Jobs on U.S. Army bases in Germany

Tips on how to find such work

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would have any info on how to go about getting a job at an army base.
My husband came from New Jersey to Germany and is looking for employment at a base, only thing is, they always keep telling us to apply online which he did.
Im kinda curious if there is any other possibility to get a job there or at least get an appointment with someone at the personnel office there.
He is looking to work as a army civilian so if anyone has any info about it I would really appreciate it...maybe some of you already work as an army civilian and can give us any pointers or something.
Thanks for the help in advance
If he's looking to work as an "Army Civ" (aka: With ID card / Bene's) then he must apply online. There is no other option. He must also
be hired from the US, and not from within Germany (AKA: Local Hire) to get these bene's.

If he doesn't want the ID card and bene's, then he must come to Germany and apply for a job as a local hire.
To get these jobs its best to contact the local base job office, or look in the classified adds of the local newspaper.

Local hire jobs are mostly menial/low skill jobs such as a cook at the base BK. The good jobs are Govt. Contractor, NAF and DOD Civ.
jobs which are only avail via the "Online Web site".
Are there any part time jobs available? My wife is a trailing spouse. She mostly stays home with kids, but may be open to some part-time work. Daycare / tutoring might work for her. PhD in Chemistry has to be useful to someone. Or maybe not... (kidding honey )

It makes us sad we can't get on base and eat Taco Bell or watch July 4th fireworks

We will be home 2 weeks in Fall, is that enough time to apply from the US I wonder?
How should I know.. Contact your local Base Job Office, AAFES Store, Child Support center...

Nope.. Min Time is 6 months (has to do with German Rules/Laws) and applying in the US is only for DOD,NAF and Contractor jobs.
She's already in Germany and doesn't qualify for those type of jobs. Once you have a German Living permit, your no longer
considered for these type jobs. You will be treated as a local hire and only qualify for Local hire type jobs.
Working for the Army and the associated benefits are very complicated. It depends on numerous factors. Sometimes you can be hired from here, sometimes you can't. If hired from here the benefits will likely be different than someone hired in the US. There are also many diffrent classifications of employment and they have diffrent ways of being hired and with very diffrent pay and benefits.

However, short answer to Gatze is that many of the child care facilities are desperate for help (not sure about Stuttgart) so contact them and ask if they have openings. these jobs are generally not great pay, but it gets you on post where you can talk to others and learn the ropes on getting into a better position. It also gets you access to Taco Bell.

Zoosaloo, you probably won't get an appointment witht he personnel office. They are notoriously useless and even if they let yo come in they won't be able to help much. the hiring systems is very inefficent and can take months from application to hearing anything from the Army (if at all). Best advice is to talk to someone who works on post and ask them to help you out.
The best way is to get a friend who is a soldier or has priveledges to the base to sign your husband onto post. He could then go to the employment office on base (it has a special name but I can't remember it. if I do I will repost with it), ask for a list of current jobs or also for those that they are always accepting applications for. He should then ask for as many applications as jobs he is interested in. He will have to fill out a separate application for each job he wants. (fun no?) He will then turn these in and wait. It may take 2-3 weeks before he hears anything or it could take months. Spouses and military families have priorities on these jobs so even if your husband has better qualifications they will choose a military spouse with few qualifications over him everytime. I know it sucks. I looked into working on a base after I interned on one here in Germany and decided finding employment in Germany was easier than working for my own country. (which so far it has been)

Do you know what kind of work he is looking for? I still have some contacts at a couple bases here in Germany so even if he's looking at a different base I may be able to get exactly who he needs to contact from one of my friends/colleagues there.

To be honest the best way to get a job on a base overseas is to apply from the states and get hired from there. If you are hired here they won't give you living allowance which is usually quite a lot of money so that even if the pay isn't wow and wonderful a person could practically live just off the living allowance. I'm sure he used the following webste to apply before but just incase he didn't I'll post the offical government website usa jobs
red rose
The office called HUMAN RESOURCE
The office is actually called Civilian Personnel Advisory Center (CPAC). They are generally useless and won't help you find a job at all. You should try and you might find a helpful employee, but don't get your hopes up.

