Potential problems from a stolen SIM card - Germany

What could thieves do if it's blocked already?

Pages: 1 2

Allershausen
My Daughter has just had her handy stolen! However she found it lying in the street almost straight away, but the SIM card has been removed! She's called the phone company and they've cancelled the card, at a cost of €13, but I was wondering if we could get any more problems with this. I can't understand why anybody would just steal the SIM card, when it can be blocked so easily. Any of you people working for mobile phone companies know of any problems we could have or shed some light on what the thieves could do with a blocked SIM card?
Darkknight
Retrieve the contents of the Phone book, and any stored SMS'es, are the 1st thing that come to mind.
Corcaigh
Surely whoever stole it will get stopped by PIN / PUK (or is there an easy way past that?). If it was mine then the thing I'd worry about are the numbers I have stored...
cyn
No, you registered the SIM as stolen!

If someone would use it for harassment purposes, the cops might be looking for you coz the card is registered under your/your daughters name, but because you registered the card as stolen nothing should cause any further problems.

EDIT: They steal only the SIM in some case, god knows why, maybe coz they cant be arsed to let the phone unlock before they could sell it on to someone else. The majority of ppl dont realise their mobiles gone for hours, so they got plenty of time to do their drug business, harass ppl and so on
Allershausen
Well I just spoke to her and she says that the numbers are just her friends and the SMS's are just the usual teenage rubbish so hopefully that's it, the thieves have got themselves a useless piece of plastic and silicon! I'm just pleased she's got the phone back, that would cost quite a lot to replace whereas a new SIM will "only" cost €30.
leky
Quite odd that, mostly thieves keep the phone & ditch the sim. Anyway can they even access the sim card if it has been blocked? Maybe they hoped that it was a pay as you go, as most people won't bother to report those stolen as it would cost more to block it than to get a new one.
adrianlondon
They'll use the SIM to make long distance calls for as long as it takes you to cancel it - half an hour call to, say, Nigeria, will save them quite a bit.
Allershausen
It was stolen from the school sports hall, so less likely to be used to phone Nigeria, I hope. It was probably turned off as well, as she was at school, so all in all pretty useless. As you say they were probably hoping it was a pay as you go. I guess some peolple will steal anything, a lesson I hope my Daughter has learned today!
Darkknight
Info. can still be read off of a Locked SIM, by putting it in a USB card reader and connecting it to a PC.
Since the entire process doesn't require the carrier network, it works every time.
Allershausen
Which means they'll get lots of phone numbers for Sabi, Flo, Karo etc., not what I would call useful info really, except for nuisance calls. Lets face it teenagers aren't exactly secretive about their handy numbers anyway, so hopefully it will just get junked.
SleeplessInMunich
They won't be able to read much without the PIN. Nearly all the files are protected by at least the PIN.
Krieg
Yeah, the PIN, that very secure password made of 4 digits.
SleeplessInMunich
That will be blocked if entered incorrectly 3 times.
MadAxeMurderer
SIM is right (well he should be, as far as I know he actually designs SIMs)

The SIM is a little computer, and if the connecting computer i.e. your phone, or USB reader or whatever fails to properly authenticate after 3 PIN entries it will shut down and refuse to talk except to receive the PUK. If that fails 10 times, it becomes a dead piece of silicon.

Its not like a floppy that you can just read at will.

So the KGB are going to be deprived of Sabi, Flo, Karo etc, and the fascinating SMSs they sent each other. Although now I think about it, SMSs are stored on the phone these days, not on the SIM.
SleeplessInMunich
SMS's are still stored on the card but can be moved to the phone to free up space in the SMS folder.
Pages: 1 2
TT Logo
You are viewing a low fidelity version of this page. Click to view the full page.