Holiday tips for the Black Forest

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all

I'm looking for some tips on places to go in the Black Forest for the Pfingsten long weekend.

Places to visit, sights. eating tips, activities would be appreciated. I don't know if this kind of thing already exists elsewhere on the forum.

A mix of nature/activity/sightseeing and relaxing would be good. We will be travelling by car probably vioa Stuttgart and plan to get there on friday/saturday afternoon

Posted

If you go via Stuttgart, make sure you dont get into rush hour (esp. on fridays). Last year I stood there for at least 3-4 hours, while trying to reach the black forest. :(

Posted

I used to live in Villingen-Schwenningen and we always took visitors to the following places:

Triberg - Germany's highest waterfall and world's biggest cuckoo clock. There's a nice walk around the waterfalls and a little cafe at the end where you can treat yourself to a bit of K&K. Popular with tourists, hence LOTS of cuckoo clocks!

Titisee - Nice little town with a decent sized lake. You can walk around the See in a couple of hours or get a pedalo or rowing boat. Plenty of cafes and restaurants to choose from too. The Feldberg, which is the highest point in the blackforest is about 20 mins from Titisee although I'm not sure there's much there outside the ski season.

Freiburg - Good to wander round for an afternoon. You can also get a cable car up to Schauinsland for good views over Freiburg and the Rhein valley. Somewhere between Titisee and Freiburg is the Hexenlochmühle. Little winding roads take you down into a valley deep in the forest and eventually to an old mill, which has now been converted into a shop/cafe. It's a cool drive and worth the detour even if you'll probably only spend half an hour to an hour there (http://www.hexenloch.de/).

Apart from that Villingen itself is quite nice. Schwenningen is not as nice but boasts the source of the Neckar (not much to see though). Donaueschingen has the source of the Danube but again isn't particularly interesting. A little bit futher afield you have lake Konstanz and the Rhein falls, both of which are worth a visit but probably too far if you're only there for a long weekend.

Hope that helps.

Posted

Ha! We are planning the same!! Good tips! Does anyone know if accommodation be hard to get in this region?

Posted

There's plenty of accommodation in the Black Forest, so finding somewhere shouldn't be a problem. You'll have to decide if you want to stay in one of the main resorts or somewhere quieter. The Black Forest covers a very large area so don't attempt to see it all. Stay in one place, buy a hiking map and off you go. Triberg and Titisee are certainly the honeypots, and although very attractive they can be unbearably busy in high season. I would stay somewhere quieter. The northern Black Forest tends to be quieter than the more dramatic south.

Make sure you try the local specialities; the ham and gateaux are famous and delicious, but also look out for Kirschwasser, other local schnapps, fruit wines and honey.

In addition to wonderful walks, there is also good mountain biking in the region, and good cross-country skiing in winter.

Viel Spaß!

Posted

We stayed here years ago near the old mill mentioned above. The town in Neukirch and we stayed in the following place:

The owners are wonderful and friendly.

http://www.holiday-apartment.de/

It is in a very quiet village but close to hexenloch, Titisee, the waterfalls etc

Posted

If you want to splash out a bit and get a room with a great view, stay in Hotel Schloss Hornberg, a little north of Triberg. But ask for a room with a view, obviously.

Posted

I take it there will be numerous pensions/gasthauses for relatively little cash? Should I book in advance - I was hoping for somewhere that wasn't in tourist central that is still close enough to go to visit the waterfall and other more 'well known' sights.

That image is simply stunning! We'll be driving past Stuttgart around lunchtime so should avoid all the traffic later on

Thanks for all the tips, please keep them coming.

Posted

If you want somewhere cheap on a bank-holiday weekend, I would book in advance. You certainly won't be left homeless, but you may end up paying more than you hoped and/or spending half your holiday looking for somewhere to sleep. I would arrange everything in advance so that you can relax when you get there. If you want somewhere reasonably quiet close to Triberg, try Schönwald.

Incidentally, although they do indeed claim that the waterfall is Germany's highest, I would call it more a "series of waterfalls", so it's not Niagara Falls or anything. But it's very pleasant anyway.

post-977-1210155778.jpg

Posted

From some of the lodging pages I've seen, many places are no longer available. A place I called in Titisee said they have only one room left - guess who got it :) Prices seem reasonable, starting around 30 Euro per person... We'll probably drive too and go to the car museum across the border (?) at Mulhouse with Bulgatti cars etc. There's so much to see!! I've printed some 50 pages of guide around the area :) THANKS FOR THE TIPS! Keep them coming!!

Posted

From some of the lodging pages I've seen, many places are no longer available.

Thats probably because, Deutsche-Bahn has an offer (angebote) at the moment to 'Schwarz-wald'. So, many folks from all over must be flocking to that place. Also because its nearby to France and Switzerland and the weather is so good, at the moment.

Posted

can anyone provide tips on where i can book a pension or a ferienwohnung for the weekend?

I know it's a little late in the day but I still have over 24 hours

Posted

Decide which town or village you want to go to, and then go to that town's website. At the very least they will have a list of accommodation with phone numbers and website addresses, but generally they'll have a booking system where you can see availability and book online. Look for the "Unterkunft" link.

A Ferienwohnung is probably a little optimistic at this stage; they tend to get booked up early and will often only take weekly bookings. But you'll still find something in a Pension or hotel.

Posted

Places to visit:

Freiburg

Titisee

Schluchsee

Kandel

Schauinsland

Triberg

any of the many spas

etc

my fave restaurant:

http://www.baereneckle.de/

(not fancy, but GREAT food)

Posted

I just want to thank all for your tips. We enjoyed ourselves aplenty. We stayed in Lake Titisee which is really very pretty! at this cheap and cheerful pension Haus Bergseeblick . There is a train station in Lake Titisee so it's rather easy to reach for those without a car. We drove so we had our bikes with us which was good as we had a nice leisure cycle around the lake. The weather was great too. As mentioned, Hexenlochmuhle was indeed a nice detour! so is the Triberg Waterfall. We also visited the Museum there and numerous cuckoo clock shops! We are indeed amused with the stories we heard. We also drove to Mulhouse to see Schlump collection of Bugatti cars amongst other "oldtimers". Even for a fairweather car lover, I enjoyed the visit. I'll load my pictures up here when I get a chance. I'd say we'll go back to the region again as we fell in love with the forestation and landscape! :)

Posted

post-977-1210880726.jpg
The Black Forest is easy without a car. As well as the east-west Titisee route between Freiburg and Immendingen, there's also one of Germany's more spectacular lines, the north-south Schwarzwaldbahn line from Singen to Offenburg. Between Triberg and Hornberg the line does a series of twists and turns to drop over two hundred metres in only a few kilometres. Regular buses fill in the gaps where the trains don't go.

Glad you had a good trip, Zimmer; thanks for the feedback!

Posted

Forgot to add that with the accommodation, we were given a Schwarzwaldkarte (?) which allows free travel on all trains (regional) and buses in the region, which stretches even to Freiburg and Strasbourg. It also gives discount to some attractions e.g. Triberg waterfall: normal entry is 2.50 Euro and we got 10% off (Big deal, I know :)) I guess we partially paid for it with the "Kurtax" which is 2 Euro per person per day (chargeable with a hotel stay??).