a good cut and good customer service, you will come back again.
3. Tools. This is critical. As I understand that in Germany they use 220v. I will bring tools from U.S. with transformers, but don’t know how it will work in Germany. Anyone know where the barber supply shop in FFM is? The tools that I use are Oster 76 Clipper with 7 metal blades from 000 – 3.5…..Wahl 5 star Clipper with a set of 8 plastic guards from #1-#8. Andis T trimmer. And ofcourse a straight razor with razor blades and scissors but I’m sure that can easily be found. In Germany they probably use different brands and stuff, but my point is if anyone know about the tools, what are some of the similar tools that they have to what I use and what the names are and where the Barber supply store is.
4. Future. When my German is somewhat decent. I would like to look for a small place to expand and open a Barber Shop. I understand that this is not easy. But, can someone give me an idea how hard it is to open up a small barber shop(600-900 sq. ft.) there? Is it like the same way you would do it here in the U.S.?
5. Other. I will have a world phone and is already unlocked. I will need a SIM card once I get there and more likely start on a pre-paid basis. Anyone know how much it cost and are there a lot of cell phone dealers around.
I understand it’s going be difficult… like getting a resident/working permit etc. and among other things… and I will probably run into many problems. So, any advice would be much appreciated. If there are no changes in plan. The time frame that I’m looking to making the move is sometime between Dec. ’08 – Jan. ’09. taking a German course this semester and it will end in Dec.