Heathrow Terminal 5 woes

49 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

Is Terminal 5 still having teething problems?

BA is offering cheaper tickets, however, you apparently disembark at the dreaded new terminal. Or is it preferable pay more for Lufthansa flights where you are less likely to have baggage problems?

Has anyone been through the new terminal yet?

Have a good one ...

Posted

Travelled to UK on 12th and returned on 18th May with cheked-in luggage both ways. No problem at all. Found the sigs in Terminal 5 a bit user unfriendly but we figured it out! Were even able to check our luggage in an hour too early and they actually had someone at the Bag drop off counter :) (we had checked in online)

wd

Posted

Husband's boss went through there when the debacle began. Still waiting on the bags and now in discussion over amount of compensation he is entitled to.

Posted

Hubby and I went to London for the weekend in April and had no problems. Just had to wait a little while for our bags, and watch one of the BA baggage handlers throwing bags onto the conveyor belt (his supervisor heard us moaning about it, so I had a few words with him!!). When my hubby went to China in March, it took a week for his bag to get back, and it was delivered at 4am!!

Posted

Flew BA from Stuttgart to London April 19th and disembarked in Terminal 5. Changed terminals to 4 and had a 5 hr layover before flight to Chicago. Arrived in Chicago and waited nearly an hour for our luggage which never showed up. It was still in London! Got a voucher for $75 for the one bag we checked, but had to sign a release that we couldn't claim anything from travel insurance. They also gave us each a toiletry bag that had toothbrush and paste, razor, lotions, comb and BA t-shirts.

Since we flew on a Saturday and our bags were not going to our final destination, (we drove the rest of the way to our destination) our bag was shipped to us by Fed-X. It arrived by noon on Tuesday, 3 days later.

On the return flight, we disembarked in Terminal 4 and flew to Stuttgart through terminal 4. No lost luggage in that terminal.

Posted

My sympathies to everyone who has lost their luggage. What an absurd situation. Thanks for the information, it has definitely focussed my mind: Lufthansa it is.

Thanks again and cheers ...

Posted

We flew HAM => LHR & back early May with Lufthansa; no problems and all on time.

Posted

Lufthansa does not fly into Terminal 5. Terminal 5 is ONLY British Airways.

I flew BA to T5 recently and no problems at all. Think there is still a mess if you are changing flights to the other terminals as its still buses etc, but just to fly into T5 no problems at all now. Apparently early next week BA will annouce the rest of the schedule to moving ALL BA flights to T5.

They fixed all the problems a while ago, but decided now to take this slowly to ensure no further problems happened.

Posted

Has anyone had any experience with their disabled services? My Ma is flying in this Sunday and I don't want her to miss the connection to Munich due to long transfer routes and her dodgy knee.

Posted

Nope, but any flight in from the US with British Airways its probably Terminal 4 and most European BA flights now are Terminal 5, so its a messy bus ride between terminals.

Posted

Cool, thx. I have e-mailed her to request help, lessee if it works out.

Posted

My boyfriend and I had 8 flights between us through Terminal 5 in April and out of those 8 flights (within Europe and UK) only 2 were punctual. All the others were delayed between 1.5 and 3.5 hours. No problem with the luggage though.

I felt that BA handled these delays very poorly and did not make announcements on what was happening and didn't really properly apologise.

The terminal itself was fine though. Full of expensive shops which become increasinly uninteresting once you have been in them more than 3 times to pass the time.

Posted

I've flown via T5 four times in the last few weeks (back and forth to Stuttgart) and it's fine. It's big, clean, and because it's all BA, everyone seems happy and no one passes the buck. I brought my bicycle with me last time (from London to Stuttgart) and that arrived ok, in one piece, free of charge.

My bags didn't arrive though, but that's my fault. I was only allowed one checked-in bag and I had two bike panniers. So I stuck them both in a couple of bin liners ;) They must have ripped en-route as when the bags did arrive (by courier to the hotel the next day) they were separate with no bin liners in sight.

Note that they make everyone take their shoes off to go through the security screening so you have to walk around in socks, or bare foot, for a while along with everyone else.

Posted

Note that they make everyone take their shoes off to go through the security screening so you have to walk around in socks, or bare foot, for a while along with everyone else.

Its treating everyone like cattle. Same in Zuruch. For old people (I'm getting on that way) no chairs & they expect you to hop on one leg whilst untying shoelaces.

They didn't in Terminal 2 for Lufthansa...

Posted

I brought my bicycle with me last time (from London to Stuttgart) and that arrived ok, in one piece, free of charge.

BA has no charge on bicycles?

I want to take a bike with "Rücktrittbremse" to the UK - you can't get them there - and, apparently, it's illegal to use them in GB. I hesitated because I was convinced it would be too expensive. A van man I contacted said the transport would cost the tiny sum of EUR 250,00. The bike itself is over 10 years old and not worth even EUR 50,00, so I didn't take the offer.

Can you fill us out as regards this service?

Advance thanks and cheers.

Posted

Cannot blame BAA or terminal 5 for that though. I personally want to hire an arab to try and smuggle a bomb onto a plane in a bra, so that future security screenings at airports will mean topless ladies. Oh yes.

Posted

At Hamburg airport they have a much better solution - if the dont like the look of your shoes you are invited to place first one foot on a small plastic stool whilst they run their loop around it & then the other. No shoes off/on, no hopping around & no significant inconvenience...

Posted

Can you fill us out as regards this service?

With real airlines (not budget ones), sporting equipment is normally free.

Posted

Hmmm - would they transport my glider for me?

Posted

I've flown quite a few times to Heathrow T5 and never had any problems (other than the usual BA delays) but I've never taken checked in luggage either. It's actually really nice and best of all you don't have to get a stinking, cramped cattle bus to and from the plane like you do a Frankfurt ;-)

Tim.

Posted

Yes what you get instead if you arrive or leave from the B/C gates in the satellite T5 building is a cramped cattle shuttle train. So thats much better.

The stink will probably take a few years to develop.

I've been through about 5 or 6 times since it was built and the thing that gets me with T5 is that no matter what gate I arrive in it still seems like a half mile trek to get to immigration - you'd think they might have designed it such that it was easier to get there... Sure the departure gates are nearby (if you have an A gate), but arriving means a sturdy pair of shoes and a brisk pace.

Posted

Hmmm - would they transport my glider for me?

Lemme get this straight, this is a glider plane? And you want to transport it on a plane? :blink:

Posted

..ha Beardie, you sure you're not thinking of the million mile walk to from gates D50 at Frankfurt T2 to the back of a mile long queue to show your passport at the hopelessly undermanned passport control followed by the Skyline to T1 ;-)

You're right though, having to take the transit thing at T5 is a pain but it isn't anywhere near as bad as those God awful buses to the planes, at least not when I took it.

Anyway, go through them often enough and you can learn to hate any airport ;-)!

Posted

Lemme get this straight, this is a glider plane? And you want to transport it on a plane?

Its a Sportgerät and to get it from here to South Africa...

Can picture the kids watching it being unloaded from a 747: Mummy, look - that plane is giving birth!!!