Kabel Deutschland's Internet and telephone deal

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Having searched this forum for cable/Kabel references it seems, well, there aren't many. Is there any reason apart from availability why Kabel Deutschland's offerings aren't well received around here? I will have to decide which way to go and my flat in Berlin is cable ready for all the highspeed stuff. I'll want to be ablto to use VoIP services to communicate with Ireland as cheaply as possible and I'm wondering if KD is a viable option. Am I right in reading that it's a flat 40 a month for this bundle, or do they charge a line-rental as well? (I know it says Gesamtpreis, but maybe someone with KD can say for certain).

Has anybody here actually got a KD conection for internet/phone?

Posted

We just signed up for this Paket Deluxe package, but I haven't seen the bill yet. I'll post again once it gets deducted.

I posted more details below about the package, in case it's helpful for any newbies. It took me a long time to figure all the details about services, since my German is still pretty non-existent.

I called Kabel Deutsch and asked for an English speaker. They said someone would call be back in 5 minutes, and indeed he did. His name was Herr Seifert and his English was excellent. He said we can call anytime and leave a message for him and he will call us back (which is nice because their telephone number is a quite expensive pay-per-minute number.)

I signed up for an internet / cable / telephone package. After we receive the contract we have 14 days to cancel any portion of it, but it must be in writing. We will get a call from a technician to set up an appointment for installation. He said it should take 5-10 business days before we hear from the technician. I had to give him our Bank routing and account number. He did say they'd do a credit check to make sure we don't owe other companies money.

The contract is for 1 year. We will be automatically renewed for another year unless we cancel our contract in writing at least 4 weeks before our contract is up.

They will lend us a cable modem for the length of our contract.

The internet service is the fastest service: 30000 kbit per second. (I'm guessing this is "up to", as usual)

I also purchased a wireless router from them for 19.90 euros. The technician brought it with him when he did the installation.

The installation costs 9.90 euros.

Telephone service is VOIP, but it does include regular emergency service.

The package comes with two telephone adapters, so we can only use two telephones total, unless he have handsets that don't plug into the wall directly but only communicate to other handsets.

They sell Siemens telephones for 29.90 but I did not buy one since I wasn't sure how good they were. He said any normal phone will work.

They will assign two telephone numbers; we cannot choose them.

A list of all our calls with numbers and costs will be available over their web portal at any time.

The telephone service includes all normal features like caller ID, call waiting, conference calls, etc.

The telephone package includes unlimited calls to German landlines.

Calls to German cell phones are 23 cents a minute.

Calls to the United States and Canada landlines are 4.9 cents a minute.

I forgot to ask how much it costs to call US cell phones.

The telephone/internet package is 39.90 euros a month, but the first three months are 9.90 euros (they're having a promotion). All the fees already include taxes.

There are also a few optional telephone packages that I did not purchase, but he said we can add them at any time, through the internet or over the phone. They're month to month, they don't require a whole year contract.

Flat international for 14.90 euros a month: unlimited calling to US, Canada, and many other industrialized countries.

Best country for 2.99 euros a month: choose one country and get half off the minute rate, i.e. U.S. calling for 2.45 cents a minute instead of 4.9 cents a minute

Best mobile for 3.99 euros a month: get mobile calls in Germany for 13 cents a minute instead of 23 cents a minute

I actually want to add one of the optional packages, and I logged into the website to do it, but whenever I try I get an uninformative error message. I tried calling the service line but my German is not good enough to discuss it. They said they'd have someone call me back who speaks English, but I never received a call.

Posted

I have the KD English package and it's a waste of money. Getting my Sat. dish installed soon.

Dont get KD for the english package!

Telephone and Internet might be fine but you can forget the rest.

enjoy

Posted

I switched from Telekom & DSL to Kabel Deutschland a while back and have no regrets at all. It was a bit of a hassle having the man come round and hook it up (my flat was cable ready but he still had to go into the cellar and run wires up and through my flat)--took about 2 stress-filled hours (tracking down someone w/the right keys to the cellar, communication problems galore...) but since then it's been smooth sailing.

Posted

Can anyone tell me if it's possible with Kabel Deutsch telephone service to turn on

1. call waiting

2. some sort of answering machine service / voice mail

3. call forwarding

I found documentation on the Kabel Deutsch website, which said to push some series of buttons (R78 or something like that) to turn on call waiting, but I tried it and it's still not working. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Posted

I just got Kabel Deutschland internet today. They set up the cable modem and everything but the server was down, so he couldn't finish the installation. However, they told me to just wait and by the end of the day, internet should be up and running. It's now the end of the day and all I see on my browser is a Kabel Deutschland site that needs a user-id and password. I have neither and they never gave me one. I don't know what to do next.

Posted

Make your own choice of user-ID and password ... it´s only their customer portal where you can check your contract and service details

Posted

I don't know what to do next.

Call Kabel Deutschland would seem to be the obvious thing to do...

Posted

Hello,

So I've been trying to get Kabel Deutschland installed at my house for the past week or so. They seem really bad about communicating, and any time I call them to find out the situation, no one speaks English and every phone representative refuses to help me. I've got to constantly interrupt my German colleges to speak German for me, and it's getting really insane. They've told us to be at the house multiple times, and then it turns out we don't need to be there.

They keep claiming they will call me and keep me informed, but they never do. Are there any tricks that I am missing to actually getting decent customer service?

Posted

They are a crap company....I got royally screwed by them when trying to cancel a package I had with them 2 years ago...The said I had only cancelled my internet (even though I wrote I wanted to cancel all contracts) and then I had to pay a whole year extra for tv I never watched...Their customer service is rude and unhelpful even if you speak German. If you can get out of the contract now try and do it...

Posted

They were also completely incompetent at getting our service connected. However once it was installed, it was good (true 100mbit/s connection).