Deadline for German tax returns

175 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there. I just have a quick query. I started a job at the end of November 2002 and haven't got round to filing my tax return yet. Silly me!

I thought that I had until the end of 2003 and kept putting it off. Now I find that I only had until 31.May.2003 to file it. Is this correct? Can I be fined?

I would really appreciate any info. Thanks a mill.

Posted

We filed ours last month (October 2003 for 2002 returns). No problem and are getting some back. Just do it.

Posted

End of May if you do it yourself, end of September if you use a Steuerberater. In both cases, if you can provide a good reason you can get extensions without being fined. You may have to pay interest on anything you owe them, however... (although they pay you interest if they owe you anything!).

Best thing is to send a quick letter saying that due to business commitments you are delayed and giving them a date you hope to be able to submit by. Fines don't start being levied until you get the first reminder letter. In Munich the Finanzamts are overloaded - they aren't too bothered with people who are a little late. Out in the sticks (e.g. Freising, Ebersberg), things are a little tighter.

The Finanzamt like to be informed - so long as you talk to them they are happy. Go quiet and they chase you.

Even better, get a Steuerberater - they have better excuses, and often save you money in any case.

With both a good Steuerberater, and a pocket full of good excuses, it's late 2004 I still haven't submitted for 2002.

YL6

Posted

you technically have until december 31, 2005 for your 2003 tax return.

i got in my 2001 return in on december 30, 2003. then again, they didn't really need my tax return anyhow.

Posted

I filed my 2001/2002/2003 tax return in LK Ebersberg in May 2004. They didn't care that they were late and I had my $$ back for all three yrs within about 4-6 weeks, with no penalties.

Posted

I was here working for the last 4 months of 2001. I finally did the tax thing in the end of 2003 and surprise, I ended up with over 3000€ in my pocket. I got back pretty much every penny I had paid to the government for the first few months of working. It was great, like winning the lottery. No penalties, etc. Just do it.

Posted

Tax payers who's only source of income is employment income (“Lohnsteuerkarte

Posted

A quick question related to taxes.

When is the deadline for filing the tax return for 2005?

Henrik

Posted

As far as I know it's April 6th, 2006. Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted

And if you miss the deadline, no problem. Do it with next years tax return. Doing two years in one go is allowed.

Posted

I just spoke to and advisor and asked what the deadline was. They said that it has now changed and you must file your return by the 31st December 2006 for the previous year.

Posted

This one will test the combined knowledge of all you clever people...

As all good queries start...

"I have a friend" (honest, Guv!) who has been here a couple of years and has done bugger all about filing tax returns and trying to claim money back. Has been here since Q4 2004. Now, the big question is when does the ability to retrospectively file and claim any avalable tax refunds run out? ie is 2004 now put to bed and gone forever?

My "friend" would be very grateful for a hint...

Topics merged by admin

Posted

I also have a "friend" who is a terribly lazy procrastinator. Is it still possible to file for 2005/2006 and get a refund? Does it really all have to be done online now?

Posted

I also have a "friend" here who hasn't actually told the tax man he's even here yet (since april last year) after some interesting advice from a tax accountant, who said "wait for them to contact u as in theory because of EU practices the uk tax office should inform the german tax man your here!" (get paid by a uk company into offshore account & don't have a german bank account as no need so far) :unsure:

But said"friend is now a bit concerned & would feel better if he did inform the tax man, just concerned over what they might say after not telling them for so long!

any advice would be appreciated.

Posted

simon: if your friend is getting his salary from a U.K. company directly, question is if he is not legally "entsendet" (i.e. dispatched) to do a job in Germany in which case, as I understand it, he is not taxed here in Germany. can you clarifiy his actual employment position a bit more?

Posted

Not dispatched here from work, purely erm "his" choice to come over to germany & continue working just from a different location.

He doesn't get tax taken off in the uk after having a residency ruling saying he's not resident in uk & also had a letter from the inland revenue saying he should be subject to social security legislation of member state in which is residing , so currently in process of having to get some public health insurance.

Posted

If your friend has advised the UK Inland revenue that he's living in Germany, then the UK IR will almost certainly advise the Germans in the fullness of time. The Germans will attempt to make contact with him to determine if he has any income to declare or should have registered with them or submitted a tax return. If he did have income to declare but has not registered/declared it within the time allowed they will levy penalties which could be severe. It's a general pre-requisite to pay tax dues in parallel to income. As an employee that means "pay as you earn" and as self employed that means a regular (usually quarterly) pre-payment according to your mutually agreed estimated income or tax liability.

Posted

So if my "friend" has decided to get off his arse & do something about paying some tax, who would he go & see for sorting it out bearing in mind he's been here slightly over a year already?

Would he just need to go & get a tax number from somewhere, or would it be best talking to another tax accountant & doing it through them?

Any advice much appreciated.

Posted

You might need to join a Lohnsteuerhilfeverein, a club that helps tax return. They did it for me this year and I got >2500 EURO back. The annual fee for that club depends on your income which should be around 100~200EURO.