International DHL parcel deliveries

39 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I have been searching google and DHL.de about what's the difference of "normal" DHL Paket International from "express" DHL Paket International aside from the cost and time difference. But, I haven't found an answer.

Does the Normal DHL Paket International (which is cheaper but takes 3 weeks or more) mean that the package is dispatched to the normal post office of the foreign country, and that the recipient has to pick it up from their nearest post office?

Anyone has experienced this?

It seems that all international packages by Deutsche Post use DHL.

Thanks.

Posted

I think what you have already said is partly right, a normal package will be left at the nearest post office or pack station after 1 attempted delivery, but an express package has to be either delivered to you or picked up and signed for at the DHL Express station, they will attempt several deliveries (or so they say!).

Posted

DHL is Deutsche Post. You have found the answer: the Express option is faster but more expensive. Both deliver to the door.

@Leky: You're talking about Germany, but the question was about sending abroad.

Posted

Thanks for your replies.

I called DHL customer service and found out that the Normal DHL Paket International is a normal post package which is picked up at the nearest post office in the foreign country.

It's not the same as the DHL Express International.

Of course they are all Deutsche Post product/service.

Posted

I am virtually certain that they deliver to the door. I have never heard of a postal product that requires you to collect from a post office without them trying to deliver to the door at least once.

Posted

they deliver to the door but through the local post service. ie I pay DHL here in Germany to deliver my post and they take it to Canada and give it to Canada post and they deliver it to your door. I pay express post the DHL people take it to the door. Either that or the Canadian post takes it to your door faster and then the next level of post DHL takes all the way.

Posted

Yes. iain is right.

That's what I meant.

Normal DHL Paket International - delivered through the country's postal service.

DHL Express Paket International - delivered through DHL guys.

Posted

I have a similar question concerning this regular DHL... I notice when I use DHL's German website I can send a "Paket bis 20 kg (max. 120 x 60 x 60cm)" to the USA for only 66 euro??!??!? compared to the 300+ euro prices im seeing on ups, fedex, etc, this seems incredibly inaccurate. Is this the slow boat way that takes 3 weeks to get to the united states? I dont care about how long it takes, its for me moving back. Has anyone done this option before?

Posted

Prices are correct - note that online is cheaper than taking it to a post office, and it's usually more like 4 - 8 weeks.

Posted

I've been having a lot of trouble lately, i.e., since early July, with DHL Päckchen shipments to the U.S. One package was still sitting in Niederaula 18 days after I posted it. All shipments were sent mit Nachweis, but the RM number doesn't show on several shipments and shows but doesn't function on the usps.com site on others. I'm switching to using Paket, at roughly double the cost, but don't have confidence that it will somehow magically fix their screwy system. Maybe the key is to wait until the regular employees get back from vacation. Are others having this kind of problem?

Posted

Will DHL do a guaranteed next-day delivery to the UK? (Small package with bound documents.) I'm not worried about paying for it - my budget would extend to what it costs to get me on the plane and back, which given my destination and the need to stay the night (plane timetable is impossible) runs to at least 300 euros and possibly more.

If so, can I simply organise this at the post office? If not, other suggestions welcome! (Me stepping into a plane is really the last resort, though I'll do it if I have to - it's just tricky with work.)

Posted

Looks like you could use DHL Express - they claim to deliver the next day within the EU and have a money back guarantee. I haven't used this service myself.

Posted

Thanks, westvan - looks promising, and a quick check of the rate for 9:00 next day delivery puts it about 200 euros, which would be perfect. Anyone have any experience with this?

Posted

You did notice that you can't send it today, on a Sunday?

They would only collect it tomorrow and it would arrive on Tuesday before 9am at the earliest.

I used DHL Express, but they delayed a delivery once, to add insult to injury it ended up taking longer than if I had just sent it as a normal letter.

Then changed over to UPS, which has been reliable: https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_DE

Posted

Sorry that I wasn't clear - the package won't be ready to send for a little while, but I'm trying to plan in advance. And no, it's not possible just to have the thing ready to send sooner. (It'll be sent on a Monday, but it *has* to arrive the following day, or it'll be really ugly.)

So UPS is more reliable? I had assumed they wouldn't be an option from where I am, but I've just checked, and it seems there is a Mail Box etc store in my city which offers UPS (amazing!) so I'll give them a ring. They seem to have a guaranteed 12 noon delivery, which would work. (My peace of mind would prefer 9am, but not if DHL express is likely to bring delays with it.) UPS also appears substantially cheaper.

Posted

Just don't forget to take along your passport and Anmeldebestätigung when you go to the Mail, Boxes etc. store: http://www.ups.com/content/de/en/about/news/service_updates/retail_requirement.html

Posted

Will do. Luckily I'm a dual German citizen, so I don't normally have too many problems in these situations. And I've had good experiences with Mail Boxes etc elsewhere, so I'm hopeful my dilemma is now solved. Thanks very much!

Posted

Ok, Personalausweis then ;)

Posted

UPS are much much better. You can phone them up and arrange collection (more reliable than a forwarder), you'll need to pay in advance without an account.

Posted

Thanks for the extra reassurance. I'm happy enough to turn up at MBE - the location's fairly convenient anyway, and I'm not fussy about paying in advance. The main thing is that the package arrives on time.

Posted

If it's so urgent and important, I'd rather phone and book direct than trust a third party to take care of everything??

UPS will even give a collection time on Express Plus.

1kg A4 package is only ~150 EUR next day guaranteed.

We use UPS daily without any issues.

Posted

Think DHL are super! bought the Suunto ambit watch from a cycle shop in belfast online on a tuesday afternoon. paid and extra 8 pound and it was at my door on wednesday morning! unbelieveable:)

Posted

DHL rekommandier for shipment to US. Absolutely hasslefree experience