Most likely they will tell you to go to this website. If you have any questions about the application process feel free to PM me.
I currently work for a contractor under Technical Expert (TESA) status, and while the pay is pretty nice, the hours are insane, and there's always the specter of OR (ordinarily resident) status hanging over my head. I've been trying to get a GS job (Army civilian - government employee) job here for the past three years with not a single bite (no preference points). If your husband had at least 10 years in the Army, he might be in good standing for some of the contractor jobs, or if he's in IT.

Best advice if you want to work as a contractor over here: leave Germany. Contractors will not hire ORs for most positions, and once you have a residence permit, you are an OR. Also, ORs cannot be hired for GS positions, and should you get lucky and actually get one, you are unlikely to get housing benefits if you were not living in the States when you took the job. If you have a little savings and wish to stay on this side of the pond, hang out over the border in CZ

And I echo the others on the general worthlessness of CPAC. Think of it more as the HR department for people who already work for the Army.
This is the website to go to for jobs with the DOD:
Nope.. Min Time is 6 months (has to do with German Rules/Laws) and applying in the US is only for DOD,NAF and Contractor jobs.
She's already in Germany and doesn't qualify for those type of jobs. Once you have a German Living permit, your no longer
considered for these type jobs. You will be treated as a local hire and only qualify for Local hire type jobs.

I am responding to this comment above that I just read. Can you please tell me where I would find out this information? I have been here for 6 years in germany and am looking at getting a job on base now. I was told by my German tax advisor that all I need to do is an "abmeldung" from my current job and as long as I pay taxes to the US it should not matter. But that did not sound right so I want to make sure the rules but do not know where to look. I go home (back to the States twice a year) and my address on my Stateside bank accounts are my Mothers. Not sure if that helps.

Thanks for anyones advice or direction.
PM sent on your request.

Would you please send the information to me as well?

Thank you
Here is the definition of Ordinarily resident, it it applies to you, you cannot apply for any type of US position (AF, NAF) unless you return to the US for at least 1 year. You can apply for any position designated Local National (External)

Ordinarily Resident: A person with ordinarily resident status is a U.S. citizen to whom one of the following applies:

  • Before 1 January 2005, the person obtained a work permit or worked in the local job market without NATO Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) status while residing in the host country.
  • After 1 January 2005, the person obtained a residence permit and engaged in a business activity or was employed in the local job market while residing in the host country. This includes a person who has requested a residence permit for working purposes or to pursue gainful employment.
  • The person resided in the host country for the time shown below without status as a member of the U.S. Forces or civilian component as defined by the NATO SOFA:[list=1]
  • In Belgium: 90 days.
  • In Germany: 1 year.
    NOTE: The above definition of ordinarily resident status applies in all countries unless a different definition has been agreed on with the host country. To no longer be considered ordinarily resident, the individual and applicable family members (spouse and dependent children) must form an affiliation with another country and establish a bona fide resident status in that country for the minimum amount of time required by the former country’s rules to terminate ordinarily resident status in that specific country.

  • There can be an exception made to the ordinarily resident status if you have never held a work permit or local job, but bear in mind that most US positions hired locally will go to military spouses and family members.

    Going to the HR office will not help at all, basically the way things work is, the office/location/unit submits a position description/job opening to the HR office, the HR Office then reviews it & then posts it to the website, you would send in your resume/cv/apply online. HR reviews your application to see if you are qualified and are eligible for the position, if you are both qualified and eligible then you will recieve a letter telling you that you have been referred.

    The HR office then send the packet of qualified, eligible applicants to the office the job is located in (interviewer) if the position is designated Local National then the applications will be marked by order of preference, as in Severely handicapped, Family members, Inservice etc. The person doing the selecting will then look through the applications and normally will make a skills/education matrix to grade each application, and then may or may not interview. Once a selection has been made the selector will then send the paperwork back to the HR office and the HR office and the works council (BV) will check the paperwork to ensure that the process was done correctly and will then notify the person selected. The whole process can be quite quick or can be very drawn out & take forever.
    Thanks LEKY! I don't think I want a "proper job" ....Just trying to get some benefits like using the school system, etc....My husband is European and has his own business so we would still pay German taxes regardless. I am just thinking of quitting my current job and working part time while my children go to school. I am currently paying to enroll them in the American school on base so am thinking a part time job on base would get me these benefits as school is VERY expensive on base.

    Thank you very much for your input.
    Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
    TT Logo
    You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.