Making your own self-rising flour

How much baking powder to add etc.

Zizy
I have a recipe that calls for SR flour. I thought to use plain and add baking power, but the recipe calls for me to add that too! So, what should I do? THe recipe says I need:

250g sr flour
1tsp baking powder

If I use plain, I don't want to add too much/less powder than I should.

Thanks!
HellesAngel
Self raising flour is nothing more mysterious than plain flour with baking powder in it. What's the recipe you're using? Normally just adding a teaspoon or two of baking powder works fine, add more if you want the thing to expand more, less if you want it more solid. Usually most recipes don't need precise amounts so guesswork will be just fine.
Zizy
The recipe is for chocolate mocha muffins. I was going to use plain flour and add baking powder, but then saw it wanted me to add a tsp anyway! Now, I don't know how much to use.
UrbanAngel
For 1 cup and 2 tbsp of plain flour, you need half a teaspoon of baking powder.

Apparently there are 229.92 grams per cup (thanks Google) so it's probably a cup and a bit.

Just lob in half a teaspoon to make it into self-raising, then add the extra teaspoon that the recipe wants you to add.
westvan
One cup self-rising flour equals:
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, plus
1/8 teaspoons salt.

Just mix up two cups and use what you need
Zizy
Great, thank you guys!
Valeriea
I have an old cutting from a womans magazine in the UK. a lady from the UK living abroad asked how she could make SR flour. The cookery editor answered, add 2 and a half level teaspoons of baking powder to every 8oz(200g) of plain flour. I haven,t tried this yet but I will be soon. I hope this is useful to everyone.
brionybird
I (fortunately) did search Toytown before I asked about this (seriously, it is a good idea), and then did my own research to find a simple method of making SR flour:

To convert plain flour into self-raising flour, add two teaspoons of baking powder to each cup of plain flour. (If you are using metric measurements 1 cup = 150g)

Adding one teaspoon of cream of tartar and half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to one cup of plain flour gives the same result.

Australians usually use SR flour for baking, but occasionally older recipes use the above method to make things rise, which works exactly the same way as self-raising flour.

Useful German terms for the supermarket:

Baking powder = Backpulver
Baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) = Natriumbikarbonat

Just used this flour to baking powder ratio to make cupcakes and it worked perfectly!
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.