Receiving a speeding ticket in the mail

79 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi

Got a speeding ticket in middle of April, driving a hire car - and doing over 80 in a 50. Still not had a ticket yet though and its 5 weeks and counting. What's the typical time it takes and I've heard then take some KM off your speedo reading for tolerances ???.

Does anyone know about this ?

Thanks

Posted

The ticket goes to the rental company who pays it and then bills you. I am not sure which repercussions this has on your right to protest the charge, though. Ask a lawyer about that.

EDIT: Tolerance is 3%. So if you were doing 80kph tolerance is 2.4kph and you're still up the creek.

Posted

Thanks for that - but how does the ban work then if the hire company pays it ?

Also I had heard from friends tolerance was about 5 - 8 km.

Posted

Yes, but how exactly do you expect this to help you if you were driving at nearly twice the speed limit? Sheesh.

Posted

Not twice over the limit - on original thread I said abou 80 in 50, so if the tolerance is 5 - 8km then in reality its about 72 -75km in 50 zone which means no ban

Posted

The tolerance is 3 kph or 3% if you were driving over 100kph. If you were travelling at 80kph in a 50kph limit and have no previous convictions and are not in your probezeit you will be fined €60 + 3 points + €25,60. You can check it for yourself here: Bussgeldkatolog. You can also read the other thread about this by typing speeding into the search box on the top right of your screen.

Posted

check out the penalty calculator.

was it in a built up area or out of town somewhere?

how fast were you going exactly?

(going 81KMPH (after deductions) in a built up area gives you a 1 month ban for example)

Posted

Thanks for the information.

In answer to your questions after I had been flashed I looked at the speedo and it was about 85 ish, so after deductions probably 82 - 83 which means a 1 month ban. Not worried about the size of the fine, more the ban as be a pain to get into work etc. I've read that I can choose when to take the ban - is this correct and within what time period - go on holiday in 5 months so hopefully could take it then.

Also its been over 5 weeks and no ticket yet - is this usually how long it takes.

Thanks for the info.

Posted

Also its been over 5 weeks and no ticket yet - is this usually how long it takes.

I've received speeding tickets 2 or 3 months after the fact. Having a car rental company in the middle could mean it mght take even longer. Just sit back and wait and deal with any ban if and when it arises.

Posted

were you in a built up area or not? if not then there will be no ban!

I've had tickets take a minimum of about 4 weeks to get through to me. if you are concerned maybe contact the car-hire firm?

Posted

Thanks for that - but how does the ban work then if the hire company pays it ?

Also I had heard from friends tolerance was about 5 - 8 km.

The rental company provides the cops with your drivers license details.

Posted

I got caught at the beginning of April. The fine says that I was doing 56km/h in a 50km/h zone (about 100 metres before the 80km/h sign). But I distinctly remember checking my speedo (and no I do not mean the swimming kind :) ) when I was flashed and was travelling at 60-63 km/h.

Just got the €15 bill last week.

There was a discussion about tolerance levels which seemed to indicate fixed cameras have a 3% or 3km/h tolerance but cameras in the back of car have 10% and mobile ones (i.e. handheld) have 20% tolerance. But cannot vouch for this.

Posted

Zero tolerance. You should get a hefty fine and be banned. Why the hell do you think you should be privileged enough to do 80 in a 50?

Posted

Well your cars speedo has a tolerance as well. Speedos usually read faster than you are really going, so it's quite possible that you were actually going 59kph, which after the 3kph tolerance would mean 56kph, which because it is less than 20 kph over the limit means you only pay €15.

Posted

Oh I forgot to mention on top of the fine you get a sanctimonious post from Eurovol as a bonus!

Posted

I got caught at the beginning of April. The fine says that I was doing 56km/h in a 50km/h zone (about 100 metres before the 80km/h sign). But I distinctly remember checking my speedo (and no I do not mean the swimming kind ) when I was flashed and was travelling at 60-63 km/h.

Just got the €15 bill last week.

A couple of times when I drove past a speed reader (?), it seems to register 5 km/h lesser than what is shown on my car's speedometer e.g. car speedometer showed 50 km/h, the street speed reader showed 45 km/h. "SAFE-D" Is there an allowance on the speed reader already???

@Jay: Is all you get a €15 fine? Or is there demerit points too???

Posted

@ zimmer - You get this as well :P

Oh I forgot to mention on top of the fine you get a sanctimonious post from Eurovol as a bonus!

EDIT: On the other hand, if you really drive according to the speed limit you get passed left and right, even by police cars.

Posted

I have no tolerance for people who break the law and then come here posting looking for sympathy with the oh woo is me crap. :rolleyes:

As they say, don't do the crime if you can't do the time!

Posted

eurovol: I got flashed once by a hidden radar as I was passing a scooter. I just wanted to get by the darned slowpoke as quickly as possible, so I stepped on the gas a little harder than usual. At the time I was in a sports car which accelerated very quickly from 20 to 70. I suppose I could have just stayed behind the scooter until he turned off the road, or else waited a very long time until there was a huge gap in oncoming traffic so that I could stick to the 50 limit as I was passing... <_<

Ended up being fined 25 euros for doing 65 in a 50, no points. Lesson learned: always check for radar before passing bicycles and scooters.

(waiting now for my lecture ;) )

Posted

Yeah, I'd have delivered the sanctimonious post if Eurovol hadn't stepped in first. Think they own the world, these bloody drivers.

Posted

@zimmer: No points for 6km/h over the speed limit. You get points if your fine is €40 or over.

If you have the CD version of the Telefonbuch there is a whole section in there about fines. You get 1 point if you are 21-25 km/h over the speed limit.

Posted

I got flashed once by a hidden radar as I was passing a scooter. I just wanted to get by the darned slowpoke as quickly as possible, so I stepped on the gas a little harder than usual. At the time I was in a sports car which accelerated very quickly from 20 to 70. I suppose I could have just stayed behind the scooter until he turned off the road, or else waited a very long time until there was a huge gap in oncoming traffic so that I could stick to the 50 limit as I was passing...

I believe in Spain you can exceed the speed limit by 20kph if you are overtaking a slow moving vehicle, sounds like a good idea to me.

Posted

The Car Rental company will either forward the Bill/fine to you or they will pass your contact details onto the police and they'll send the fine

directly to you, which you pay. If it goes via the rental company, then its going to take anywhere from 1-3 weeks to get to you.

Posted

eurovol: I got flashed once by a hidden radar as I was passing a scooter. I just wanted to get by the darned slowpoke as quickly as possible, so I stepped on the gas a little harder than usual. At the time I was in a sports car which accelerated very quickly from 20 to 70. I suppose I could have just stayed behind the scooter until he turned off the road, or else waited a very long time until there was a huge gap in oncoming traffic so that I could stick to the 50 limit as I was passing...

Ended up being fined 25 euros for doing 65 in a 50, no points. Lesson learned: always check for radar before passing bicycles and scooters.

(waiting now for my lecture )

Scooters can and ususally do go 50 kph, you know. It's well possible that the scooter was a slowpoke only in your subjective perception because is has half as many wheels as your car. We scooter drivers are too nice by half anyway, staying on the right side of the lane instead of barrelling down the middle.

EDIT: The rental company pays the fine and sends you a bill. I have collected on such bills in the past.